Thump noise when Jamo d8 sub is switched off

Username: Ydsheth

Post Number: 3
I am having a Jamo D8 Sub. When it is swithched off, it makes a thump noise. How can this be avoided? Can this cause a problem to the driver?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3203
Hi Yogesh.
Is the volume down and the source powered off before the sub is turned off?

Post Number: 4
Nuck
Thanks for your reply.

I normally keep the sub volume at half. First I switch off the Receiver. Then I switch off the DVD player. Then I switch off the sub, but do not lower the volume of Sub while doing so. I'll try to reduce the volume to minimum.

Also, I have noted that that when I forget to switch off the sub, after some time it goes into standby mode and then if I switch it off, it does not make any thump!

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8763

Leave the subwoofer's plate amp in the "auto" mode and this should solve the problem.

Post Number: 5
I tried lowering the volume to minimum and then switch off the Sub, but it still makes noise.

Jan, I dont there is anything like "auto" mode in Jamo D8Sub. On the back there is simply on/off switch, RCA Connectors, Phase & Frequency control knobs. Leaving the Sub on without any use makes it go into standby or sleep mode(after 15 min.) and then the front led goes red(green when signal present). As I wrote earlier, sub does not make thump noise if I switch it off after it goes in standby mode.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8768

"Standby" is "auto" mode.

Why switch the sub off when it is in standby? Why switch the sub off at all?

The standby/auto mode is designed to let the sub idle at virtually no current draw when it is not in use. Unless you are a fanatic about energy consumption, this is the equivalent of a 4 watt lamp running constantly. If you are a fanatic about energy consumption, you will have to wait for the sub to go to sleep and then switch off the amplifier.

If neither solution is what you are looking for, you can install a "break" switch in the hot lead from the amplifier to the driver. Throw this first when you turn the sub amp off and last when you turn the sub amp on.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us