Bookshelf w/sub vs. dj monitors w/sub

Username: Vprtech

Post Number: 3
I'm going to try to narrow this down a bit . I want a good sound system for my shop area . With all of the obstructions (benches, tool boxes, etc) , I'm steering away from floor standing speakers . I need something that can play electronic to alt rock , so it has to have some punch , but I usually don't listen at ear bleeding volume levels . I would like a warm smooth sound , but detailed , just not overly brite . Also keep in mind that the work area is like an echo chamber , with cinder block walls , a concrete floor and a twenty foot roof. So , I'm thinking :

1- Two dj type monitor speakers bolted to the wall , with a seperate sub .

or

2- Two bookshelf type speakers bolted to the wall , with a seperate sub .

The only reason I even enclude the dj monitors , is that I know they can play loud if necessary . However , I have no idea if there are any out there that have good sound quality . Do you think I am better off with a set of bookshelf's ?

Budget $400 - $600 , like the idea of used or b - stock .

Any advice would be appretiated .

Post Number: 4
bump

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4233
Try the Alegria Audio Emmas, $499 b-stock if they still have any left. If you put them say 1-2 feet from the wall, you very well might NOT need a subwoofer especially if you have a healthy amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Raj_p

Evanston, IL USA

Post Number: 57
Edster speaks truth. I got rid of my Onix ULW-10 after I got my Emmas.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the reply . One more question , how far apart do you suppose I can seperate these speakers . Would fifteen feet be too much ?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 970
It depends on how far you are from the speakers. In most cases, you should try to create a triangle with the speakers and yourself at the points. At fifteen feet you should toe in the speakers as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us