NAD 762/272: How to Run "B" Speakers

Username: Che422

Post Number: 5
I am using the 272 amp to power my left and right speakers...and recently installed outdoor speakers that I'd like to use when I select "B" on the A/B switch on the 762. Here's the problem: when I connected the outdoor speakers to the corresponding binding posts for "B" speakers on the receiver, I didn't get sound outdoors (though the receiver's panel indicated that the B's were on -- I tried just about every combination). I then removed the speaker wires from the back of the receiver and connected them to the posts designated for the B speakers on the 272. In this scenario I cannot turn the B's off -- when the main speakers are on, so too are the speakers outdoors.

Naturally, I'd like to be able to use the A/B switch to use any combination of speakers: A's without B's, B's without A's, both simultaneously.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8823

Off hand I'd say the speaker pairs have been wired in series. With this connection both speakers (per channel; right and left) have to play to get any one to play and switching off any one speaker will kill the feed to the other speaker.

Who did the wiring and how old is it?

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 150
On you receiver, do you have the pre out - main in hooked up? How do you feed the preamp in the 762 to the 272?

Post Number: 6
Jan: I wish I could point a finger, but I'm the one who did the wiring. In fact I did it just last week.

Dan: there is a pre-out in the rear of the 762 into which I plugged the amp. I was hoping the 762 would feed the 272 for the mains...and if I were to wire the outdoor speakers into the back of the 762 designated for "B" speakers, I'd be able to run them independently of the mains powered by the 272. But when wired this way the outdoor (or "B") speakers are mute (regardless of the A+B setting).When I tried wiring the outdoor speakers to the "B" section of the 272, per Jan's post, both sets of speakers worked in tandem.

(I'm sure this is simpler than my convoluted description suggests.)

BTW, the outdoor speakers are the top of Speakercraft's new "Outdoor Elements" series. They fill the entire patio area and sound terrific -- bonus info for anyone in the market for outdoor speakers. Once I'm able to resolve this I'm sure they'll sound even better...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3288
Charles, I don't know either componant.
Are you running the 762 in bypass(stereo)?

Post Number: 7
Nuck...no matter the mode I select the speakers run in tandem. In other words, when I select one of the processing modes -- any of them -- and have "B" turned off, both the A and B speakers play; when I have "B" turned on, the 762 defaults to stereo bypass.

I still don't understand why I can't run "A" thru the 272 and "B" independently when they are run through the "B" speaker section on the 762. The answer is out there. I'm sure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3289
curiouser and curiouser...
Keep us abreast, will ya'?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3290
http://www.nadelectronics.com/av_receivers/T762_frameset.htm

The spec page says, further down...
A+B switching.
Not A/B switching.
I don't think it can, Charles.
rats!

Post Number: 8
Nuck...you're scaring me. I'm hoping for a fast answer -- not a major motion picture with a twist ending...if you take my meaning.

Post Number: 9
Nuck...excellent find, thanks for tracking that down. I wasn't aware that there was a difference between the two -- I suppose the only solution is an actual A/B switch. If that's the case, any good way to go? Anything to look out for?

Post Number: 10
Another solution might be to set the speakers up on the second zone and use the amp for that zone. I'd prefer to have the 272 drive the mains but this may make the most sense. Ideas to the contrary are welcome.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3291
mmm...probably.
Just turn off the 272 for fair weather listening.
This has been covered before, but I do not recall the best solution.
Where the heck is everybody else?
They will be by.
I would suggest just a good quality interrupt going to the 272, rather than an A/B which could be noisy to the front amp. I am supposing the outside gear although good, would suffer less from a less than ideal switch.
What speakers do you use with the kit indoors, BTW, Charles?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3292
Of course!
As I said, not too familiar, but yeah, 2nd zone should be perfect!
See above re: current indoor speakers?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Nuck...PSB Silveri mains, PSB 6i Center, HSU sub, Magnepan MMG's surrounds (an offbeat choice but one advantage is I get the Maggie sound when I'm playing them solo -- particularly good for background jazz).

Gold Member

Post Number: 3294
Ahh, did you see my kit?
Silver fronts, 200 century center, alpha rears.

How do you like the silvers? Not many here with them. I listen to RnR and the silvers aren't up to the task, but had em for 10 yrs.

I need a sub but thinking about changing out the fronts, current subs are shite.
Where you at, Charles?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Nuck...for me the Silvers with the HSU sub does the trick (it's more than competent with movies and I think versatile in capably handling a range of music -- from acoustic jazz to rock...though it might not be ideal if you're feeling the urge to crank some Ramones or something like Metallica -- but when you find yourself listening to that kind of stuff sitting down, critically, I think you're sort of missing the point). But I digress. I had an M&K system before, which has been retired to the bedroom. Frankly, right now the outdoor setup is where I'll be focusing my listening. (I'm in S. Florida, which probably explains it.)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3296
Hot enough for ya?
hehe. So the 2nd zone is going to work out just fine, I bet. I posted that link without noticing the 7 channels!
I always ask another owner of the silvers what they think, obviously.
For smoother sounds like James Taylor, Paul Simon and some jazz fusion, these are very good speakers, and we enjoy them a lot for that.
Mrs Nuck likes the piano black finish. I have added a spair pair of tweets with silk domes as a change-out set for a change of pace and really liked the layed back response as compared to the metals. Up graded the X'O's as well for high power.
Anyhow, do tell with the outdoors and second channel, and stick around when you have time.

Cheers to Margaritaville!

(Parrot waves)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3297
BTW, Charles, about the speaker wiring.
You may already know, but I will post anyhow.
The Silvers will love this rewire.
If the binding strips are still being used, replace them with speaker wire. Bring the + wire onto the low + and the - wire onto the high -.
Along with the speaker wire, this made a HUGE difference for my kit.
Frank A gave me that one.
Big time improvement!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Nuck...I'll check that out and report back. I should have some time tomorrow to give the second zone a try.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 152
Yeah, I know what you are trying to do, and it won't work. I think.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us