ProAc Studio 125 - Speaker Positioning HELP!!

Username: Tkyong1

Kuala LumpurMalaysia

Post Number: 2
Dear all,

My set-up: Primare D20MKII CDP + Primare I20 + ProAc Studio 125 Speaker.

My room dimension: H x W x L = 9' x 13.5' x 21'

My existing position: 42" from back wall; 33" from side wall.

Problem:
1. Seem lacking in bass.
2. Sound too forward / lively.
3. Can only crank to 15-20%max the volume.

My room no doubt is little bright / lively, typical asia construction.

Any proac users here please share your experience in positioning this pair. Understand from certain website that proac is very particular in positioning.

Is my set-up ok or should I get another amp instead? If yes, which brand / model / est. $$$

Your advise urgently needed.
Many thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Shahrukhd

Mumbai, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 145
How long since you've had the speakers? I suspect they haven't fully broken in as yet!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8876

One post is normally enough to get your question answered.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/249759.html

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 35
Jan makes some great points, and he obviously is a very knowledgable poster. The only thing I dont totally agree with was the statement below.

"However, the room is what you cannot change, you can only work within."

However, you can change your room with acoustic treatments. In a room like that, you're in dire need of bass trapping in the corners, and absorption at the first reflection points. Any room can be greatly enhanced by taking some simple measures. Im not saying that it will necessarily fix your problem, but it will greatly enhance your listening experience nevertheless. You'd be suprised how much better your system will sound once you've taken care of the room.

What jan says is fine, but you will need to plant yourself direcly in front & in close proximity of your speakers to get good sound.
(within 4-6 feet)
Once you get outside of that zone, the room takes over:-(

Bronze Member
Username: Pointe

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 19
I moved to a new house and the rec room is a shoe box. I treated my room two weeks ago with corner traps as described here:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Some people like him, others don't, but the basic principles are unquestionable and they work.

The difference on my room was night & day. My gear sounds deeper than it ever did at other places I've lived. I'm going to play more with accoustic treatments to improve my mids and highs.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 37
All right!! Way to go!! At least Im not alone:-)

I could write a dissertation on how room treatments have improved the sound in my theater. LOL

Maybe I'll do that in another thread:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us