Wheres the Fault ??

Username: Sukhoi30

New Zealand

Post Number: 6
Hi All,

Any suggestions of where the fault may be appreciated.

Problem : Treble slightly higher on right Speaker hence voices shifting slighty to the right.

Equipment

Nad CDP 542 - 2 months OLD
Rotel 1062 - got it checked - dealer says no fault :-( - when we tried at the dealers he did say there was surely an imbalance (but he heard treble higher on left side - WHY ME GOD !) thinking that atleast the dealer would get it checked we decided to send it across - but when it came back from wherever the dealer sent it they did some kinda Soak test and could not find fault even after 2 weeks.
Interconnects - tried 2 different ones to same effect
Speakers - B&W 602 S3 - slightly angled inwards- tried swapping them - no joy
Cables Kimber 8TC - biwiring - tried swapping them - no joy.

Room its placed in at the moment is squarish say 13 ft X 15 FT.
Now the left side (15ft) of the room while facing the speakers is all glass windows and the right wood only.

now brace your self heres the real question ?
Could the room acoustics cause all this ??????????
the glass windows do have blinds which are plasticky.

Any suggestions pleaseeeeeee.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4425
With a mono source, if the treble is still shifted to the right, exchange left and right connections between each pair of components, one at time. Starting with amp to speakers.

If you hear voices shifted to the left, you have found the faulty component.

If there is no difference after any swap, then exchange the L and R speakers to see if the imbalance moves with them. If it does, it is the speakers. If it does not, then the problem is lies outside of the system.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8877

Very good, John.

Username: Nout

Post Number: 6
It could be your own hearing.
It is pretty common (well at least where I come from) that one's hearing isn't that perfectly balanced as a hifiset.

My dad for instance always has the balance on his amp slightly turned to the right, for him the left channel sounds louder than the right channel.
This was exactly the case with his previous hifi sets.
It hasn't anything to do with the room acoustics, because when he's at my place he has the same "problem"
Hearing loss may come to mind, but my dad was tested and apparantly nothing is wrong with his ears.

I have this unbalanced sensation too, only through headphones that is, the left channel sound a bit louder to me.

Bronze Member
Username: Pointe

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 22
I also find that my eyes can trick my ears. My listening room is visually assymetrical, but the sound set-up has been carefully placed. Sometimes I feel like I'm sitting off centre, and as a result it feels like the soundstage is slightly off.

When I close my eyes, all is fine. You might try this for a full listening session.

Otherwise, room treatment may help too. I'll let someone more experienced lead that discussion.

New Zealand

Post Number: 7
Thank you all for replies

I thought of hearing so got my brother to check it out for me and he felt the same (Unless its in the family :-) ).
Have swapped every connection from speakers cables to interconnects to the same effect.

Now how to get a MONO recorded disk ?? i believed all nowadays are stereo?

Even the speakers are new and just run in never ever thrashed.

i know the difference is there - could it be recording on the CDs.
in stereo.

Also i spent hours placing the speakers accurately to cms from side walls and back walls and i try to sit at the precise centre.

I am also having the same thoghts as you all , may be room acoustics or my Hearing.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3479
A test tone cd is presented in mono.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8884

Try nearfield listening with the speakers moved closer together; say about four to five feet apart. Sit about the same distance from the speakers.

New Zealand

Post Number: 9
Thanks Nuck,Jan, Geoff, Nout, John shall try doing that and keep you all posted.

Also this fault is there and is so minor that if i use Diamond 9.1 with Audioquest Cables its hard to make out, but if i swap it with B&W (sharper treble) with Kimber 8TC cable it gets obvious.

Just spoke to the dealer, he says he is positive he heard the same but he is finding hard to convince the third warranty party.

He said he is gonna call them again and let me know.

Two weeks without music - gosh :-) lifes too short for all of this, ill try and get a new amp altogether and forget this one, but will be hard i love B&W and Rotel combo- so much that i was gonna add a RB1050 but now will have o save money again for an amp :-( .

anyways ill try doing that guys.

really appreciate all the advice

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3494
let us know,saurabh!

Bronze Member

New Zealand

Post Number: 13
Thank you everyone for your help, the dealer finally offered a swap as he believed that there was surely an imbalance though slight, sounds ok outright, will post if any more ISSUES.

Thank you John, Nuck, Jan, Nout and Geoff and every one else.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us