FloorStanders

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 14
I currently have a Yamaha HTR-5740 receiver and am using the two fronts and all else that came with the whole Home Theater in a Box system(YHT-450). I am wondering as to whether I should upgrade or not. What more can I get if I were to get ...lets say...a pair of Athena's F2.2's or Polk Monitor 50's as mains. Am I just going to get the same kinda sound pretty much and should I just keep what I have now or what? I listen to music and movies...mostly music. THANKS

Bronze Member
Username: Europa760

Post Number: 33
i would say the athenas. although ive never heard em, but ive heard polk. polks kind of bad for the dough.

get new speakers though. i have paradigm monitor 7's right now

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 277
You know, I paid 1k CAD for a pair of RTi 10s. I really don't feel ripped off. The demo's have not stopped either. I have listened to what most here would call "far better" speakers, as well as similarly priced models from other brands, I am upfront with the dealers too, I tell them that I am not looking for speakers per se anymore, but I am looking for a stereo amp, so I use that as an opportunity to try out different speakers while auditioning the amps. The most dramatic comparison for me was listening to a set of Klipsch speakers that the price for ONE was almost double what my pair of Polk's cost. The verdict? Not much of a difference really. Granted, the centre channel blew mine away, but I think it would also crush my TV, it could actually function as the stand I think... Any who, the point for dear Tommy here is that just because they sell in a big box store does not make them "bad" speakers. So please LISTEN to the Athenas, but give the Polks a fair audition too... having said that, anything is probably better than what you have now! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 198
I paid $900CAD for a pair of Paradigm Monitor monitor 9's. They were amazing. I sampled them next to energy and klipsch, some other brands worth checking out. Deffinitly hear the monitor lineup though.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 422
The Athena AS-F2.2s are $400 for the pair at www.audioadvisor.com. In 2004 the Athenas (AS-F2) were available in store at Best Buy so I was able to audition them in person. Not so anymore. The Paridigm dealer was right around the corner from me so I listened to the Monitor Series. I thought the Athenas were brighter with more punch, depth and authority. I paid full price then, $600pr. I've not regretted the purchase one bit.

Bronze Member
Username: Unreal_t

United States

Post Number: 15
I hear people say not to pair this with that etc. I have a Yamaha Receiver so would there be any speakers I really shouldn't pair with my Yamaha?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3461
klipch

Gold Member

Post Number: 3462
axiom

Gold Member

Post Number: 3463
but, hey, you gotta listen for yourself.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1672
As I recall, Art doesn't find his Yamaha to be bright. Am I wrong?

Anyway, the Klipsch forum is full of people who like 'em. Maybe the bright thing no longer holds. It does seem to be an over-generalization.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 423
Well, I did have a Yamaha receiver from the mid-90's and it was truely awful with the Athenas. I dumped it and bought a NAD. I've read that the new Yamahas are much better but you would have to do more research on that issue. You may want to try ENERGY speakers. I have the older C5 towers in a another system. They are a bit more laidback than the Athenas but go very well with my Rotel which has a cooler sound than the NAD.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 47
Speaking of which, I've paired yammi with Klipsch, and have no complaints. I've listened to a lot of speaker brands in the past year, and I think the new Klipsch Reference line released in '06 is fantastic. For the money, they're pretty hard to beat. They can crank, and their clarity is simply amazing! Klipsch continues to evolve, and their newest product line is pretty darned good, IMO.

Username: Mikes_brother

Post Number: 4
Mission m35i
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us