NAD 370, Left Speaker "Pops" with Off & On

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 424
After moving to a new home and re-assembling the set up, my left speaker pops loudly when I turn the NAD 370 on or off. The setting of the volume control has no affect. It did not do this before the move. Any ideas about this, guys? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3541
Rick, reterminate the speaker wires and also run a ground from the Nad chassis to the catpeting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3542
Thats carpeting for the spelling impaired.
Sorry.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8901

There's a good likelyhood you have a bad capacitor on the outputs or in the muting circuit which has now shown up. It's fairly common for equipment to experience this sort of failure after being allowed to cool completely during a period when it is not plugged into an AC line. If the amp has a standby circuit, it remains warm any time it is plugged into the outlet. When you allow the amp to cool, the bad piece shows up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 425
Hmmmmm..I never used the remote, standby feature before, always turned it on/off manually. To get around it now, I just switch to the unused "B" speakers, then on/off. I suppose I could try hooking to the "B" speaker circuit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 426
I'm on TILE, Nuck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3543
Then forgoe my earlier rec, Rick.
How many years on the Nad? Following Jan's idea.
But the kit was on carpet before?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3544
Jan, will the unit be better when back to cooking again?

Silver Member

Post Number: 427
Bought the NAD in 2004...It was on a wooden shelf on a wooden floor before. Now it's in an entertainment center on tile. The NAD is plugged into it's own wall socket with a plug-in surge protector.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3547
Hmmm, did you reterminate, Rick?

Silver Member

Post Number: 428
Yea, re-terminated. Switching to the "B" speaker circuit has the same result. Oh well...

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8902

Capacitor problems such as this normally do not "heal". Since most muting circuits are no longer based upon relays, there is little hope for that possibility to miraculously heal either. You could set it in front of a TV with an evangelist banishing the demons and see what happens (a small contribution might help). But, I think I'd be looking for a service department.

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
I just switch off the speakers prior to turning off. A little hassle but I'll live with it.

Thanks for the advice, Guys.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 165
But one day it will go BOOM, take it in now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 457
Well, I took the three year old C370 in for service. The technician says it's functioning normally, no audible popping in the "A" speaker circuit when the unit is turned on & off. I told him to leave it powered up over the weekend...try it again on Monday.

Silver Member

Post Number: 458
BTW...as of late, it was popping in both left and right speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us