ProAc Studio 110 vs Tablette Ref 8

Bronze Member
Username: Skareb

Kuala LumpurMalaysia

Post Number: 41
Having nothing much to do after the worldcup I decide to upgrade my speakers. OK a phone call to CMY, spoke to Calvin and zeroed in on the ProAc Tablette Ref 8 and the new ProAc Studio 110. So much I've read about the Ref8, so much good review about this tiny wonder. My package came at 7pm just as promised, and both the ProAc are now sitting on my living room. I've 3 days to audition them over the weekend.

1st speakers to get the honour, the Studio 110. First impression of this speaker, it looks like one of those you find displaying in Pasar Road. I'm being honest, it doesn't for one bit look the price you've to pay. My Audiopro Black Pearl V2 at least get the piano black finishes, which are so luxurious compared to this. And the dust cover looks really cheap, These British are really serious it serves its purpose professionally keeping away dust with no safety benefit or other fuctions whatsoever included. Again it look like one of those made by our local car accessories shops covering your car door 6.1/2" seperates. I'm beginning to suspect the origin of manufacture.

Ok powered up my amp and load Stacey Kent - Under the Blanket of Blue (Forgive me for boring you with the same few CDs, but I've always audition with this gang of mine which I'm being very familiar and I desperately need to catch the differences to justify the 2.1/2 times extra price factor). Volumn at 18, somehow it sound too low which is the volumn I usually played and my neighbours usually giving me her smile a temper behind it. Up the volumn to 20 and her voice, gosh so much texture, so much feelings, so alive. I was immediately impressed. The sound are balance, so flat across the frequency range, you dont get spikes anywhere. Up the volumn to 23 and you can feel her breathing.

The immediate differences compared to the Black Pearl are balance frequency across the bandwidth. I cant enjoy a lot of CDs due to uneveness (frequency spike) and quite a few CDs have gone to my KIV drawer. But now with the Studio 110 I can finally reaudition them. Begin with Lakme - Dome epais le Jasmin, my Blackpearl used to give me headache when her voice soar, I can swear seeing a pair of metalic tweeter floating in front of me torturing my ears. It was irritating and I needed to lower the volumn which sacrifices a lot and spoil the meaning of listening to the song at all. And then came Kiri Te Kenawa - Dove sono, her voice sounded like an angel floating so gracefully. I was hooked, I told myself this is a must have speakers for me and cooking up tales to deceive my wife. My mind spinning with excuses.

The Studio 110s vocals are simply gorgeous, so full of emotions. So time for classical, Anne Sophie Mutter Tchaikovsky concerto for violin and orchestra in D major op35. The Studio 110 rendered her violin again with emotion, I can close my eyes and project her in my living hall playing, I honestly don't know how to describe it but the sound of her wooden violin warm strings are so realistic and alluring. I played the whole piece 3 times that night. Being my favourite piece you can imagine how happy my face was when its so darn perfect. When the whole orchestra springs alive you can hear all the different instrument in the back ground and Sophie standing on center stage. The staging is superb but no deep soundstage compared to my audiopro as promised by John. Maybe this is due to speaker placement so I've to experiment this some other time.

Then comes the 2nd ProAc, I opened the box and took out the ProAc Tablette reference 8, the colour is horrible. And place it on my speaker stand. I sat there wondering with very little confidence, will this speaker perform? Its SO tiny! 1st song Jane Monheit - Taking a chance on Love, this tiny box sounded big. Not just by its standard but by universal standard. What strike you most are the speed of these little chihuahuas. Then a few more songs from the same old few cds I've tried earlier and there are differences between them.

No matter how I tried placing, the soundstage sounded smaller. Stacey Kent - It never entered my mind, the saxaphone welcome somehow sounded small and light. I admit it could be my imagination as I've prejudice against it. Not much difference in vocals, but more on musical instrument. Imaging is far more superior to the Studio 110, the placing are spot on. The high are a little brighter and also music comes alive after volumn level 25. Vivaldi at volumn 28. So after 5 hours, I decided the Studio 110 are more of my taste and preference.

Well 3 days over so fast and this morning I ended up at CMY, seduced by the Studio 110, I part with my cash. I told John I don't wanna step into his shop no more. Its an evil place. But right before leaving I caught a glimps of the Richard Grey power supply unit. Looked at John with a smile and well I can see a review on this power unit coming very soon.

Equipment use for this test

CD: Marantz CD7300
Amp: Primare I21
IC: QED SilverSpiral
Cable: QED silver Anniversary Bi-wire

Please take note that this review are base on my own experience and experiment at my apartment with no room treatment except for the big foot stool at the corner to iron out the extra bass boom, if you're interested on any of the speakers here you should do your own audition at your own place. Coz only yourself will know what strike your sweet spot.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3445
I recognize those emotions....and speakers. Thanks for a very good write up skareb.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3446
I fussed with placement for quite sometime to get it exactly right. Striking the balance between good, deep bass and the to-die-for sounstage and imaging takes time and care but you will be rewarded. The system would probably benefit from a better cd player in the future. If my Audio Refinement CD Complete Alpha were still on the market I would recommend an audition but in it's absence the Rega Apollo is (for me ) the second best in the price range.

For me the Tablette had a little better midrange but lacked the overall balance of the Studio 110. BTW you'll grow to love the looks. Mine are cherry and the wood looks very nice by candlelight.

Very nice system you have....congrats!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3372
Here's to more candlelight!
And a fine wine.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3451
Good company, good music, good wine, the good life.....

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 182
Hi Skareb,

I looked up your thoughts on your newly purchased ProAc's after a note from Art.

Good stuff, glad you are enjoying your new speakers.

