Speaker/reciever impedence question

meek
i also have a quick question for audio junkies or anyone else that can answer,

my kenwood 6070 has 8-16 ohm speaker compatibility

but the mirage speaker states

4 ohm minimum, 8 ohm nominal, will this speaker be bad for my reciever?

whats the difference between minimum and nominal? my reciever isnt supposed to be connected to 4 ohm speakers, shoudl i be concerned?

another question is does anyone know how good these speakers are? i cant really find reviews on these speakers so that has me kind of concerned.

Derek
The 8 ohm rating is typicaly the average impedence of the speaker. That number will vary across the audio band. Your speakers also state that the minimum is 4 ohms. That means that somewhere (ususally just above the bass resonance) your speakers dip down to 4 ohm. I wouldn't worry about it though. Most amps protect themselves from going up in a puff of smoke and its unlikely that this dip will effect the sound. This is normal. The Mirage's are very good speakers.

Anonymous
The diffrence is when you compare maxamum and normal maximum can gradually blow your speaker it also makes a bad sound when it is turnned to maxamum you can avoid blowing and making a bad sound by turning your Bass down o'h and by the way Mirage'sound terrebile without an amp but dont blow them they cost alot of money and so does Amp's
DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timn8ter
What the hell was that?
Anyway, Derek's answer is correct. Modern amplifiers are amazingly forgiving towards huge changes in impedence. You'll be fine.

This is my understanding.

If your Amp is rated @ 8 ohms, 8 ohm speakers are commonly used. You can use 4 ohm speakers. This just means at higher volume levels the amp delivers more signal thereby resulting in more heat generated by the amp.

If your amp is rated @ 4 ohms and you connect 8 ohm speakers, at higher volume levels you could hear distortion which can damage the speakers.
This depends on the quality of the amp and speakers.

This is just a general scenerio and most speakers are not fixed at a specific ohm rating.
The actual ohm's rating can be anywhere from 4 - 8 depending on the frequency used to measure the ohms.

Recent amps all have protection circuitry and are forgiving between 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers.

Just some thoughts.

Bob Katayama

Just an added note.
The speakers you mention should be fine cause your amp seems to be forgiving with the 8 - 16 ohm compatability.

Good luck

Bob

Hawk
Bob:

I believe you are incorrect in your belief. Amps have certain design parameters and some amps are simply not equipped to handle lower impedences. This is particularly true of the Japanese mass market receivers which do not have the capacity to handle 4 ohm loads.

I have tried to run 4 ohm speakers with my Denon and it does not work. If the amp is not designed for that type of low impedence load, it will overheat. Hopefully, the protection circuits will shut it down. If not, you have a fried amp.

Anonymous
Hi ,I just found an old 2x15 cab, and it doesn't say what ohms the speakers are. I was wondering if someone could figure it out from this information. 115 volts, 60 hz frequency, and 150 watts max. thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us