Bass help

Username: Toxus

Post Number: 4
well.. i basicly have a car speaker connected to my home audio system... for a start, is this ok? and they have a 40 - 22,000Hz frequency range, now.. when i play bass through them, will it blow the speaker?
thanks for any advise/ help guys... :D

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 971
Probably not, but you may damage the amp. Car speakers are typically 4 ohm nominal impedance. Not a problem if your amp can handle the load. I doubt you'd "blow" the speakers but I also doubt they'll hit 40Hz at the same output level they produce 1hKz tones. Ratings like 40-22kHz for car speakers are typically overstated. They may hit 40Hz but they'll be 20db down at that point. Successful attempts at using car speakers for home audio have been accomplished by putting the car speakers into small enclosures and using a subwoofer for bass. The size of the enclosure will be difficult to determine without the Theil Small parameters. You may end up performing trial and error to get it right.
Another possibility is making them "open baffle" style. Just mount the speakers on a flat board about 24" wide. The sound may surprise you.

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 972
...but then, if you turn the bass boost all the way up along with the volume control, yes, you'll probably damage the speakers. Consider the space a car speaker is designed to play in compared to the average room in a house.
The best way to avoid "blowing" a speaker is to turn down the volume.

Username: Toxus

Post Number: 5
ah, ok, thanks for the help any way. Supose it'll be 100% easier to use normal home speakers... :D

thanks

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 976
"Bass help",

I thought he was going fishing. I was going to tell him to buy a few plugs in various shapes, sizes and colors or he could just buy real home speakers from Tim and improve his sound considerably. IMHO anyway.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us