Dolby Digital / DTS

Bronze Member
Username: Edunham

Post Number: 19
I have an Onkyo TX-NR801 receiver hooked up to a Sony DVD player with an optical cable. I cannot get a DVD to play in Dolby Digital mode. It treats the DVD as anolog. I also can't get any signal to come out when I change to DTS (in a DTS format disc). Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Does my unit need serviced for some reason? Confused.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8700
Have you read the owner's manual? That's always a good place to begin troubleshooting.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1615
Might also be a setup in the DVD player menus. There is usually a place to enable the encoded outputs such as DD and DTS. Or had you been uisng that player awithout problems on another receiver?

I'd also unplug the analog R+L audio cables between the DVD player and receiver, for now, to make sure that any sound comes from the optical connection. If unplugging the (RCA) audio interconnects takes away the sound, then it's likely a question of assigning the optical input to the DVD selection on the receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Edunham

Post Number: 20
It was a setting in the DVD player. I thought the receiver was not seeing the signal correctly, but it was the DVD player not sending the signal. It's all good now.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1616
Good stuff.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us