Good problem to have...

Bronze Member
Username: Bvg

Arvada, CO

Post Number: 41
Our search for new HT speakers has taken a sudden turn for the better - instead of looking for a 5.1 set of bookshelf's plus sub for ~$1200, we have a whole new problem...

Yesterday we found Kef iQ7 floorstanders and a big, juicy iQ6c on blowout at a local retailer. This retailer is in chapter 11, has changed hands, and is changing their product line. We use the big brother iQ9's for our stereo setup upstairs and love 'em. So we jumped of course.

So now I'm looking for surrounds to go with these - we currently are using ancient JBL Sat 10 microsats (our former fronts). Spec's on the JBL's are FR: 150-20kHz, sensitivity: 88dB, crossover 3.5kHz, 8 ohms

Our room is small 12x11, opening onto a 12x24 rec area along a side wall.

This space is mostly used for movies and sporting events. For the moment, we're driving these with an equally ancient Technics SA-AX730 Dolby Pro-logic amp (30wpc real world, maybe. Rated to 80). I'm looking at an H/K receiver someday. Can't say when.

Will also need a sub for HT, have been considering the Mirage Omni line. No longer need to support the sat's for music, as we have full range fronts and center now.

:-)

Suggestions? Just stand pat on the surrounds? Mirage still a good fit?

Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIB Nation

Post Number: 10
How much is left of your $1200 budget??

I would definitely lose the JBL surrounds and old pro-logic receiver ASAP. As far as receivers go, there are many good choices that can fit into any budget. Pioneer, Denon, Yammi, H/K etc, etc.... all sell quality 5-7.1 receivers to meet any budget.

Ideally, you'll want to find similar speakers for surrounds that will timber match your fronts to create the best soundfield. Maybe some KEF bookshelf speakers?? The most important thing is that you are already matching across the front. Providing you find surrounds with similar sound characteristics, you should be ok.
You'll also want to make sure they go deep enough to reach, and perform below your crossover point. Surrounds that only go down to 150hz wont work unless you use a rediculously high crossover point with your subwoofer.

As for subs?? For your application, I believe SVS offers the best performance for the dollar.
http://www.svsound.com/index.cfm
There are other quality choices for each given price rage that will do well, but they probably wont go as deep, or be able to hang with the SVS output on a dollar to dollar basis.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 510
Your room is too small for SVS subs. Also SVS subs are not the best sub pound for pound by the dollar. ANyway- SVS subs are good for large room rumble and SPL generation, but are overkill in a 12x 11 room.

HSU offers subs that might fit the bill quite well--particularly the STF2 mdel. Also, av123.com offers the UFW-10, which many consider best in class. Other considerations would be from REL ( recently sold but still kickin). Art ( a poster here) likes ERA subs. Eddie likes his mirage sub.

Your receiver is set for 80 HZ crossover. Your surrounds should go below 80 HZ as 80 is not a brickwall of frequency cutoff. 75 HZ would be good.

The cheapest way to get the most out of your HT is to use an SPL meter to set up your speakers. Its 50 bucks at rat shack. This ensures your sound field is hitting your listening position the way you want it to.

Good Luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Bvg

Arvada, CO

Post Number: 43
Thanks, guys.

I've been thinking in the neighborhood of $400 for the sub. I'd like to stay comfortably south of 4 figures on the receiver. The budget figure I gave above was speakers only.

I'm thinking the next purchase should be a sub. The receiver will have to wait - we're saving towards a new big screen. The surrounds would come after a new receiver, unless we bump into another too-good-to-be-true deal...

Unfortunately, Kef doesn't make manageable bookshelves that mount on a wall (Their iQ3's sound great, but are huge - the iQ1's are only a tad smaller - Neither is very happy up against the wall). We could go with the new KHT 3005 series (just released), but they're glossy finish only - don't fit the room decor so good. We'll have to ponder that a bit.

Our reciever is set for 100 Hz per the owner's manual, and has no base management options.

I suppose I should invest in a SPL meter and see if the current surrounds have any output below 150 Hz. The fronts reach to 40 Hz, the center to 65. So we've got a bit of a mismatch here.

I'll look into the UFW-10. Thanks for the suggestions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us