Best way to break in new speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 82
I jsut got some new speakers, paradigm monitor 9 fronts, cc370 center, monitor 3 rears, and a prd 8 sub. I was told to run them at a low volume for about 72hours to get them broken in befor I can really judge them. Right now there playing the best of miles davis on dolby pro logic II music. I figure this will give the best use of all speakers and the sub. I can run the test pattern on my reciever, wich cycles all speakers one at a time and gives a hum. Would this be better? Also, is there a way to break in the sub, cause even with jazz, the sub isnt used as much as the fronts, or center.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4295
just run a local pop/rock FM station on DPL2 while you're not at home at medium volumes...if concerned about disturbing neighbors you can turn the speakers to face each other, this will cancel out many of the frequencies. Also turn your sub gain up a bit to increase break-in.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1502
Normally, I wire up the two pairs of speakers out of phase and make them face each other. Then I put a CD on repeat and leave them playing at what would normally be ordinary volume for a weekend. If they're Dynaudios they need more than just one weekend. The speakers are out of phase so they should largely cancel each other out and not annoy the neighbours. The music should be lively, something like rock or pop. Of course, the centre is another issue. I'm lucky in that I can match up with other centres to do the job. In the absence of that one just has to let the speaker do its thing.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1503
By the way when I say face each other, I mean nose to nose. And when I play the music I use a mono signal, either a mono CD, or the 2 right channel outputs of a CD player with multiple outputs or Mono switch on the preamp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us