10" sub

Bronze Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Greensburgh, PA US

Post Number: 72
Ok. So I made the pretty cheap mistake in chosing car audio subs for my home theater subwoofer. I know, a pathetic mistake. Oddly, it pounded exceptionally well, until I fried one of the woofers pushing a bass tone through it. 1/4 volume at somewhere around 35hz. I'm powering it using a 500w Bash plate amp and picked up very cheap 10" subs to run it with. I chose cheap subs as an experiment. The subs claims to handle 250w rms each, which I have (4) in my custom built box. It doesn't bother me because I only paid about $60 for the (4). I'm assuming I blew the sub due to Xmax or distortion, but it blew on a test tone, distortion free. The sub was only seeing 125w rms from the amp so it couldn't be over powering it. Is it just poor quality subs that caused this? Does runnig test tones through a subwoofer cause certain concerns? Only one of the four blew but I'm replacing all four. I ordered new subs and stepped it up to 500w rms subs, 1000w peak. Different manufacturer but still lower quality. Keeping the cost down to what I can afford, I chose (4) of these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-724 I know the holy bible of aucoustics forbid using lower quality subs in a home theater application, but when it worked, it worked well. Shook EVERYTHING!!! It is also what I can afford. Will I expect the same results with my new subs? Did I just blow another $250 on crap? When I say it worked, I mean it shook pictures off the wall upstairs. Holy crap kind of thing. On only 500 watts!!! Am I just making a bigger idiot out of myself?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8680
You said, "Keeping the costs down to what I can afford". I guess you can afford blowing another $250. So far you have spent $500 on subs. I don't see where you are actually saving any money.

But if you like the shaking everything bit, then just go for it.

Bronze Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Greensburgh, PA US

Post Number: 73
I'm new and way underexperienced in this. I'm not an LA lawyer or Miami drug dealer so I don't have the resources or cash to drop $10,000 on a system. I'm learning the hard way and don't want to. This is fun, sort of, learning from mistakes. Don't you think, Berny?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8681
Dude aren't we just talking about subs and not a whole system?

That is what the forum is for, to keep you from wasting your money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us