Archive through June 13, 2006

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2732
Sorry don't know that one.

I know I've mentioned her before, but any Tracy Chapman fans here?

I have listened to at least 4 of her albums and the music plus vocals are exceptional!

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4225
Almost incredible biopic of Alberta Hunter. I'd never heard of her, I regret to say. But I have clearly heard some of her songs, without knowing whose they were. What an education this thread is.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1449
Kegger: this Forum has forced/allowed me to branch out in my listening - for which I thank all of you.

As always, I dug into Amazon for my sometimes-short lived attempts to "find" a performer mentioned here.

Tracy Chapman has been doing her thing a long time, and for many people, she's been doing it very well. I can't argue with that.

Interesting song writing, very good backup musicians, but for this ole dawg she's just another in a long line of "talkers." By that I mean that she doesn't really "sing" songs, but creates music/word pictures with a voice that is sometimes haunting, sometimes sad, sometimes sweet. I'd have to say that, for this particular "style" she does a very good job.

Am I a fan? Well - yes, as to her obvious hard work in creating a song. No, only in the fact that I do not listen to that genre of music.

Do I thank you for mentioning her on the Forum? Very much - yes, sir. Helps me expand my rather limited musical horizons.

And if you ask: "what does Larry want in a "real" singer?" I offer this - get a copy of the soundtrack to "Good Night and Good Luck." Now THAT'S a singer!

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2855
Expanding musical horizons is(are) a beautiful thing.
Although a lot of the artists mentioned here are not my style, I do listen to quite a few suggestions and have downloaded(paid) some.

Indeed a great thing!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1450
Nuck: Betcha ain' listened-tah Kiri, hav yah?
(grin)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2856
Not yet Larry, but I'll have a look.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2733
Your right Larry she is mainly a talker type singer but a few albums are
different where she mainly sings, I'll look closer and suggest one of those.

I believe the one labeled Crossroads is more of a singing one if you get some bits to check out.

But when I get a chance I'll listen to a few and see.

Yes the band she normally runs with has got some great stuff with some not so
ordinary type instruements also. Usually very well recorded also and can get
some great bass going from your system not only with her voice but the music to.

She's got one of the deepest/layered voices I've heard in a female singer.

Good stuff for sure. Anyone else?

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1367
Kegger,

I have always been a fan of Ms. Chapman, but you should give a listen to Joan Armatrading. She was a forerunner of Ms. Chapman, and I think had a very profound influence on her style. Give a listen, I 'm sure you'll like what you hear.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1451
Nuck: fair enough. . .

Kegger: fair enough. . .

Rick: another name for me to research. thanx

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1368
Larry,

You're welcome!

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 598
Ms Hunter is certainly exceptional for an eighty year old and I'll look for that CD.

Kegger - I really like Tracy Chapman. She sings with Buddy Guy on his last album, but alas, only for a short time.

I agree with Larry about Dianne Reeves and also Rick about Joan Armamtrading - Pheobe Snow comes to mind also, she did a great version of 'At Last' on a Johnny Johnson album I have. We purchased a Nina Ferro jazz album on the weekend - one of our Aussie talents and she reminds me of Ms Reeves - great voice, but I do like Ms Kent's (Stacy) and Ms Martin's CDs more.

Another local lad here is doing well - recently released an album on Verve produced by Tommy LiPuma. Not bad in a Sinatra-ish sort of way.

http://music.ninemsn.com.au/artistfeature/default.aspx?aid=170

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1370
Sinatra-ish sort of way? Now that can't be all that bad! LOL!!

Hey Rantz, How you doing you old crocodile?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1452
All: I'm thinking that I'd best "sidetrack" myself on this discussion - mainly because I either don't listen to or don't seem to appreciate the talents of all these singers who are being reviewed and talked about on the Forum.

In fact, until I got "into" discussions about vocalists on this thread I never really paid much attention to them, outside of the Opera world. So I must plead insanity, er, no, I mean innocence in things vocal.

I'll keep reading, but I'm afraid that I simply cannot add to what you much more educated and experienced Dawgs are saying. Thus, politely I step off-stage. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 599
Rick,

Not too bad, thanks, you old 'gator - at least now - I'm sending you an email. Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8634

I was back at the used LP shop today and came across some Joan Armatrading. I thought she be a good recommend for Kegger as a precursor to Chapman. So, there you have it, a solid JA recommendation from three sources.

I hit the clearance LP racks where everything sells for $1 a piece. There were plenty of Armatrading discs to pick from, so you can check your local shop, Kegger. $50 later and I have a stack of new material from legends (Sinatra, Nat Cole, Jim Reeves and Basie) and has beens alike ("Junior Walker and the All Stars play Shotgun" and Tommy Edwards who penned "It's All In a Game"). It's always a pleasure to find Living Stereo and Living Presence for $1. One Van Cliburn Living Stereo from 1958, one Reiner and the Chicago doing "The Nutcracker" from 1960 and
one of the "fun" Living Stereos, "Twilight Memories, the Three Suns" from 1960. Liner notes indicate, "The Three Suns originally consisted of a Hammond Organ, guitar and accordian, but for some numbers the threesome has added to the instrumentation. 'Peg O' My Heart', for instance has a celeste and a vibraphone in this arrangement; you'll hear twin pianos in 'The Petite Waltz' and 'Jet'. And the addition of bass and drums is new to the group for these numbers." And, " ... they have all been freshly recorded in 'Living Stereo' to keep pace with the current era of faithful sound reproduction." The liner notes continue to say Mamie Eisenhower named The Three Suns her favorite recording group. This particular selection, however, is guaranteed to be " ... purely non-political listening pleasure ... ". Sounds terrific!

