Building a stereo on a budget

Username: Synaethesia

Post Number: 1
I need a new stereo for my new pad but I'm strapped for cash. My budget is between 300-500usd for everything. I don't even own a television and this is by no means a home theatre system. For music and music only.

I'm not positive that I can build anything that doesn't truly suck with that price range, so I wouldn't mind at all building a cheapo rig from used components. The problem is I don't really know what brands and product lines I should be keeping an eye out for.

Thanks!

Post Number: 2
I forgot to add a few things too. I'll need a reciever, a set of speakers, and a cd player that can hold a decent amount of discs. I'm unsure about a subwoofer though. I like to feel my music quite a bit, but I don't want stupid boomy ghetto bass so I don't know if a sub is necessary or not.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1227
how big is your room?

Post Number: 3
well guestimating was never my thing but it'll be in a room about 15'x15'.

Another question, if anyone gets around to answering some of these for me, are big floor speakers (generally) better than book shelf. The main reason I ask is that a lot of good deals can be had on ebay, but it becomes much less of a good deal when you have to pay 70-80$ for shipping. Might be something I'll have to get locally.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3551
So your ex got everythig, Bonk?
jvc Kaboombox, 200 series, a fine multi-amp little kit.
I love mine, it rips.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4347
hmm, lessee:

Harman Kardon 3380 receiver, $200 shipped from jr.com

Marantz 4300 cdp, $145 shipped from accessories4less.com

Athena AS-B1.2 speakers, $135 shipped from audioadvisor.com

=====

If you're adventurous you could substitute a $140 Super-T Amp for the HK receiver:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-956&raid=27&rak=300-956

Google it for reviews.

Post Number: 4
Alright I looked up that stuff and it's pretty damn ace and downright almost perfect.

A few questions though, if I could somehow save $100 by getting that stuff of ebay or maybe finding some more dough, would it be better to get a more robust reciever, with some more rms going through it especially. Or perhaps a better cd player like a NAD or Cambridge or something, or better speakers (I really have no idea for teh speakers though). Of course I could consider adding an active sub into the mix too, but I'm not sure if that would sound good or not.

Thanks for teh recs. though, I dig them all. Exactly what I wanted everywhere.

Post Number: 5
Ugh I wish so bad this BBS had edit...but I am watching a Rotel RX-1050 for a similar price and if I could get it at around the same money would this be a better option for a reciever. I know it has multiroom, which I doubt I'll ever use, but it puts out a bit more RMS (100/chnl) and I don't want to underpower those speakers too much, though I obviously recognize your superior wisdom in these matters; I'm merely entertaining my curiosities.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4348
don't fixate on wattage numbers, they are largely meaningless.

The HK will be ample power for blasting those Athenas, the T-Amp should be good for loud but not blasting-levels and possibly provide better music SQ.

As for better CD players, I doubt you'd be able to hear the difference if you are stuck with a cheap receiver and (esp.) cheap speakers.

All depends on how much you can or want to spend; $300-500 is how much most people spend on a pair of speakers alone...and those being fairly modest speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 56
I agree with Nuck.

On a budget that small, you should buy a boombox. Dont worry about building a system until you have more than a few hundred dollars to spend.

Post Number: 6
I know my budget is pretty miniscule, but those boomboxes just don't do it for me. I just don't understand how the SQ and output can come anywhere close. I just don't know if I can come to terms with a KABOOMbox being my main rig, but I'll check it out no matter what. Thanks for the help.

Bronze Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 93
You might check out something along the lines of this:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4043571

Onkyo makes some cheaper models such as this
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4055623

to which you could add a 5 disc changer (or more) and with the last one perhaps even a powered sub if you were so inclined.

Silver Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 115
If you have more money for this go for better speakers over a better amp.

Post Number: 7
Alright I need to add another quirk in...I'm planning to get a synth in a couple months, would those Athena speakers be a decent choice for monitors as well as listening?

Post Number: 8
wahooo! just picked the hk reciever up off ebay for 88 smackers shipped!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us