Good Sub with TEAC AG-V8520?

Username: Drawmada

Valleyfield, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 2
I have a Teac AG-V8520 5.1 surround sound receiver and am looking to get a sub for it ... the sub would be used with my Messina DV300 center and rear speakers and my 2 front Haufmann Pilots ... I don't want something that will make the whole room shake loll, just something to add a little bass for movies and music ... thanks in advance!

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1634
My first recommendation would be to replace your old "Pro Logic" receiver in order to get real surround sound for DVD playback, and real LFE (low frequency effects) for your future subwoofer. Otherwise you'll be disappointed with the sub.

Some people here like Athena subs, which are Canadian. Ironically, they appear to be cheaper in the US than here. I still recommend Hsu subs. The Canadian distributor is www.hi-fidelity.com and you may contact them for a list of retailers (and they can ship you one directly).

Post Number: 4
Okay think I'll specify ... Wasn't clear enough ... I want to use my current receiver which is still brand new ... received as a gift but was never used .. finally got around to plugging it now (7 years later) I want a sub that will function well with my CURRENT receiver ... thaks .... sorry for not being more precise

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1635
Well, I doubt that a Pro Logic receiver properly decodes the .1 LFE channel in 5.1 content, so the tremendous bass in action movies will be missing. That makes the sub moot in that case. I don't know your speakers, and would need to know if they are bookshelf or not, what their sensitivity and frequency response is. Then I'd likely recommend a better fit for the sub.

What's your budget for the sub?

Post Number: 5
My Messina Speakers are wall Mount triangular speakers ( the 2 rears in an upside down triangle) and so is my center speaker. My 2 Haufmann Pilots are the big old style Speakers with a black fabric on the front and and simulated wood grain. 100 Watts I believe. As it is I can't go higher than 2 on the volume or else the walls start to vibrate ... so all I want is something that will accentuate the bass... nothing more hehehe... budget for a sub is not over 500 if that's possible ... I don't need something very high tech that won't even be used to its full potential ... just something that does the job

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1638
I still don't know the speaker sensitivity and frequency response, and I forgot to ask for room size. Black fabric and simulated wood grain doesn't really help and 100 Watts is also meaningless.

Do you listen to movies at fairly loud levels? (anything close to theater reference?)

Also, are your main and center speaker well matched in loudness (sensitivity) and timbre? Home theater sounds much better when the front 3 speakers are well-matched.

A C$400 Paradigm PDR-10 will "do the job" that you ask, but I suspect that a C$400 Hsu STF-1 would do it a bit better. A C$550 Hsu STF-2 would be much better if you had proper decoding of the LFE track.

The truth is you may not benefit very much from a sub at all with your current setup.

Post Number: 6
I listen to movies at a reasonable sound level ... 2 on the dial is just high enough because as I mentioned ... above that level the walls, which are made of pre-finish, vibrate. My center and rear speakers are identical ... Messina DV300's. To get great sound, I have to use the Pro-Logic mode on my receiver, Otherwise every thing sounds distorted.

Bronze Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 18
If your walls vibrate and make noises at low volumes as things stand now, maybe the addition of a sub isnt such a good idea.

You might want to hold off until you correct your room issues because there is nothing more annoying than watching a movie and hearing audible rattles.

Rattle proofing the room should be step one.

Good Luck

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 531
Well Batman why don't you consider a new recent receiver? If your current one doesnt decode Dolby 5.1 or DTS 5.1 then you would get a much better audio result with a different receiver.

Post Number: 8
Thanks Rush for the opinion ... makes great sense :D

And to Marc ... answer to your question from an earlier post of mine:

"received as a gift but was never used .. finally got around to plugging it now (7 years later)"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us