I also found these three in the bargain bins:

http://www.mmguide.musicmatch.com/album/album.cgi?ALBUMID=432792

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=Alberta%20hunter%20remember%20my%20name

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1032416

So I'll be breaking out the record cleaning machine and listening to some NOS music tonight. Catch you all later.

(I've got to stop this. Last week I spent $25 on dollar CD's at the V!rgin Records store that's going out of business in Dallas. Great stuff there too! Right now I've got more music than I can listen to.)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8635

Sorry, this should be the second link;

http://www.gemm.com/item/HUNTER-c-ALBERTA/REMEMBER--MY--NAME/GML552154505/

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1371
Good stuff Jan. Enjoy the music. That's what it's all about.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2734
Thanks for the "Joan Armamtrading" recomendations guy's, it's noted.
Any Rickey Lee Jones fans? Got some of her lately.

I too have been listening to "finds of music", probably the biggest benefit to me
for listening to vinyl with picking up stuff at garage sales/whatnot for $1 or less. :-)

Lately I've found some Basie, Nat king Cole, old stones, The tubes, Queen, Miles davis,
Yes, Hendrix, James Taylor, Jethro Tull, Foghat, Genesis, John Cougar, J Geils, Floyd,
Early Fleetwod Mac (With peter Green), REM, DR. John, Janis Joplin, ELO, Joe Jackson,
Dire Straits and some David Crosby (tribute thing with like 24/25 well known artists on it) Great Disk!
All those found for $1 or less in very good condition plus some great pressings to boot.
(There's a couple local guy's that know the pressings very well and have helped me out)

What's cool about picking up the cheap vinyl (Besides sounding good) is grabbing artist
you've heard of but never heard, and trying it out for peanuts. I've expanded my listenings
quite emmensly over the past year or two. Very cool indeed!

Finally got my turntable and phono stage sounding the way I want and it gets quite the workout!
(Denon DP-62L, Signet Cartridge (Maximum Resolution Twin-Flux Series), Modded EAR 834P)

The list uptop is just a small sample of what I've found/listened to lately. Great stuff!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8654

R.I.P. Billy Preston.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 600
Got "Now you're talking my language" by (http://www.societysyncopators.com.au/) A fine jazz cd if ever there was one. I don't know if it is available in your areas, but if it is have a listen. Very talented musos, great titles and good recording.

Also: Nina Ferro as mentioned a few posts back. Scroll down page for samples:

http://www.allegromusic.com.au/index.php?option=directory&task=profile&lid=3

And for Dr John fans - "Mercenary" Mac does Johnny Mercer songs in his inimitable style.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1453
Rantz: Good to hear from you again, and again. . .

2C - got the first Giuffre disc today - had to go to an "alternate" site to get it. Strange to get a disc with no plastic seal - but there were no marks on it, and it is a fine CD! (Jimmy Giuffre 3) Thanks for the send-to, it's nice late-night stuff for me! Will get the MJQ disc early next week - and from what I hear now, Giuffre should meld with the MJQ with no trouble at all!

Kegger: So you're deep into LP-land! Like so many other people these days. I just got an Online catelog that simply blew my mind. There they were in a long row - turntables, ranging in price from $250 to (gulp) $29,000. that's right - $29,000! So, what's going on here? Beats me - but I guess once a "fad" gets going it's hard to stop.

Are people that fed up with the great CD "perfect sound forever?" Must be. . .

Jan: I see in this catelog from Acoustic Sounds that the good old LS3/5a speaker lives on in new clothing. Now it's Sterling Broadcast labelled, but they "claim" to create the "original BBC sound." Interesting to read - don't know whether they actually do it. FYI as a LS3/5 owner. . .
www.sterlingbroadcast.net. $1,600 a pair.

Too many dollar signs - I'm bummed out. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8657

Yep, seen 'em. They've received good reviews. The sound is supposedly a bit better than the old BBC models (such as I own) due to a "better" cabinet which Sterling has been selling for a few years as a "reference-quality" replacement enclosure. The drivers and crossover are also new since KEF no longer manufactures the original units. What is interesting is they supposedly comply to the BBC credo that all 3/5a's can be sub'd for another in a pair without a mismatch occurring. They do, from what I've read, comply with the plus or minus 0.50 dB matching to the original frequency response spec though with slightly better high end extension.

From what I can understand, the reference cabinet is actually a bit more "lossy" than the enclosures which were sold as commercial 3/5a's. The backs are screwed on rather than being built as a "solid" cabinet. The 3/5a's were/are an unusual speaker and the cabinets played as large a part in their sound as the drivers or crossovers. In the 3/5a "Shootout" done by Ken Kessler and friends in 2001, an early prototype 3/5a received exceptionally high marks supposedly due to the screwed on back panel. Commercial 3/5a's, as I own, have a glued on back panel which make them more structurally rigid, an idea which is, as we are told today, certain to result in better sound quality.

The little 3/5a seems to defy contemporary logic in most areas. In this case, the more "lossy" cabinet sounds better than the tighter, more rigid cabinet. It's an odd speaker, indeed. And, to add to the 3/5a mythology, "Two of the oldest and proudest names in loudspeaker manufacturing, namely Rogers and Richard Allen, have been combined to build 'the best of British audio' and are to be branded collectively as Rogers RA. The new company has announced that it will be producing assorted speakers including the Studio 7 and Studio 9, but most intriguing is the punchline: the suggestion that the company might relaunch the BBC LS3/5A." Yeah, heard that rumor before.