Having grown up in the UK, and following this hobby ever since I was a child in fact (a long long time ago now!!!), I have several times heard ProAc speakers in various dealers. I have never had the pleasure of using ProAc's at home though.

But as I commented earlier, I am yet to hear a ProAc speaker that I did not like the sound of. All seem consistently good.

In any case, thank you for taking the time to post your impressions, and thanks for the nice photos of your equipment.

cheers
Rav

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 187
P.S. I am suffering major world cup withdrawl symptoms also. I have been watching the Tour de France, so that is helping me stay awake at nights, now the world cup is over.

I noticed something interesting watching the TdFrance. If you mute the TV, and turn off the incessant albeit well intended prattle of the commentators, and play some suitable music on your hifi (e.g. Tour de France by Kraftwerk, or the new Muse album....).

Suddenly you brain starts to pick up a lot of visual clues that you missed, when you were expending mental energy listening to the commentators. You start to SEE how fast these guys are going (approx 60km/h on the flat), and even when going uphill (at 10-20 km/h), you notice the awesome speed and consistency of their cycling cadence.

In addition to this, sans commentary, you notice, the grimaces in the faces, and how much pain is involved in a 200+ km stage in the Pyrenees mountains, during a southern French summer.

Drugs or no drugs, these guys are all heroes in my opinion.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3458
Interesting observation and well said.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3422
A hero on drugs?!
I can appreciate the dedication of the atheletes, but hero is a stretch.
Hero is a strong term, one which I save for people who dedicate and sometimes sacrifice their lives for the furtherment of others.

Good bike race this year, 5 yellow jersey changes so far.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 676
Nothing to do with the topic, but I have to agree with Nuck about the term "hero". It is a contentious issue with me. Sorry Rav, a hero to me is a person who acts selflessly to benfit others. I take my hat off to all people who can push themselves to become top of their game whether it be in sports, business, academia, politics and so forth. But heroes, no way. This term is used far too loosely imho, and its oft misuse can be a real insult to the true heroes of our society - past and present. Sorry for the soapbox interlude here.

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 193
Hi Nuck, Rantz,

upon reflection I gotta agree with the entirely valid point that you both make, I did use the term too loosely.

But yes I am enjoying the tour so far.

Rav

Gold Member

Post Number: 3424
MR off the box, Nuck on it.
I might toss out a few.
Martin Luther King Jr.
Gandhi.
Terry Fox.
Mother Theresa.

Not wanting to start a ruckus, and fully off topic, just ignore me.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3460
Not wanting to be disagreeable I left the "hero" part alone. I think the rest of Ravi's obsevations were quite astute.

I'm not much of a cycling fan as it makes American team sports look "clean". The totality of what I've read about cycling puts it right up there with boxing.

At one time I was quite an avid cyclist and enjoyed it immensely. Unfortunately my health no longer allows it. I need to work on that perhaps.

Nuck, I agree with that list but must add the caveat that in the case of MLK his appetites were legendary as well.

Well off to shower....large family gathering (my wifes) in a hillbilly town near the Cascades, precisely where a black does not want to go on his day off....wish me luck.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3461
precisely where a black "man" does not want to go on his day off....wish me luck.

That's how it was supposed to read but since we no longer have an edit function...(man this forum blows).

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 194
Art,

good luck, enjoy your Sunday. The weekend's over here in Melbourne, time for me to burn some mid-night oil now.

Tomorrow I must meet with my manager, and start fighting (hopefully not literally) for some time off in lieu of the extra hours I have worked.

Anyhows for you folks in North America, I wish you a pleasant weekend for that part of it which remains.

cheers, all the best
Rav

Gold Member

Post Number: 3426
Good luck, Art. Fair thee well...

On the same note... I always enjoy the diversity we share here.
From Ravi(the Polish guy) to Art(the asian fellow) to Frank(from Isreal) and myself(Macaulay, obviously Balkan), and the Australian Icelanders, it is always a pleasure to share the globe in search of musical enjoyment.

I think we should run the UN and promote musical commonality as a peacekeeper.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3427
Paul Simon does that already, yes?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3462
Well I made it back from hillbillyville in one piece. It's scary up there. Thanks for the well wishes...it was my mother-in-laws 86th birthday party and she's about as sweet and wonderful (redundant but worth it) a person as I've ever met.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 678
Hey Art, I've got a pretty nice mother-in-law also. That makes two now. Wonders will never cease!

:-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3464
Reba is a joy to be around and always looks to see the beauty in everything and everyone around her....refreshing!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 679
Shirley is blind, has an exotic disease which keeps her constantly dizzy, has severe headaches, and is almost immobile. She and her pensioner husband, a p.o.w. from Changi and the Burma railroad in ww2, have little money yet support children around the world through care plans. And like your Reba Art, she always looks to see the beauty in everything and everyone around her. Imagine what a world it would be if we were all like these great people.

Oh, and they have an adopted aboriginal child. My wife, when she was young, would always get a kick out of seeing people's expressions when she introduced her black sister. Today, thank goodness, it rarely raises a brow.

Little to do with ProAcs I guess, except these have always been pro-active people.

Bronze Member

Kuala LumpurMalaysia

Post Number: 42
I used to cycle alot few years back, did my first century 7.1/2 hours. But now never seem to find time to continue. What a shame.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3465
Good tie in MR...good to hear from you skareb. I enjoyed your ProAc review.

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 195
Art, My Rantz,

it is heart warming to hear of such good people.

Also, I second Art's comments on enjoying Skareb's ProAc review.

best wishes
Rav

Bronze Member

Kuala LumpurMalaysia

Post Number: 43
glad you guys enjoyed it, was just thinking to give something back to the web instead of only taking.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us