Replace old woofers or buy new speakers?

Username: Ironmanwelsh

Post Number: 1
I have been out of the HT/AV world for some time but have found the posts on this site very helpful, hope you can steer me in the right direction.
I have some old Acoustic Research TSW 310 speakers that have damaged woofers. I am considering replacing the woofers with the DAYTON RS270S-8 10" REFERENCE SERIES SHIELDED WOOFER as recommended by PartsExpress.com. The pair will cost $127. By doing so I can save budget to spend more on other HT components. (I am replacing a VERY old but reliable system).
Is repairing these speakers a good option or am I just throwing away money that I should use toward brand new speakers?
I believe I have decided on the Onyko 703 as my new receiver, my room is not large.
Also how should I go about choosing the right subwoofer and center channel speaker to go with this set up?
Suggestions? Thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3271
Well they aren't worth much now, right Ken?
If you put in new drivers, in the worst case they might sell for 127$.
What made you choose the Onkyo receiver, if I may ask?

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1145
Acoustic Research? Isn't that white van speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Musicluvr

Post Number: 71
Ken,

If only the surrounds or the cones of your woofers are damaged they can be replaced. Either DIY or repair service.

http://www.simplyspeakers.com

Good Luck

Stof,

The current Acoustic Research (AR) name is only a dim shadow of the former company. The TSW 310s that Ken has are likely solid designs with top-notch sound quality (Well, at least before they were damaged). Check out the history of AR here.

http://www.arsenal.net/speakers/ar/ar.htm

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1008
What about the crossover?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3279
Ken, those drivers do come with theil small numbers and a response graph don't they?

Tim will be asking...

Gold Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 1012
Just wondering if PE recommended the Dayton as a direct replacement or under the assumption the XO would be reworked.
Also, if it's one of the early model TSWs the caps may need to be replaced.

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 77
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ar.jsp

Post Number: 2
ctanaka - Thank you for the reference to simplyspeakers. Turns out all I really need is a foam replacement kit which they sell for $26! It is only the foam rings that are damaged. At first I thought that meant replacement of the whole speaker, then considered just the woofer, now I just need a foam ring. Glad I was wrong.
The Onkyo 703 seems to be a good choice, after doing some research, going to a local store and searching the comments/reviews here and elsewhere. It does a lot more than I need right now but I feel like it will allow me to be satisfied for years to come. If there is something I should know I am all ears.
So now that I am just replacing the ring I have definitely freed up quite a bit of budget for other things, suggestions on a sub, center and L/R rear? I am assuming with my newly refurbished ARs I will not need a very large sub but will want to get a good quality center speaker.
Thanks again for all the suggestions/comments.

Post Number: 3
Also, Timn8ter, I don't understand the reference to "caps" The TSW 310 were made in 1987 (did I mention this is a VERY old but reliable system) If I am just repairing the foam surrounds I assume I don't need to worry about XO etc.

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 34
The Onkyo may have several features, but you want to be certain it has sufficient amplifier power to drive your speakers well, especially if you are going to keep it long term.

Post Number: 4
Srinivas - Good point. Is there any way I can figure that out prior to bringing everything home and setting it up? If it doesn't work well could I then get an amp to supplement the power or I am better off going in another direction from the start?

Gold Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 1009
Ken,

First, take a look at the specs on the TSWs. I just had my 30 year old Altec Lansings' reconed. The XOs were fine, the caps were fine, one of the coils was damaged and repaired as part of the work. If your speakers are fairly efficient (they're actually rated at 90db which is fairly efficient at 8 ohms and rated for 10 wpc to 100 wpc maximum), so you should be able to drive them fine with the Onyko receiver.

The better question is have you looked at a better receiver or amp alternative? I would look at a decent integrated, a used NAD or Rotel for example, or a refurbished Marantz, Denon or Harman Kardon multi-channel receiver, probably in that order, before I'd settle on the Onkyo. I believe the above three receivers are superior to the Onkyo.

Finally, you're likely going to have trouble finding a center channel that is timbre matched to your TSWs. If the TSWs were bookshelves, I'd suggest you might consider using them as your surround speakers but they're 27" tall so this maybe problematic for you, or more likely for your lovely wife or significant other, WAF is probably involved.

So, two distinct options. You could take a look at buying a new set of fronts and center that are timbre matched with the same components and then buying smaller rears from the same manufacturer, or even just the fronts and center for now and sell the reconed TSWs.

Or, you might consider going with a 2 channel system for HT using the TSWs if you really like their sound and looking at a better integrated amp like a used NAD C320BEE. Then, you'd have reasonably good HT and you would have a good to excellent 2 channel system and, if you need additional bass, you add a good subwoofer to the mix to improve your HT.

Good luck, Dave.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1147
Ctanka thanks for the history on AR. It's very possible that this white van company is not even associated with that company and is using the name recognition only.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the suggestion on the receivers, guess I could take this question to the other topic but when I compare the Marantz sr 5600 or HR 340 to the Onkyo 703 it seems the Onkyo has addition desirable features. I had read some reviews of Denon receivers that complained about the set up being complicated and the remote difficult to learn to use (have to keep my wife somewhat in mind) That is what guided me to Onyko.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us