As with the Quads, the story line of the 3/5a continues to expand. I have no idea how much of this is pure mythology and how much is British nationalistic pride. Neither speaker is as "revered" in the US as they are in England. In the US the newest model is always the best model. England seems to remember its past where the US wishes all too often to disdain its past. I am constantly awed by what the "old timers" did with their ears and their slide rules. (Interestingly, to me at least, the Yahoo 3/5a forum is awash in British euphemisms and references to which school each member attended.) I think that reflects more on American egos, however, than reality. It's possible the Americans, and other countries, are jealous they cannot build such products today. Wilsons are a far cry, in many ways, from the Quads or 3/5a's.

While I know there are things the 3/5a's and the Quads cannot do which contemporary American (and Brittish, for that matter) speakers manage, these two speakers remain dear to my heart as examples of marketing taking a back seat to good basic design. I think this, as much as anything, keeps me tied to the 3/5a's. The 3/5a was never meant for commercial release. It's retail success came only as word of the phenomenal little speaker from the BBC spread around the audiophile community in England in the 1970's. Peter Walker of Quad was an engineer first and a businessman second. Such products hardly ever survive in the world of commercial hype which exists today. The high end audio world is littered with companies where the designer/owner/president was an excellent engineer and a lousy businessman. My old Spicas are an example of such a company. A great design but a company can't exist today with just three products. Your product line has to look like the cereal aisle at the grocery store. Twenty seven flavors of the same thing.

I will sound like such an Old Dog, but I lament the loss of values that old time audio companies and once young artists had on the things I listen to and through. I recently read the reports from the 2006 C.E.S. and found the writers acting as if anything priced under $10k was "affordable" audio. Sorry, that's not the world I live in.

Has anyone heard from SM lately? She's dropped off the map once again.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1454
Jan: thanks for the fill-in - the liddle speakers do, indeed, sound like something very special. Were I in the market, I'd be very tempted.

And yes - tings ain' what they used-ah to be in most every aspect of life. Was listening/watching an interview with some 'old-time' Broadway actresses the other night - and they were complaining that Broadway just isn't the same. First, they said, there's all those body mikes! Which they hate. Then, there's the attitude of the young actors - if they feel like showing up, they do - but they don't have a real "work ethic" anymore. All too true - I experienced that in the news biz as well. Sigh.

Reverence for "the tried and true" "the old" - etc. - the world moves too fast and furiously, and I was long ago left behind.

Understand SM may be tied down to work at present?

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1455
Jan: Either new glasses or spelling lessons for me. Sigh. Make my earlier reference to the 3/5a - Stirling, not Sterling. www.stirlingbroadcast.net. Sorry about that - my old copy reader would have had a fit! (grin)

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4233
Hear, hear.

BTW "Sterling" is a mark of quality of silver etc., and also the currency. "Stirling" is the name of a town in Scotland.

I wholly agree with Jan's post.

There was an "old school" of engineer and designer who had no interest at all in market research. He saw his job as making a better product. Alec Issigonis, who designed the iconic "mini" motor car, was another example.

In my opinion, all real innovation still comes from pursuing the objective of making something new, and not from targeting existing markets.

There are many additional angles on all this.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 601
"I lament the loss of values that old time audio companies and once young artists had . . .

I lament the loss of values period, but my views aren't for this forum I guess. Anyway it's a sad and frightening thing. At least there is music - it just gets harder to find.

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1372
"At least there is music-it just gets harder to find."

They moved it all to a small rack in the back of the store.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 603
Aha! Now I know where to look.

Thanks Rick.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1456
Rick - thanks for the directions - I wondered where it all went!

Rantz: If you find some, let me know - the only music I can find anymore is on the Internet. But then, that's another reason that Mer and I are thinking very seriously about leaving Swampville for a more "normal" living environment - if that's still possible. Heck, maybe that, too, has been moved back, back, back. . .

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 606
Larry,

That's where we get most of ours also, but truth to tell, I have had a little luck in the local store recently.

BTW - I've been travelling the world on Google Earth recently and dropped in on Swampville. I knocked but you must have been out buying cd's - anyway, interesting looking city.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1457
Rantz: Drat! Jest when guests arrive - dat's when I go out shopping, uh, "hopelessly." (grin)

Yeah, we live in a beautiful city - full of super-rich folk and a few "real" people out on the fringes. Naples, the town, has only 36,000 residents - the rest of us live in Collier County. To give you an idea of the town's worth: Forbes Magazine recently did a poll, showing that, out of the estimated 12,000 "income earners" more than 1,800 were worth MORE than 20-million USD.

Here, you can drive for perhaps 10 KM and never lose sight of homes worth more than a million USD. Except out where we live! (double grin)

Even so - our humble liddle townhome, which we bought for $180,000 back in 2002, is now worth an estimated $365,000 USD. Yep - a rich town - and we hope to take some profit and run next spring.

but you are quite right: "an interesting town." Until the next hurricane comes calling! Hmm. . . .

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1458
MR: BTW - if your city-finder gives you real maps, you might be interested in some of our extremes. If you can spot highway 41, or "Tamiami Trail," as it is locally known, take a close look as it passes north-to-south through town.

West of 41 is where the rich enclaves are. Just the other side of the highway - east - are two very large housing areas where Naples' "legal slaves" live. Most of them are Haitians. Super-rich, super-poor, living within about four blocks of each other, but carefully divided by "The Trail." Which is heavily landscaped to prevent anybody on the West from seeing anybody on the East.

The second "legal slave" area can be found by driving east on Golden Gate Blvd. Go just east of Interstate highway 75, and you will find an area marked "Golden Gate Estates." Don't believe the sign. It is where the Latinos live, and it is about as depressed an area as the one near highway 41, though larger. This is also where nearly 100% of the drug arrests are made - a very dangerous place.

