Musical subwoofer ?

Username: Fitdynamite

Post Number: 1
Got a Velodyne VRP-1000 5 days ago after listening to my friend's recommendation on Velodyne subwoofer, and after reading tons of good reviews on it....

Man, I am so disappointed. The sound produced from this sub is just bad - Boommy, Muddy, not punchy. In fact, I can't even believe that it is far worse than my 5" yamaha computer subwoofer. First I thought it was about sub placement and x-over thing, so I moved it around the room, adjusting x-over, volume. No improvement. Finally I came to conclusion - I need throw away this and get a new one.

OK, this sub will be used only for music. It will be mated with NHT classic 2 connecting to speaker-level output from my integrated amp. The room size is about 13x16. I live in an apartment so I don't need a very high power one. I just want something that can produce clean, musical, tight and match with my front speaker. I want to hear a quality, punchy drum from the sub - not a boomy bass note that makes my high totally muddy.

Any recommendation? I read through old threads and it seems like Hsu VTF-3, and Martin Logan Dynamo seems to be a good one. However I don't want to spend that much money unless there is really nothing else available.

How about cheaper model Yamaha SW225? Or Mirage Omni S-8 ? I found it 's on sale for like $200 shipped. Is it worth it ? How about Hsu VTF-2, or STF-2 ?

Thanks for reading.

BTW. Can anybody tell me why people gave a good review on VRP-1000 ? You can read it here : http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/92859/originURLEncoded/http%253A%252F%252Fww w.circuitcity.com%252Frpsm%252FcatOid%252F-12950%252FN%252F0%252B20012898%252B20 012950%252B428%252Flink%252Fref%252Frpem%252Fccd%252Fcategorylist.do/rpem/ccd/pr oductDetailReview.do#tabs

Bronze Member
Username: Torchum

Post Number: 19
Hi there, my words are not worth much a s I am still trying to figure out my system with a sub but I can tell you this, give your sub some break in time. Mine (Swan Sub10) upon opening sounded like a bag of wet crap being played like a whiskey jug....seriously. After a very short time it improved but only after 250+ hrs or so hours did it relax and tighten to a pretty decent sound for both movies and music. (I'm all about music)
Velodyne is a very reputable name in subs, give it a week or so with some exercise, then report back as to your happiness or need for sale. Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4228
stay away from Yamaha subs, they are worse than Velodyne's worst.

The Mirage S8 is awesome for $200 if that's your limit, in fact if you are mainly interested in music I'd get a stereo pair of them for $400 and put them next to your mains. Hsu of course is excellent too, the VTF series especially.

Post Number: 2
Thanks a lot for the replies.

I have been using it for 6 days (5 hrs+ each day) and I can see no improvement on sound quality. Even if it performs at its best I just don't think it will be good enough for me to keep it.

I am not good in english so I don't know how to explain my experience with this sub - it does not punch (OK, it does punch a little bit, but that's worse than my $100 computer subwoofer), so I tried to increase the volume to make it punch harder. Result ? now it plays low note very very very loudly, make my high muddy.... Do you understand what I mean ?

I have Paradigm PS-1000 back at my home. If the VRP-1000 can perform at 50% of what I heard from PS-1000 I will keep it but It's not! I paid like $270 for this and it's worse than my computer subwoofer. I'm really upset. It will be going to eBay right after I got a new one.

Edster, how would you decide between 2 S8 and one VTF-2 ? I don't play it loud because I live in an apartment so we are talking only about sound quality here. (I assume 2 S8 will be able to play very loud ?)

BTW. How about Martin Logan Dynamo ? Is it worth to pay extra 100 ?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4230
I would get the VTF-2 if this were an HT setup because it will go deeper and louder than an S8.

For music you don't need the sub to go that deep, speed and accuracy is more important and for those qualities the S8 should be plenty adequate.

Having 2 of them should balance out the bass very well so that you won't need to turn the volume up very much. Also having them right next to your mains will allow them to blend in more seamlessly.

I haven't heard the ML subs, sorry. I think Gavin is the one you should ask about those.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1224
I have not had a whole lot of experience with mirage subwoofers, but the MartinLogan Dynamo is a fantastic subwoofer.

It would do you well to check it out just to see what the extra money would purchase you in performance. If you feel it is worth it, then by all means if you can afford it, go for it :-)

that is my advice. Check out subwoofers above your price range, as well as below it. Be sure you know what bass REALLY should sound like, and by this I mean not a HT demo. Listen to a demo of a well recorded CD, such as Diana Krall's "Love Scenes" (jazz) on a well set up and executed high end system. Bass should sound tight and deep, but not artificial. If no deep bass is present, you shouldn't hear it.

Once you hear it, you will know what I am talking about :-)

Post Number: 3
Thanks a lot your guys.

I totally forgot to update this thread !

I really hestitated to choose between 2 S8, VTF-2 and Dynamo. After all the thinking, I ended up purchasing Dynamo. I thought at that time I better paid more and get thing that ppl. (in this board) approved that it's good. I don't want to make mistake again like I was with the Velodyne. The VTF-2 seems great too but it is (a lot) bigger than a Dynamo.

Result ? I am extremely pleased. For a musical purpose I think it's probably better than Paradigm PS1000 back at my home which tends to make front sounds muddy (It's probably about placement).

After listening for 3weeks+, this Dynamo, is a real subwoofer, go deep, punch pretty hard, with a proper placement it sounds unbelieveable especially for its size. It blends extremely well with the NHT. This thing definitely is not a stupid POS that can generate low freq. sound.

One lesson learnt - DO NOT BUY low serie Velodyne subwoofer. (OK, the higher models are great, but not the lower model)

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1230
MartinLogan products are the real deal. you get what you pay for. that goes for speakers and subs.

In the case of the Dynamo, I feel that it is one of the best values in the entire ML lineup. you won't be disappointed :-P

glad you went for the gold.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us