Another naive question--speaker wire choices?

Bronze Member
Username: Srkstan

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 47
Ok, I have the speakers I want and the receiver I want (nevermind that they are still in the mail). What kind of speaker wire does justice to a good system (NAD receiver and B&W speaker set up)? Is regular 16 gauge or 18 gauge good enough? Is there any advantage to a 16 gauge wire that claims THX certification? Is it necessary to look into the specialized "monstor cable" speaker connections? I want my system playing as good quality music as possible, but I also do not want to spend a mint on cables. What would cost under $100 and be the best bet for cabling a full 6.1 speaker system (all with banana plug capabilities)?

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 253
Sean

This may help for your wiring questions:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/archives/cable.html

About the pushed in tweeter dome: swap the speakers around and listen critically up close, further back and off axis. If no difference in the high frequencies are noticeable they should be okay (make sure they aren't cracked or split)- they'll just look awful without the grill attached.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 217
sean recently i have rewired and recabled my
system and found the acoustic research products
from best buy affordable and quality made.

personally i would not go any smaller of wire
than 16 gauge.

obviously the wire gets larger with 12 or 14 and
if you can get a good deal on larger wire by all
means go for it.

but i am like you and don't bye into all the hype
of extrtemly expensive cables and wires.and the
markup on that stuff is silly.

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 47
If you want to maximize your system's sound, there is simply no way around upgrading your interconnects and speaker cables. You have to adjust your stereo budget to include some money for cables and interconnects. The "wire" approach is very budget minded, but does nothing to optimize sound. The old "resistance/length/guage" thinking about wire guage really isn't an argument of much concern (much less sonic worth) since any modern amp has sufficient power supplies to drive anything but the largest most inefficient speaker. If you spent good money on NAD and B&W, why cheap-out on the signal you plan on delivering from the NAD to those B&W speakers. Try some Straigt Wire, Tara Labs or Audioquest.

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 218
obviously everyone has there thought on speaker
wire and interconects.

i personally believe once you have descent cables
there is no sonic difference in the ultra expensive
ones compaired to the good quality ones.

to me it is just a marketing ploy so the cable
companies can make huge profits.

and you do not need the salon selectives cables
to produce great audio.

money could be spent much better in other areas.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 255
Kegger

I'm with you on that!

Username: Pal

Pune, Maharashtra India

Post Number: 9
Hi,
I had also asked a similar question. guys the problem is that in India, i face problems like i can't have all the brands that u people mention, but can u please let me know the specifications to drive B&W 602 thru NAD 320 BEE.....i mean what guage of cable to look for, and other specs...
Can u believe it, i have been given a wait period of 15 days to get the speakers !!

Fezin
Unregistered guest
If you aren't doing runs over 30 feet, 16 gauge copper stranded wire should be fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Srkstan

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 48
Any opinions on flat cable? I am looking at some 11 gauge flat cable that has four connectors. I can get a roll of 100 feet for about $35, and it seems like a good compromise between super budget and hi-tech, but I don't know if the flat cable is not as effective in conveying sound.

Maxxy54
Unregistered guest
Sean,

Where can get this cable? Is there a source on-line?

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 219
sean no problem with flat cable!

11 gauge thats pretty descent size, where did
you find it.

Bronze Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 69
Outdoor grade extension cord with gold plated banana plugs. Wrap it with braid so everybody thinks it's boutique cable. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 48
Some of the flat cables are sonic wonders and a good bargain. But please, just no "hardware store" wire at .13 cents a foot for connecting upgraded speakers and audio systems.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 549
Sean:

I have found the wire from Part Express to be as good as anything else I have ever used (aand I have actually bought some pretty expensive speaker wire from time to time). I highly recommend it. They have "flat wire", "in-wall" wire, and just about anything else you would want. Here is the link:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=40

I know you will find what you need. Their in-house Sound King brand is very good and reasonably priced, but even their unbranded speaker wire is very high quality. I bought unbranded 14 ga. in-wall wire and it sounds no different than my Monster Cable brand speaker wire. After all, copper is pretty much the same, especially if they specify it to be oxygen free (OFC).

I also agree with KEGGER that you should get at least 16 gauge wire.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us