Our third "legal slave" area is about 10 miles east, in the run-down town of Immokalee. This is "farm country," where Ameruka's winter veggies are grown, and where migrant workers live in shameful conditions, by the thousands. Our local newspaper did another "investigative report" out there two weeks ago - and the county commissioners were "absolutely shocked" at the conditions they found.

Of course, those conditions have been in place for decades. . .but suddenly it's "good politics" to actually see what's going on!

two sides of the coin, my good friend - and anybody who thinks that slavery was abolished by the good President Lincoln has only to look around. . .

Whew - sorry - but sometimes "My Rantz" slip out, as well. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8661

"At least there is music - it just gets harder to find."

And harder to hear. It's allergy season in Dallas (when isn't it any more? Level Red pollution watch today in Big D, highs around 100°) and the tinnitus is beyond my ability to ignore at times.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1459
Jan: Tinnitus is quite often the result of a lack of magnesium in your diet. Check it out - you need at least 300 mg a day. Try it - it helped me very much, and a couple of friends report that, with 400mg a day supplements, their tinnitus essentially disappeared.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8664

I'll give it a try, Larry. I checked my multi-vitamin and it only supplies about 1/3 that amount. I've tried various remedies in the past and haven't had any luck. Most of the time it is manageable but when my allergy problems start flaring ... oh, my, the ringing in my ears gets bad.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4235
Phew. I come back, log on, and we have a whole world of debate. Again.

Google and Google Earth is another case in point. No-one did market research on those. Some crazy grad sudents in Stanford Univ said "Hey - wouldn't it be cool...?" and so they did it.

Larry, Highway 41 runs NW to SE through Naples according to Google Earth. I first tried Southern Queensland to see how the Rantzes are getting on. Then just typed "Naples Florida". Awesome. Some sort of ocean and half the continent of N. America just fly by.

And that is with the CD-resolution Google Earth. I have not signed up for the hi-res version. I am waiting for the format to settle.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2880
Try Parkhill, Ontario, Canada.
You can see a cow!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2881
Try Parkhill, Ontario, Canada.
You can see a cow!
BTW, the pic is 15 yrs old!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4239
Looks like cloud cover over Station Street.

Is it obscuring the cow?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 590
Dark side of the moo?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 607
John - did you see me wave?

Larry - I'll give the magnesium info to my mum - she suffers badly from tinnitus, as does it seems Jan. As far as your city goes - I think there are many with areas we try to hide or ignore - but here the problem is on a much lesser scale I think.

With Google Earth one can go back in time - but won't it be something when we can get it in real time and also get down to earth a bit more? You dogs will have to behave yourself then :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2892
Good one, Sem! LOL!
And MR, youd best cover up, UV and all!

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 970
Does anyone out there listen to Alberta Hunter? I just picked up "Amtrak Blues" on vinyl at the used record shop.

I found a Columbia "Collector's Choice" CD edition of "Amtrak Blues" and I am enjoying this music. Really good, including "My HandyMan Ain't Handy No More":

He shakes my ashes, greases my grittle
Churnes my butter and he strokes my fiddle
My man is such a handy man

He threads my needle, creams my wheat
Heats my heater and he chops my meat
My man is such a handy man

Now I don't care if you believe it or not
He's a mighty man to have around
And when my furnace gets too hot
He's right there and turns my damper down

Good fun! The thing I hate about budget releases is that there is no credit of the side musicians. Jan, if you have time could you list them for me, assuming they're listed on your LP.

Thanks.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1460
Jan & Rantz: yes, by all means try magnesium - but. Try to find the magnesium Citrate - and do not take the more common magnesium oxide. It doesn't absorb well at all - waste of money.

Take magnesium on an empty stomach if possible. I take 100 mg between b-fast and lunch, 100mg between lunch and dinner, and 100 mg about an hour before bedtime. Helps me sleep - really.

Jan: some of the best and cheapest magnesium is at Vitamin Shoppe - 200 mg tablets often on sale. I cut them in half - as it is not good to take large dosages of magnesium. It probably won't help much for a week, then you will surely see some positive results.

Magnesium, BTW is also a first-line defense against migraine headaches. You can look it up.

Most of us are deficient - and if you got to the trouble to research magnesium, you'll be surprised at all the problems deficiency causes. Cheap health insurance, this stuff. . .

(also gives testosterone a liddle "nudge" upward) FYI the oldest dogs. . .(grin)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1461
John A. - who am I to argue with Google Earth? (grin) maybe the hiway does run at an angle - but don't try to tell the "locals." To them, it's either Tamiami Trail North or Tamiami Trail South. Both end up in ratty shopping strips, anyway. . .(grin)

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1385
Larry -

Thanks for the Magnesium info. I get migraines pretty often. I haven't heard of magnesium as a treatment. I also have the old ringing in the ears every now and again. Now that I think about it, I'm falling apart in my old age of almost 30.

Mangesium also helps with muscle spasm and cramps if anyone is interested.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2895
On the rare occasions when I have trouble sleeping, it used to last for a week at a time.
My sister gave me a bottle of mag tablets and one about an hour before bedtime is very helpful

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4245
JOHN;- I recall a Bessie Smith number "My kitchen man" on a similar theme. It must have influenced "My handy man" or vice versa. From the bio in the link Jan posted, Alberta was not singing from personal experience....

MR;- Sorry, I think I was at too high altitude to notice. I hope you you not think I was being rude or standoffish. I'll fly by again, later, and try to get a good angle of tilt. That does not make much difference in Florida, I noticed. Larry, where are the famous mountains?

