NAD T762 (multi-source/zone 2)??

Bronze Member
Username: Srkstan

Kazakhstan

Post Number: 44
Watching all the back and forth on the NAD T-series in the last couple of weeks, I decided to take the risk of buying one from an authorized dealer who promised to test it first (I am crossing my fingers that the bugs are not in this one!). I won't get it for a couple of weeks, but I am getting ready for the set-up in advance!

This has a multi-source/zone 2 feature, but I was wondering if it works with another receiver or whether one needs to hook the multi-source out into a power amp. Does anybody know? I was thinking of keeping my present receiver to play the source material from my NAD in another room. My existing receiver is a no-frills (but decent) Pioneer HT receiver (VSX-411). Can anybody guide me on this? Can I hook this Pioneer into the multi-source out of my NAD, or will I need to sell the Pioneer and get a power amp to do that?

Bronze Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 49
I'm getting a T763 and hope to do the same with my existing receiver. Hopefully, someone out there knows the answer.

Jan Vigne
Unregistered guest
You can use the existing reciever as the second zone amplifier but you will generally get better results if you can put the zone 2 pre amp outputs into a power amplifier. This can be either a dedicated power amp or the power amp section of a reciever (or integrated amp) that has inputs to allow the separate use of just the power amp section. The difference in sound quality is going to be slight for most secondary listening positions but technically the impedances are off slightly. No big deal. The more common problem people run into with a reciever as the second amp is that you will use an input (best to use tape in) that runs the signal through the pre amplifier and therefore allows too many changes to occur unknowingly to the zone two signal. The most common of these problems is too many places to adjust volume. If the new reciever allows a choice between fixed and variable output you will have to decide which suits your set up better and adjust volume at only one location. This problem can be made worse if you then have volume control for the second zone location also. Using the reciever would also allow someone to change the input selection to an unused source or a source that could come on with far more volume than expected or, in some cases, even have the speakers switched off. If none of these potential headache makers are existent in your system, the reciever should work OK.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us