Rotel Receiver Help- Output volume very low

Username: Mtpockets

East Aurora, NY United States

Post Number: 2
Hello everyone!
Can anybody out there give me some advice with this? I have a 1980's vintage Rotel RX-803 Stereo Receiver. Everything including all lamps work and it is in mint shape, so I can't bring myself to part with it. Anyway, when I power it up, there is output on both channels, but I can get very little volume out of the loudspeakers. This is the case with both A and B speaker terminals. Could it be as simple as a pot problem or is it more serious. I was hoping to get away with a self fix. Balance works fine as do all other functions.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank You Very Much!
Bob.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 545
Bob:

As I recall, that is about a 75 wpc receiver, so it should have plenty of juice. Tell me, have you tried using headphones to see if you get good volume when using the pre-amp stage only? If you have the same problem with headphones, then you could be right about the pot needing to be cleaned. However, if you have no problem with headphones, the problem is likely found somewhere else.

What speakers are you running? How efficient are they? Have you tried other speakers? Finally, is there any chance you have the speakers wired "out of phase?" One must do some detective work to isolate exactly where the problem lies, so check out these things and let me know. Maybe we can figure this out.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us