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 591
Larry, thanks for the magnesium tip, I may try it. No ringing in the ears but do get migraines at the rate of a couple per month. Taking (prescription) Zomig as they're coming on usually stops them dead in their tracks. But I'll try anything that'll get me off a prescription drug.

(No problems with spasms, ear ringing , or any of those "other" issues).

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1462
Sem, Stu et al: OK - in my "past life" I did tons of medical research - so I may have a teense more knowledge than some - but probably not that much!
(grin)

Anyway - as to migraines - take 300 or 400mg daily five days a week - two days off. Divide the dosage so that you never take more than 200 mgs at a time - preferably not more than 150 at a time. Between meals, and NOT with calcium. This, BTW, includes antacid tablets - calcium hinders magnesium absorption.

Also - especially when you think a migraine is coming on - take 100mg of Timed Release Niacin once a day. Note, please, to use only the timed release Niacin. Many people with migraines take 250mg of timed release niacin daily - but I think that may be a tad too much. NEVER take more than 250mg a day. And again - do this only five days a week.

Why the break period? Well, the body often needs some self-adjustment time, and any overloading of the system usually diminishes the drug/vitamin/mineral's effectiveness.

I may have posted that, a couple of years ago, Mer and I were part of a "tasting" experiment for a giant seed company. In a lab, tasting melons, peppers, etc. to see which of their seeds were best.

Anyway - Karen, the "boss lady" suffered terribly with migraines, often missing days at a time. When she finally told me the reason for her absence, I politely suggested the magnesium/niacin.

Well, at first she balked, because she was taking prescription stuff.

But the next "bad" migraine she awayed to the pharmacy, and began my suggested dosage.

It didn't help immediately, but the next migraine she had was, she said, "about half as bad" as the others. And two months later she reported that she was only having about one "moderate" migraine a month - where she had experience four or five a month previously.

When we left the experiment, six months later, she was a happier camper - with very few migraines, and off the prescription meds.

Will this work for everybody? I just do not know - but I DO know that it has helped several of my friends. One good deed at a time, eh? (grin)

Again, friends: Try to get magnesium citrate - do NOT take magnesium oxide or magnesium sulfate (which is basically epsum salts).

Some people - in hard-water areas - get almost enough magnesium in the water. Parts of Texas, especially SanAntonio, are in that camp.

Australia, however, has perhaps the lowest amount of magnesium in the water supply - which is why they have high rates of heart problems and migraines.

Hope all this helps - and the only thing it has to do with "audio" is that - without tinnitus - you'll hear the music better!! (double grin)

Oh, yes - JOHN A. - what "famous mountains?" Huh?

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4247
Larry,

Sorry, mountains in Florida was a "goof" in some movie, but I have forgotten which.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 612
Okay folks, this is it for me. I'm not coming back until someone can let me know that this p-o-r-n problem is well and truly eradicated. I'm sick of clicking on posts lately only to be sickened by what I see. The admin on this forum hasn't got a clue it seems. Cheers all and take care.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2911
So Stu gets the boot for pointing out the Admin is hopeless.
This will obviously be my last post as I am next in line for pointing out that the admin must be making so much money that he/she will not use the countless offers from members to moserate the forum and make it a useful and enjoyable destination.
Anyone who wants to tell me where they are going, please email me.
I will be able to post further because of multiple isp's on the road, the name will change little.
It's been fun, now I must get online to the sponsors and point out what a POS the forum has become, and wonder if they want to continue an agreement with such a poorly run operation.
With respect and appreciation,

Jamie

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4254
All clear. As far as can see.

Stu, I saw your responses, and many of us felt the same way, I know.

The problem is, posted responses were giving the b_astard the attention he craved - our anger was his reward.

Like many others, I expect, I e-mailed admin and received a prompt reply. He did his best. I am not sure how he, or anyone, can protect an open forum from a malicious attack of that kind. It would be impossible, and undesirable, for someone to read and screen every post.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1463
All: I seem to the be the only Dawg who hasn't seen these offensive postings - but then, I don't access all the threads, as y'all obviously do.

My problem is simply getting onto the Forum in the evening - 8 p.m. to about 1 a.m. - it simply will not "take." Very frustrating. . .

I hope that Rantz and others don't desert the Ole Dawg threads - for you all add a lot to my days!

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4255
There is more. Under a different alias.

I have e-mailed admin again, and sent another PM to MR.

Nuck - I am not defending, but.... What's can admin actually do? Read and screen every post?

The malicious poster should be tracable by admin. At least his ISP will be known, and they should have a database of their subscribers.

Larry, I too noticed the forum was down. Probably it needed to be for admin to intervene.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1465
John A. et al - wellll, just tried accessing my OperaNutz Unite thread under "Music" - and got quite a shock! I've posted to Admin to get Berny4 Off the Forum - and hope it works. This is just going too far! Disgusted is what I am!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2913
Admin can admit that he needs the support, and volunteer support at that, which has been suggested and offered many times.
If Admin cannot do the job alone, at least do not allow pic's until the situation can be settled. This would be inconvenient to bragging rights areas, little more, for a while.

Every poster needs to provide a valid email addy, so how hard could it be. Numerous user names means numerous emails, and those are easy to obtain, should one wish.

How do other sites avoid all the rubbish?
With a staff who can handle the job.
If there is not enough cash flow generated by ads to support this kind of operation, thenI am better off avoiding the whole situation anyhow.

I may not be missed, but some of the more valuable assets of knowledge will be.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1466
Nuck, et al - well, I hate to even think of it, but maybe some sort of "Ole Dawgs" E-mail setup would be a safer place to post? Slower, but we wouldn't have to watch closely to be sure our wives don't look over our shoulders when we're Online - and we wouldn't have to explain why we were watching, uh, "trash."

