HK avr240 or avr435?

Username: Paresh

Post Number: 1
Hello and thank you for being so informative to a newbie who has been lurking around here for a few days.

I have about $400.oo to spend on a new a/v reciever. I have all but decided to go with the HK avr240. It seems like a good fit for my budget, situation, and listening needs. I'm grateful that I can actually buy some quality for my modest budget.

My situation and listening needs:
-12'by 15'living room in a condo with neighbors above and to one side (so I'll probably not even have the volume up halfway on this unit)
-Using just a pair of Klipcsh SF-1 towers for now, will add speakers gradually
-the features on the avr240 (ins and outs, formats, etc.) are probably all I'll need for now and the foreseable future)
-want a receiver that's good with both music and HT (50/50)

The question to you all is inspired by noticing that for just about $100.00 more, I can buy the avr-435, which I guess is two models up (and an older version).

Do you guys think it would be worth stretching my budget to get the 435. I suppose I would be willing to stretch if there is a good enough reason.
If you do think I should go for the 435, could you explain why?
Would the sound quality be signficantly better? Would it be something I notice, even without cranking the volume?
I have read in this forum that the 435 has a different chipset/processor. Can you explain the significance of this?

Thank you in advance for taking the time and trouble to answer my questions.

Post Number: 2
one further question, if you'll indulge me:
I noticed that the avr-240 is 8 or 9 pounds lighter than it's predessor, the avr235, and about 14 pounds lighter than the avr435. I know things often get lighter in electronic products from series to series, but is this a good thing in receivers? Thank you again Paresh

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1041
With Klipsch speakers you likely will not run out of power with either unit. However the 435 has a better chipset, remote, and will plain sound better. Comparing the features between the 2 production years will show very few differences, most of which you are likely not to even notice. I'd recommend the 435, definitely a good buy at $500.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3187
Paresh, yes some things do get smaller and lighter through technology.
Power supplies for amplifiers of any sort are kind of like that, with more expensive materials, but for regular receivers, heavy is good.

Except for digital switching models, which are different.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1625
Get the older model higher up in the line-up.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4247
paresh,

if you are willing to consider $500 for the avr435, you might as well add $50 and get the second-to-top-of-the-line avr635, $550 shipped from 6ave.com

Bronze Member
Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 35
Definitely take the 435 over the 240, and if the 635 is in your range, get that one.

www.6ave.com seems to point to a Spanish site. Wonder what happened?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4265
That's funny, I had no problems with them at all:

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?zipz=11001&x=AVR635&w=1

Post Number: 3
Hello again. I just wanted to let you know that I ordered the avr435 (from onecall for $450+$40 3-day shipping), mostly based on your almost unanimous judgement.

Edster, I tried to go to the 6thave site just to look into the 635 but couldn't get on that particular night. No matter though, I probably would have still gone with the 435, because I was stretching to my budget to the max as it was, and because I wasn't sure that the other retailer was an authorized dealer as they're not listed as such on HK's website.

In any event I feel confident that I have purchased a solid receiver that I will be happy with for years to come. And I think I got pretty good value for my money as well. I think the EZ set/EQ feature will probably be helpful to a novice like myself. I also like the possible upgradability by way of the RS-232 port.
And Nuck, you confirmed what I sort of suspected regarding the weight difference between the two recievers I was looking at: heavier is better.

Now I'm just looking forward to setting everything up and listening to the 435 through my Klipsch speakers. (As I learned on this forum these should go well together).

I sincerely thank everyone who responded to my post. Thank you all for your guidance.

Paresh

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3225
Good luck, Paresh.
Let us know how you like it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4283
I'm sure you'll be happy with the 435 too, Paresh.

Would be nice to hear from you after it comes in, tell us your impressions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us