Subwoofer help,,,

Username: Stoneym

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 1
I have just recently moved into a new home and need to modify my home audio a bit. My original Home theater room was about 10'x12'. When I was in that room, I bought a Def Tech ProSub 100TL. A 10" subwoofer was all I needed for the space. My listening area in the new house has broadened to about a 20'x21', and the 10" can't carry the room. In my opinion anyway. Since I already have the one sub, would it be better to get another ProSub 100TL and run both, or to get a 15" sub and replace the 10" altogether?

If the answer is to purchase another ProSub 100TL and run both, is there any problem with splitting the LFE signal from my receiver, and how long of an LFE cable can I run reliably?

Thanks in advance for all your help...
Stoney

Username: Ty911

i just brought 2 15"volfenhag subwoofers i would like to try and build a ported box for them where do i start???? need some help ASAP

Username: Stoneym

St. Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 2
Also... would there be any problem with having different length LFE cables for each sub? Will the difference in length cause a delay that can be heard?

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 483
Stoney--

Electricity travels far too fast for small differences in wire length to make a difference.

Of course you don't want one length to be 6 feet and the other 50 feet--but that is more for impedance and stability reasons than speed of signals.

A couple of excellent self-powered subwoofers are the Outlaw Audio (bought online with a 30 day return policy) for $579 and the Hsu VTF-2 or VTF-3 (depending on how much you want to spend-from $499-$699). The Hsu's are also bought online with a 30 day return policy and are excellent. As a matter of fact, Dr. Hsu worked with Outlaw Audio engineers on their subwoofer.

You may want to hook up one of the new subs first and see how it sounds and then add the one you already have. Depends if you hear and improvement, or if you find the sub you already own is muddier and degrades the sound.

Jan Vigne
Unregistered guest
Stoney - It depends on how much money you want to spend and what quality of sound you want to have. The Def Tech is not a bad unit and is reasonably priced for its performance. A large reason for that price and performance is the use of a 10" driver. That size driver offers a pretty good level of stiffness vs. mass. Obviously as you get a larger driver you will sacrifice one if not both of the above qualities. It is much more difficult to get a 15" driver to overcome the mass of its own weight and the air mass that sits on the driver's face to get the woofer to move forward. And once you have it moving forward it is not going to want to stop and move backwards again without a fight, that old inertia thing they mentioned in high school. The voice coil of a 10" driver is likely to be larger in relation to the driver itself than a 15" driver's voice coil. That means the 10" is being driven over a larger portion of its surface which (usually) translates into better control and less distortion. It is also much easier to control the resonances in a 10" woofer's enclosure than in the larger panels of the 15". Once again that means cleaner sound from the smaller driver. Big, and I do mean BIG, dollars can begin to overcome some of these inherent difficulties in the larger woofer but it cannot solve all the problems. I don't know what "carry the room" means but I will assume you think there is not enough bass as oppsed to the depth of bass response. I would suggest you might be exciting a room node in the larger room and have a standing wave that is preventing you from achieving the bass response you want. If that is the case you might be able to solve a large portion of the percieved problem by moving the sub around in the room. There is a process that you should go through to find the best position for the subwoofer in any given room. Do a little research on the internet to find how to properly set this up. Position of the sub and where you sit affect the response you hear. Not as much fun as buying a new sub but cheaper. If you are certain you have the sub in the best position and you are still dissatisfied with the sound I would suggest you first try the addition of another 10" sub. This is most likely to give you the best sound and depth of response. It is possible to put too large a driver in a given room and end up with less bass than a smaller driver would produce. If you really are desiring the bragging rights of a 15" woofer, I don't think many retailers would object to taking back a 10" sub and upgrading you to the price of a 15". As far as splitting the signal, you can always split an output but you should never combine an input. A simple Y connector will do what you want and you should keep your cables as close to the same lenghth as possible.

Jan Vigne
Unregistered guest
Tyrone - You start on the internet. Just type "diy speaker enclosure" into your search engine and find out what comes up. How and why did you buy a woofer if you didn't have any idea what you should do with it?

Username: Natediggidy

Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3
Keeping it simple, yes you can add a second sub and hook it up as you describe with no problen. Alot of HT setups have 2 subs to get a more even response throughout the room. Placement is the key whether you use one sub or two so experimentation is the key.

Bronze Member
Username: Sssand2

Post Number: 27
Stoney,
Here is a sub setup guide that will help you setup a sub or second sub: http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3418.

Username: Memphismusician

Memphis, Tennessee USA

Stoney,

Have a look at the SV Subwoofer line-up. The price range is line with Hsu subwoofers and performance is about equal, maybe a little better, depending on your room, test equipment and most importantly your ears. The SVSubwoofer is bought online at svsubwoofers.com and gives you a 45 day MBG (money back guarantee). I own a PCi 20-39 and have nearly the same room dimensions (slightly smaller) and the SVS is more than adequate.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us