Gold Member

Post Number: 2914
Larry, that's fine.
I use messenger, and that works quite nicely. Even see who is online and emqail from there.
I don't want to loose the contacts whom I have gotten to enjoy conversing with, although some membes may be lothe to open email to others.
My email is there for the taking, should anyone wish to drop a line.

Let me check with the kid. I may start some sort of secure post-forum for the member who might want to join in!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1467
Nuck: OK, sir. . .

If any of you check the "Suggestions" threads - well, don't bother - it's all pics now. Sigh.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2919
Larry, I'm fairly certain that Mer isn't watching over your shoulder! LOL.
And if so, she would doubt your taste, let alone discretion!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1468
Nuck: Actually, she did come in the room a few minutes ago, as I was trying to find a "clean" thread. Her comments shall not grace this Forum. But I did convince her that this was a problem - and not our normal posting routine! (grin)

I keep e-mailing admin. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 2920
Mailaway, Larry,...nobody home.
I think the solution is a new venue, I'm working on it.

Until the woes are mended here, I shold be able to provide a respite by 2nite.
When I have something up, I will post.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1469
Nuck: Sigh - well, I try! (Mer says I'm very trying at times! - grin)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2921
hehe

Gold Member

Post Number: 2922
I will try to have something up today folks, no guarantees, but I try.

This would be a basic posting site, but emails would be req'd to get it going and be able to post.

Who knows? Maybe it will be respite for all the regulars here to get away from it all.
Jaxx, classics, parrot-heads, dead-heads, yadda, yadda.

I will post, so long as I am not barred.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2926
I have a roughed out website ready now, but I need a dog to send me an emailaddy. I wont post it here, because the security takes a couple of days.
It's basic, but good to go.(thanks to the education of the littlun's) I knew it would pay off!

Drop a line, and I send it along!
And yes, the addy is secure, you think I want the other shite that comes with it? NOT!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2934
The keys will go to whomever wants to have a funny and infomative forum!
Catch!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2937
C'Mon dogs, have a look at the kennel.
Start up the 'er.. compost.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2940
And away went John A's post simply about leaving until things were more 'stable'.
Amazing!
Big Brother, indeed!
Able to make members disppear at a moments notice, but cannot control posted pic's all over the place for countless hours on end!
And directed to the Admin in particular, sitting there until morning tea is finished!
Deplorable!
If I ran my business that way I would have time for crumpets as well, having no more business to tend to!
Shame!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1470
Well, I have to say that I'm confused. All my pleas to Admin to remove the disgusting Berny4 have disappeared - while a lot of "those pics" remain on the Music and other threads.
Oh, I know that it may take a while to get rid of the jerk, but I'm rather unsettled that Admin has seen fit to delete our pleas for help! What does that mean?
Will this posting disappear as well?
I really try to be logical, polite and conscious of the fact that problem-solving takes time. But fair is fair, and I hope that those of us who value this Forum are not dealt with unfairly. . .

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1472
Gents - it looks like Admin is doing a better job of house-cleaning than I at first believed. There are names still on the various threads - but apparently the offending pictures are mostly gone.
Admin - I thank you. What happened to the Forum was insulting to a lot of us - and I'm sure to you, as well. Any suggestions on how to keep that from happening again?

A loyal Forum supporter. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 2946
Same as last time, Lar. Just wait till it happens and get it cleaned up in 18 hrs.

Your loyalty is encouraging.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2947
Gee whiz, Jan, why didn't you sign in there?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2949
A brief sidebar, please.
The oilers and hurricanes played an awesome game tonight. The rest of the finals are on NBC, so no more 'OLN' for the rest of the show.

This is for the cup. The Oldest and most storied championship in NA.
The hardest, most heartfelt championship in sports.

I hope y'all enjoy it!
I will.
Go Oilers!

Sorry, I just had to.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2960
What breed of snails are best for escargot?
We are up to ankles with the pests here, so I am doubting that garden snails are the preferred variety.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1477
Nuck: Whacha-do is to set out liddle saucers of beer, embedded in the ground so the lip of the saucer is at ground level. The snails/slugs crawl in and drown. Really. Been using it for decades - with cheap beer, of course! (grin)

Coupl-ah new CD reviews from me: Music/Discoveries.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2962
Thanks, Larry.
When I say lots, I mean inundated, overrun call in the marines type of thing.
We have drowners all over the yard. Large pails of vinegar to plunk them in.

Mrs nuck saw a pic of the B&W Nautilis and said 'Looks like a snail, I hate snails'.

I think she would rather eat a speaker than a snail. I on the other hand, rather enjoy them. Of course, anything drenched in garlic butter and grated parm would be good, short of a speaker cabinet.

I will check the reviews now, thanks!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1482
Nuck: my friend Verne, out in LA - uses the B&W Nau - tilis speakers in one of the recording studios where he sometimes works. He says he loves them, but that, for some reason, he gets "tired" of them after long recording sessions. Strange - gotta ask him about that speaker-fatigue. Or is he simply tired of listening - period? I do not tire of listening to my 705s - unless I am listening to those dratted Deutsche Gramophon CDs! Arrgggghhhhh!!! they are shrill and cold. . .IMHO

What I'd REALLY like to audition is a pair of the BBC speakers that Jan oft-times raves about, and which are out in a new incarnation. Don't even look like snails one liddle bit! (double grin)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3380
"unless I am listening to those dratted Deutsche Gramophon CDs! Arrgggghhhhh!!! they are shrill and cold. . .IMHO"

Same with the RVG Blue Note remasters. Often bright and cold. I listen to them at low volumes. Great music though...

