Bi-amping problems with Rotel 1070's

Username: Mehdit

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Hi, I hope someone out there may be able to help me. I am trying to bi-amp my KEF iQ9's using two Rotel 1070 power amps and a Rotel 1070 pre amp. Either amp works great in a bi-wire configuration, but when I hook up both amps to the two sets of pre-amp outputs, I get a loud popping/buzzing sound as soon as I turn on thye amps with no input. Am I doing anything fundamentally wrong? I have checked out all of the interconnects and speakerconnects to ensure I have nothing crossed over and am at a loss as to what to try next
thanks for any suggestions you may have

Mehdi

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 86
Run the left to one amp and the right to the other amp. Bi-wire/Bi-amp and bridged are all different. What is it you want to do?

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3085
Andrew, if I read correctly, you are using two pre-outs to two amps, yes?
This is correct.
Are you driving the two speakers as left and right(one amp left, one right).

are you splitting the amps high and low?
Did you remove the binding strips from the speakers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3086
And what kind of project for goodness sakes requires TWO 1070 amps? (I like it).

Username: Mehdit

San Diego, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Hi Nuck, thanks for taking an interest in my problem. My plan was to use one amp to power left and right speaker bass and the other for left and right midrange/tweeter. There are two outputs on the 1070 pre-amp so I am hooking up output 1 L and R to the bass amp and output 2 L and R to the midrange/tweeter. The Kef manual shows bi-amp configuration and so does the rotel manual, so I am pulling my hair out trying to make this work.
PS why two 1070's? - I was originally budgeting a 1080, then read a little about bi-amping and it seemed like an interesting concept (though less so now!!!!)

Username: Theclem54

Queensland Australia

Post Number: 2
you'll need four amps for a bi-amped stereo system, active crossovers for low and mid+high and then a passive crossover to split the mid and high after the amp...

I don't understand what your trying to do, sounds like a mono system with bi-amping in which case you only need one 2 or 3-way speaker, you should find a pre-amp to add the signals and give one output rather than put two outputs into the amps imo...

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm, this is a fairly intensive article on bi-amping which my help you to understand...

basically with two amps I'd go left and right, one channel through each amp, to bi-amp you'll need four amps (a quarter of the power of what your using now will give the same effective power as single amping), two amps per channel, one for the woofer and one for the mid+tweeter.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3276
2 amps left and right, mono bridge each amp, and biwire high and low.

Username: Basstrap

StellenboschSouth Africa

Post Number: 4
Hi Andrew,

Have you solved your problem yet? Set-up seems fine to me. Horizontal bi-amping.

Have you subsequently tried vertical bi-amping with amp 1 to left and amp 2 to right speaker with the "L" powering the highs and "R" the lows? Or have you swopped out the two 1070s for the 1080.....??

I will be trying the same experiment this weekend with a friend, and hearing popping/buzzing sounds is not a good thing.

Username: Jwnorris1

Post Number: 1
I agree with Nuck, dedicate one amp for each speaker left and right, mono bridge each amp, and biwire high and low. I did the same, bridged, bi-amped and bi-wired hi and low with Adcom GFA 555s, works great.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1848
It seems to me that you usually bridge for power, rarely for quality.

Bronze Member
Username: Galileo7

Post Number: 28
True
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us