1,500W / 4 Ohms Power Amplifier

Username: Theclem54

Queensland Australia

Post Number: 1
http://sound.westhost.com/project117.htm

Can anyone afford to make one of these... it'll be at least 5 years before I can spare enough and by then I'll probably have spent all my money on more useful systems anyway...

Silver Member
Username: Ravbains

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 156
No I cannot afford one of these, nor do I have any interest or indeed the skill to make such a device.

I am not sure about 1.5KW, but there are plenty of very powerful amps out there if you have the money.

For example:

http://www.boulderamp.com/index_flash.html

Take a look at the 2050 mono amp.

-Rav

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 151
4000w in to 2 Ohm!!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3281
This is home audio...try car audio.

hehehe

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 159
Howdi Dan,

yeah I think the big Boulder 2050, is designed to drive big speakers like the Wilson Alexandria, or the top of the line Avalons:

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/products/alex/index.html

But this stuff costs a bit more than the chump change that I can just about muster up......

cheers
Rav

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 154
Those speakers are just too big. 2200lbs a set!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1517
In fact the Wilsons aren't that difficult to drive. They're really rather efficient (95db/w/m, 8 ohm impedance). If you want difficult to drive have a look at Apogee Scintillas (1 ohm nominal with minimum impedance of 0.7 ohms), ATC SCM10 (84db/w/m, 4 ohm), Totem Mani-2s (85db/w/m, 4 ohm).

There are loads of powerful amplifiers from the likes of Boulder, Classe, Bryston, Carver, Chord Electronics, Chapter Audio. The new Class D amps from Rotel look immensely powerful too, although low impedances will probably not do them any good.

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 173
Hi Frank,

interesting....

Wow the Apogee really does sound like a amp killer of a load. Would probably activate the protection on 99% of modern integrated amps (not that you would want to use an integrated with such a speaker...).

I have heard the Alexandria at a hifi shop in Sydney, they were being driven by a pair of Levinson mono-blocks. Very impressive, and produced a realistic sense of scale.

I tried a class-D panasonic HT receiver, that a friend recommended as having a cult following. I connected it to my humble NAD speakers. I must admit that it had a much more pleasant mid-range and treble register than you had any right to expect for its price. But it had a feeble bass, my NADs are 89dB/w and 6 ohms nominal. Even my venerable old A60 did a much better job in the bass department.

(Major digression: After all my mods on the A60 it is sounding awesome these days. And also looks impressive with its new "BLUE LED" power indicator. But it now has very taught fast bass (due to I think the Panasonic HA reservoir caps, and the fact that they are by-passed by 68uF non-polar caps. This is my only regret in this project, that I could not increase the size of the reservoir capacity in the A60, due to lack of space inside it's slimline case.).

Silver Member

MelbourneAustralia

Post Number: 174
sorry forgot to add, the bass on the A60 is now taught and fast, but it is somewhat lean.... End of digression.)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3358
Rav, make a nice add-on box and stuff it full of big caps, call it a power supply.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us