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1375
Larry,

If you want to audition a pair of BBC speakers, give a listen to the Spendor S3/5. They are a direct descendant of the famed LS3/5a, and very much the same sound. I wouldn't part with mine. I think they are the best small speaker on the planet. Just my humble opinion. I bought mine on Audiogon, and they can be found there for $600-$700 per pair.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2967
Hi Rick.
I have read so many times about the classic BBC sound. Although no single element can make that sound complete, does the little 'bump' at 110-130Hz charicterize the sound?

Without hearing the 'sound' I can't get a mental sound of it.
I may have heard it without knowing.
Is it a jazz thing?

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1378
Nuck,

Yes, the "bump" is part of the design. What I think is the essence of the BBC sound is the near perfect, timbral quality of the mid-range. It's just dead on accurate, and natural sounding, with no listener fatigue.

I am not a big jazz fan, so I can't coment on the jazz thing, but I know as far as stringed instruments go, I have never heard a violin reproduced better on any other speaker.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1484
Rick: Yes, sir, I hear great reports on the Spendors, but the ones I really want to here are the newish Stirling 3/5a speakers - supposedly accurate copies of the original BBC speakers. Have seen them in the Acoustic Sounds catelog for $1,500 USD. Jan knows of them - but I have no way of auditioning them down heah in Swampville. All we get here are the "big box" mass-market speakers, with an occasional B&W and Magnepan thrown in for good measure, if they happen to be in stock. Sigh.
As we are thinking seriously of moving in the spring, perhaps I'll finally be able to put my 705s in a good listening environment. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4261
Larry;- Rick beat me to it.

The Spendor S3/5 is close to the original. I read all the HiFi News reviews, including the "LS3/5a wannabee shoot-out" to which Jan refers. The Stirling 3/5a was not out, then. I recall that is has a bass reflex port.

Rick;- "I think they are the best small speaker on the planet."

If one edits out "small"; New Quad ESL models. A new range after less than twenty years, this time - is there no end to this obsession with novelty....? (smiley). They may just be beefed up 988/989 models; which are based on the ESL63. No fundamental design change, just evolution. Which would be good.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1490
John A - from what I read, I had better NOT try to audition the Quads! Mer does not take lightly to me suddenly spending large amounts of money! (grin)

Actually, I'm not in the market for new speakers - just like to see/hear what's out there, and what is liked by people I respect (add your names here).

Mer says to remind y'all: "First comes the new Camry, then a Big Move to the Carolinas, then maybe stereo upgrades." Hmm. . .I think when she puts hands on hips and takes her FBI shooting stance that I should listen carefully. . .(big grin)

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4264
Larry;- I would guess your present speakers are excellent, small, electromagnetic, two-way, reflex port designs. I doubt the Stirling 3/5a is in a different league.

As you may recall, I agonised and eventually went for used, refurbished, no-longer-in-production, but "the speaker I always hoped I would own, one day, when I grew up". It was the right thing.

The old-new Quads are totally out of my price range. The new-new Quads will probably be more so. But I am heartened that the basic design appears to be the same as my old-old Quads. BTW Mrs A thought they were monsters when I got them. Now she loves them, too.

BTW, What happened to "head of the household"...? (smiley)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2980
When the hands go on the hips, there is no doubt about head of anything!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1491
John A - nothing happened to the "head of the household." SHE is still here. . .(double grin)

Finally got an answer from Cambridge on the rolloff frequency for bass management. As it is not adjustable on the players, and I wanted the info.

they say it is 80Hz, with a 24db/octave "slope."

Jan: Is that good, bad, so-so? It seems to work fine for me - jest wunnering. . .

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 766
Are any of you Old Dogs fans of Helen Merrill?

I recently picked up two old albums from the 50's, "The Nearness of You" (arrangements by Gil Evans) and "Merrill at Midnight", that absolutely blew me away. I've never heard finer singing.

I'd be interested in recommendations for other albums by Ms. Merrill.

Cheers!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1495
Ahhhh - he emerges from the shadows again. Can it be? Shhhh - it is! Two Cents Lives!!!!! Yeah!!

You're always too long gone, my friend - and we are happy whenever you pay us another visit.

Helen Merrill??? I thought she was dead! No - seriously, I have, indeed heard of her! Listened to her a long, long time ago - and then several years ago added one of her CDs to my jazz collection. It's a wonderful disc - Helen Merrill with Stan Getz!
It's the only album of hers that I own - Mer doesn't really "dig" her, so I listem primarily late at night, usually on the computer when I'm writing.
The 50s albums are much more "mellow" than her later stuff - great late-night listening!

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 768
Larry R.,

Yes, I live--if you consider working living. Been swamped with work stuff. So I haven't been able to keep up with the Old Dogs. When I do find some free time, I prefer to put on some music and chill rather than surf the 'net. Lately, listening to Helen Merrill late at night while sipping scotch has been my therapy of choice. (I've switched to your brand, Grants, after the local Trader Joe's stopped stocking my favorite cheap single malt.)

Also, I have no thoughts at the moment of upgrades or tweaks, so am not able to contribute much to audio discussions.

How are the Jimmy Giuffre albums?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1497
2C - Ah, the JG albums - I give high marks to his early works - the JG Trio is fine - but as he goes along, he tends to get more, uh, "esoteric," and he loses me along the way.
The JG/MJQ album is strange - Mer says she finds it "unsettling." Soooo - we'll probably donate it to our local library, which is full of our cast-offs as it is! (grin)

As to Grants - I searched, and tasted, and questioned, and tasted, and searched, and tasted for years - and finally determined that - for everyday Scotch-drinking, there was no label on the planet that met my needs for smoothness and quality of "mouth" that Grants delivered. Oh, I can easily be jammed and scratched by those who might consider it "beneath them," but I do not care. Do Not Care.

