Speakers for NAD320BEE+NAD C-521BEE

Username: Mcmc

Post Number: 3
Hi,

I'm getting crazy with this. I want to get a budget, entry point, starting hi-fi, and I'm thinking about a NAD320BEE+NAD C-521BEE. The guy from the shop is recommending me a pair of Monitor Audio B2 as first option, and if can't afford it a pair of Wharfedale 9.2. Which one do you recommend me? Is there any other alternative?

Thanks a lot.
Mc

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4248
I would avoid Monitor Audio in general. Are you in the US and open to Internet-direct speakers? That would definitely get you the best bang for your buck.

Also check eBay for the Wharfedale 8.2 which should be quite a bit less.

Audioadvisor.com also carries the Diamond 9.x series and usually has great prices.

Post Number: 4
Thanks! I'm outside US but I'm going to try audioadvisor.com.

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 141
I'd recomend that you listen to the Monitor Audios before you decide against them!!!

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1111
MA is fine if a bit overpriced. I would say if it is outside of your budget don't concern yourself with it. The salespeople try to sell what their store carries.

Bronze Member
Username: Patrickbateman

MA

Post Number: 42
I think the MA gold GR10's are really amazing speakers.
If all you have heard are the bronze or the silver, go listen to the golds.

Username: Byam

Post Number: 7
My third system that I have set up in the basement consists of a NAD 7175PE receiver and a pair of Monitor Audio B-2's, pieces that have been left over from various upgrades to my other two. In my opinion the B-2's are not a good match with NAD. The B-2's bass is boomy, not tight. They lack resolution. I have listened to the GR-10's at a dealer before. As Patrick stated they are good speakers. However they may not be the best match, as MA tends to be warmer sounding. NAD tends to be warm as well. I once had a pair of Paradigm Studio 40 v.3's that I used with the NAD. The brighter sounding Paradigm's matched quite well with the NAD.
If it helps you might try to listen to a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42's. My bedroom system consists of NAD c320bee, c542 cd player, c422 tuner, and Dynaudio Audience 42. I am very pleased with it.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1464
My favourite speaker in that range is the B&W DM600. It's the most neutral of the lot. Diamond 9.1s are a bit rich for my taste, but a lot of people like them because of that warmth. MA offer a lot of speaker for the money (at least, they do here in the UK) but I always find them a bit coloured and mechanical.

Please note that NAD are replacing the C320BEE with the C325BEE imminently. This is happening at the moment. The 325 is about 10% more expensive I believe.

Regards,
Frank.

Post Number: 5
Hi everybody!

I've tried the Warfedale 9.2 and the sound is with NAD is quite well. I haven't tried the MA B2s but the cost is about 40% greater. I also tried the B&W but I personally found the bass a little bit boomy, ...
I've also tried a pair of Mordaunt Short 902i that are also quite nice, but not as good as the Warfedale having a similar cost.

I'm going to try Dynaudio Audience 42's, and the MA B2s.

Would I get a significant improvement having floor stand speakers? The guy also tried to sell me a set of NAD+PSB that sounded quite well. I'll be very happy with bookshelf ones but...

Thanks Frank Abela,Bill Bretz, PatrickBateman, Stof, Dan and Edster922 for your help. If you have any other suggestions...

Mc

Post Number: 6
Sorry. Wharfedale... :-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 4256
Floorstanders would make some sense in a music-only system without a sub and in a medium to large room, but they usually require a beefier amp than bookshelves in order to sound their best.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 990
Emmas?

Ed, I woulda thunk you'd a thunk of them. We're talking less money and incredible sound with the NAD equipment, no? Good luck mcmcmc, Dave

Gold Member

Post Number: 4270
I woulda if I coulda, but the Emmas now cost almost double a $350-400 pair of Wharfedale 9.2s --- except for that one b-stock Emma for $499 that's been on the Alegria Audio website for quite some time now...hope it's not already long gone.

Tim?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 988
I took all the components out of the black Emma pair that went on tour and touched up the cabinets. They had a couple of scuff marks and a tiny ding on the rear corner of one. They look pretty darn good but it's enough to stop me from selling them new. So, I'll build them up with all new components and sell them for $499/pr. That includes the improved crossover design as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 993
So, mcmcmc, there's a heck of a deal on some speakers that will easily take you into incredible sound and they mate up very well with the NAD equipment.

I'm still waiting to get a long listen at my friend's system on a bunch of different material but what I've heard so far is very impressive. Can't compare to the Wharfdales because I haven't heard them but I think Ed has heard them both, no? Give it up, Ed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4278
The Emmas definitely have better bass, a slightly bigger soundstage and more detail in the highs.

The Wharfedale does have a fuller midrange, and is a couple hundred less.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 990
FYI
The new crossover design has significantly improved Emmas mids. There are only two people on eCoustics that have heard the new crossover; Dak and Stephen Munz.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3217
500 bucks with the new innards is very good!

Silver Member

Post Number: 995
"500 bucks with the new innards is very good!"

Heck, I'd pay $600 if Tim could hook me up with new innards. LOL

I think we lost mcmcmc somewhere back there. I hope he's enjoying the Wharfdales or whatever.

Post Number: 7
Hi everybody!

Thanks for your help!!! I'm snowed under with job and I haven't been able to enter the forum.

I've been trying to get more information about the Alegria Audio on my local dealer but I can't find them. I'm not sure that those beauties are distributed in Spain...

The cost of a pair of Wharfedale 9.2 is 199€ (255$) that I think that is a bargain. I'm going to try the Dynaudio Audience 42 that are distributed here but the cost is much higher (575€--> 735$) and I've to notice a significant improvement to be comfortable paying for them.

I'm not sure about the floorstanders but I'll like to compare them to the bookshelf ones. Which one do you recommend me? Again Wharfedale is a winning horse with 9.6 for 399€-->511$. Klipsch RF 10 (320€-->410$), Mordaunt-Short 906i (375€-->480$) and KEF iQ5 (480€-->613$) are good priced options, but I have no reference about them with NAD.

I'm going to buy it next week, so I appreciate your comments. Tell me if you have any other ideas.

Thanks a lot.
Mc

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 992
No dealers in Spain and I'm sure the shipping would be a deal breaker. Thanks for considering them though.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 501
Highland Audio out of France. Speakers were the surprise lower priced really good stuff for me at the Consumer Electronics Show in January in Vegas. No US distributors yet but likely easy to get in Spain.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us