Best inexpensive preamp?

Username: Andrew_wendt

Post Number: 1
I am currently looking for a phono preamp that will last me through a good 5 or so years until I get a nice job. I have a Pioneer PL-514 turntable and look to spend no more than $75 for the used preamp. I mostly listen to classic rock (Dylan, Hendrix, Pink Floyd) but have recently started to collect some Enoch Light. The products I am looking at currently are the Parasound PPH-100, The Phono Box by Pro-Ject, Cambridge Audio 540P and 640P. There is also one on phonopreamps.com (TCC TC-750LC), but it looks slightly shady. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8878
Buy a cheap receiver with a phono section off the used market.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1532
I can vouch for the Pro-Ject Phono Box. I like the way it presents music.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Daniel_badon

Bc Canada

buying old integrated amplifier or receiver with phono system is cool idea. i just bought one, works well. i like to see also separate phone preamps how it works ( when i am ready to spend for it )

how expensive is pro-ject phono box and what country made from?
tenx, daniel

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1546
Pro-Ject are an Austrian company. In the UK the Phono Box costs about £60 ($100). It is a simple unit which can be switched between MM and MC, but it has fixed loading. For an inexpensive item, it is remarkably good fidelity.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 879
Andrew:

I think you are in the US and if so, here are some sources. You can get the NAD PP-2 for about $90 from either Kief's (www.kiefs.com) or Saturday Audio (www.saturdayaudio.com). Good little phono pre-amp and a great value. You have to get their phone # off the internet and then call them to place an order. But to fit your budget, I really like the Bellari which can be found here:

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6305/.f?sc=2&category=401

A superb little phone pre-amp, especially for the money. orognially went for $200, but now they are asking only $76.00

Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1442
That's not the same Bellari pre-amp, Hawk. The one you linked to is a SOLID STATE amp, whereas the one you refer to is a TUBE PRE-AMP. (Sorry, I don't mean to shout, I don't know how to italicise)

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 882
Stu:

You are soooooo right! I was thinking of the tube phono pre-amp.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 883
Andrew:

Still, I think you will like the Bellari solid state better than the TCC. The tube version is awesome for the money and I would be surprised if the solid state did not do a better job than anything else at such a low price.

Username: Myra

So, which is best....Bellari Or Pro-Ject. What is difference between the 2?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us