For "special" occasions I break out the single-malt, but of an evening when I look forward to a fine dinner, and Mer with me on the sofa with cool jazz and perhaps a special movie later - well, Grants just seems to fit just fine! I save Cardhu and the other hi-end brews for occasions of note - which, at my advanced age, are rare, indeed! (double grin)

Understand the work-problems, 2C - was "in the harness" for some 30 years. But now, after being "untethered" for 16 years, I still miss the rush and the adrenalin, and the ups and downs. Sigh. So I empathize with you, my friend.

As you so often say: "Enjoy the Music!"

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1407
Dawgs -

I didn't get banned for bashing the Admin. I thought I was going to. Then I had a few family commitments that had me away from the computer for a while. Sorry for any misunderstandings.

Sorry to bring the conversation backwards here but...

Glad to see a couple of people saw my posts to the Admin before they got deleted.

John wrote: "The problem is, posted responses were giving the b_astard the attention he craved - our anger was his reward."

I didn't communicate with him in any way. I knew that he'd see my posts about him and possibly 'step it up' so to speak. As wrong as it may seem, I wanted him to keep it up. I thought it would make the arguement to the Admin stronger. If something happens once or twice, it can be a fluke. If it happens about 130 times (I think that was his post count), it can't justifiably be ignored. My and everyone else's pleas for a moderator were ignored. All posts on the subject were deleted as if nothing ever happened. Quite a shame if you ask me.

Moderators wouldn't make this a prefect forum. But it would keep the garbage that plagues the forum to a minimum. People are here at all times of the day. Lets say we had 4 people moderating the Home Audio section. Trash like what happened would be deleted seconds after it was posted. A few people including myself saw the first few posts and watched it as it went from one or two to about 130 in 30 minutes. If any of us that were around had moderator capabilities, we could have deleted them as we saw them, which was almost instantly. We could have banned him, or at least suspended him from posting until the Admin had time to make a decision.

Is it just me, or does that sound logical? I don't think that's rocket science. That's how every forum operates, minus this one.

Again, sorry to take a step backwards in the conversation here. I'm not looking to making this the new topic in the thread. I'm just trying to clarify my standpoint to the people whom I stay here for. If it wasn't for the majority of you here, I'd have been gone a long time ago.

Bronze Member
Username: Margie

Napa, California

Post Number: 82
Hi Stu,

Very glad to see your post. I did not see the offending posts but I did see some of the aftermath. I enjoy reading you (and so many others) and the idea that you would have been banned from the forum....Well I just didn't beleave that you would have posted anything that I would have considered just cause.

Margie

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1410
Thanks for your kind words Margie.

The Admin kept deleting my posts. It seemed like he thought he was losing control of what was going on, and I was some how a ring leader trying to overthrow the establishment.

I was pretty vocal about how I felt. I told him that he has no pride in the forum and doesn't care what we think. I told him he was shutting us up before we could even voice an opinion. I also told him that I thought the regulars here should all go to a moderated site together. I don't think he liked it very much. The posts got deleted almost as fast as they went up.

I didn't want to say these things, but I felt like I had to.

Maybe a little paranoia on my part, but you never know. The easiest way to shut me up would have been to get rid of me. IMO of the way he responds to things here, it wouldn't have bothered him in the least bit to get rid of me. His actions (or lack there of) are a lot louder than his words. He always says something along the lines of "We're considering that." I found a quote that's over a year old where he was saying he's contemplating moderators. I posted it and asked him why it's taking so long. He never responded. He deleted the thread.

In the end, I've said all I have to say on the subject. I honestly don't think it's going to make any difference. I'm pretty much done with it. When the subject comes up again, I'll put in my 2 cents, but I won't go out of my way to make my opinion known.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4270
Stu,

You did a good and public-spirited thing. But I believe the malice in those pictures feeds on attention. I myself e-mailed admin, twice, giving the name of the poster - whom I did not want to reward, even by seeing his alias in posts.

If I were admin, I would have taken out the offensive stuff, as well as the immediate correspondence about it, just as a "clean-up" operation. And that must be quite a job. I very much doubt he targets criticism. Moderators might. I would prefer not to have moderators, myself.

If you really feel you are being excluded, as an individual poster, just let us know, and that really will be cause for a campaign.

Margie;- I agree completely. It is good that you missed the graphics and their commentaries. They were just sick. Really.

2c;- Welcome! I recently made a Mahler recording recommendation to Larry on "Discoveries", and mentioned your name re MTT and SFSO.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3387
The problem with not having moderators is that some of us read the forum at work during our lunch hour and if that garbage shows up at that time we (I) can literally be fired. I don't run that risk by reading any other audio forum that I am aware of and shouldn't with this one. I think that it is shameful.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1500
Stu - welcome back - and thanks for standing up for all of us who value this Forum and its members.

Art makes a good point - and one that should be broadened to include members of our households. How would I feel if a 12-year old daughter of mine accessed the forum - only to be confronted with the trash that suddenly came on our screens? Mer is very open-minded, but when she saw the postings she got very angry, and wanted to know how such crud was allowed? (so did we all!!)

John A - you've got children. What if they had accessed the Forum when the pics were seemingly everywhere? How do you explain that?

Some people might laugh (none of you, however) about such an incident - but I consider it a personal insult, and one I shall not tolerate again. But what can I do about it? Leave, I guess. . .but that doesn't solve the overall problem.

Any suggestions as to another Forum we ALL might transfer to? If Admin loses everybody he might decide to take quicker action?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us