Is this possible?

Silver Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 110
Heres a scenario, av reciever, 5.1 speakers. Reciever is good, but, jsut short in watts. The idea, to add a stereo amp. How? Plug the front left and front right channels into the amp, than plug the amp into the front speakers. Is this possible?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3286
Yes, Jeff, that is where I was trying to prod you earlier, as opposed to a huge receiver overall.
Pull the jumpers on the back of the receiver and use the 2 front channel pre-outs as inputs to an amplifier.
The other 3 chaqnnels are powered by the receiver.

For example, I have a H/K 5.1 receiver, 65 watts.
I added a Rotel 5 channel amp, and used all 5 channels for a while. One channel got fully in the amp, so I just ran 2 channels for a while. A good multi channel amp is *kind of* 5x mono amps. I can also bi-amp the fronts for stereo oompah!
Very flexible.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
OK, ive done a little looking, specifically at outlaw amps (mono and 7 channel), and have noticed that the inputs on these amps are not speaker cable, if I get/make a cable to goes from the speaker cable out of my av reciever into the rca input of the amp, than use the speaker output of the amp to my speakers, will this give me the desired effect I am looking for (more power)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3287
Jeff, what are ya DOIN' man?
There is a straighforward way to accomplish what you want to do, without stripping wires with your teeth and rat-tailing splices with hockey tape.

Do you want to use your existing receiver and add more power?y/n
Are you going to buy a replacement receiver? y/n
Do you like lots of power and volume?y/n
Do you need movies only, and is music a rar 2nd? y/n

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4389
Jeff,

Are you considering connecting integrated amplifiers/receivers in series - output of one to input of another?

If so, it is not a good idea. Not for practical listening. And just trying it could produce an expensive component failure.

I think Nuck is assuming, and it is sensible, that you are planning to use a separate amplifier for front left and right speakers.

This is OK.

But then you have to take the left and right channel pre-amplifier ouput from the receiver and use that as the input to the amp serving left and right speakers.

If one is present, the "Tape monitor" ouput is an even better output to use as input to the second amp.

Any gain in power will just be the higher power of the new, second amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
Im not considering integrated amps, just real amps. Actually, I was looking at outlaw m-blocks. As far as nucks questions
use my reciever and add more power = yes
replacment reciever = not for a while
lots of power and volume = yes
movies first music second = no, music is first, by far

Also, as far as I know, there is no pre-out for specific channels on my reciever.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3305
What model is the receiver, Jeff?

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
Sony STR-DE695

Gold Member

Post Number: 3323
You are stuck, Jeff.
I am not going to say your sony is bad, although I could, but it is not going to do what you want. Sorry.
If you want suggestions, say so.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Well, I know my sony sucks. I dont need to be told that (though you didnt, lol). I bought it like almost 5 years ago when I was runnign speakers that were worth like $400 for the whole 5.1. Ive been looking at a marantz, I believe the 8005 is the model. So, I can just stick a amp inbetween the speaker cables like I would in, say, a guitar amp stack?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us