Thanks for the recommendations: System Finished

Bronze Member
Username: Sackohammers

Post Number: 54
Well, its about time I posted my results of research and recommendations from folks on here.

Thanks to Edster, Jan (even though our exchanges were heated), PG, and all of the other folks that chimed in.

I was a complete newbie when I stared, I'm still a newb, but learning every day.

Lineup
Receiver:
Harmon Kardon AVR-635
www.harmonkardon.com
~$500

Speakers
Ascend Acoustics 33-24
340 SE mains, 340 SE center, 170 SE rears, STF-3 subwoofer
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340mhts.html
~$2,000 for speakers, stands, mounts, speaker wire

Front Speaker Stands:
Ascend Acoustics
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/spkstnds/pedstlcmt340.html

Rear Speaker Mounting Brackets:
OmniMount 20
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/brackets/omni_series20.html

Speaker Wire:
Ascend Acoustics 11 AWG
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/cable/speakcable.html

Banana Plugs:
GLS Locking Banana Plugs - Gold Plated
http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BL2 0&Category_Code=AHH_Banana
~$50

DVD Player
Pioneer 588A-S
2076_15020669_236572701%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/ detail/0,,2076_15020669_236572701,00.html
~$140

Power Conditioner
Monster PowerCenter HTS 3500 MKII
http://www.monstercable.com/power/productPagePower.asp?pin=1021&LastPage=Referen ce%20Power
~$145 on Amazon

Various Cables and Connectors
Subwoofer cable, optical audio cables, etc
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/
www.accessories4less.com/
www.ebay.com
www.homedepot.com

A/V Rack (I should probably post this in a DIY section)
Archetype 5.0
http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/
~$100
Instead of buying this from Salamander I made it from scratch about two weekends ago.
I got almost everything from Home Depot (threaded legs, nuts, bolts, washers.
For the wood I went to Lowes. I got some 24" X 48" X 3/4" solid Ponderosa Pine (edge glued)
I bought 3 boards, cut them in half. Ran a router around the edges for a nice edge. Sanded it all down, stained with a cherry stain, and put a few coats of polyurethane over the stain. I saved a bunch of money doing it this way, had a lot of fun, and my shelves are solid wood instead of particle board.

Ed, the Ascend speakers sound awesome. I am still tweaking and playing and learning. So much. The H/K 635 has a MILLION settings and things you can do with it... it'll make your toast for you... and the remote is insanely awesome. The STF-3 sub is WAY more than I need for my room. I could have easily went with the STF-2, but I will be happy with the STF-3 when I move to a bigger place in 8 months.

Anyway, you guys didn't steer me wrong. I absolutely love my setup and I think I did a good job with my first foray into the HT hobby.

The only three little things that I got caught on or am worried about are:
1) the omnimounts pulling out of the wall with my 170s mounted above the couch. Probably should have used drywall anchors other than what came with the mounts. Plus, it takes two ppl to mount the speaker. One to hold the speaker in place (very still without moving) while the other fumbles with the hex wrench to reall tork down on the clamping nut

2) I didn't know I needed 5.1 analog cables to listen to SACD

3) My girlfriend has a hard time figuring out the order to turn all the things on (receiver, tv, cable box, dvd). She also tends to have the remote on the wrong setting and pushes buttons thinking its going to one device, but not the other. I think I can fix this using some of the macro buttons available on the remote. Yeah, its a training issue, but I catch myself making a mistake when I'm tired too.

So, given everything, those are really minor things. This has been a great experience and without the help from you guys here I would have wasted a lot more time and ended up with a much lower quality system.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4219
You're very welcome, and glad you're loving your new toys! The HK/Ascend/Hsu combo is one of the safest bets around for a wide range of apps and tastes.

btw, have you ever tried running the system with and without the power conditioner? Just curious if you hear much difference.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1603
Congratulations! I wish you years of enjoyment!

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1030
You did really well!

2) You can just use any old cables for now and upgrade them later.

3) Look at the Logitech Harmony remotes, I have the 520 for about $70 and it's great. You set it up on a PC, you input all your equipment and away you go. It's as simple as selecting an activity, and the remote changes the TV, Receiver, source, LIGHTING, etc. all to the correct inputs and levels.

Great price on the Monster Power Centre BTW.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
Yeah, I have only been running the conditioner for a few days. There is not a discernable difference in sound quality.
Less hiss through the speakers if I have no source playing and I crank the volume way up... but that has limited value.. I had to crank it up insanely high to hear it anyway.
I'm a believer in protection though. I work in IT and have seen dozens of computers fried when plugged into power strips.... and the power supply doesn't always eat the spike either...seen it fry motherboards, hard drives, video cards, etc. So, if you have a tripplite or apc simple powerstrip you can still get hit. I felt it was worth the $145 for the Monster. I wouldn't have paid $300 for one though. Had I not gotten the Monster so cheap, I would have looked at the more inexpensive Brickwalls or expensive power strips in the $70-$100 range.
Plus, I'll admit it... it makes the AV rack look cool. More stuff with lights and an analog meter. Thats the kind of thing visitors will notice... it helps offset the utilitarian/dull look of the Harman Kardon receiver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Oh yeah, and I was watching a movie last night... House of the Flying Daggers.
The high end was great. I cannot recall which scene it was, but there was a lot of really high frequency stuff going on, and the reproduction was wonderful. I'd never heard anything like it. It was loud, very crisp and distinguished. I got a smile, looked at my girlfriend, and she nodded and said "nice".
The bass...well, I already said the STF-3 was too big. I'm not exaggerating, it does sound like an earthquake. During the EZ setup when that sub goes through its range, things start shaking in the room and I know the nextdoor neighbors can hear it. During movies with a lot of low range, you can feel it all over... from my rear on the couch to deep in my chest. Its turned down to less than half volume

I am still trying to figure out how to tune it.
The EZ setup always puts my speakers to large. I think when this happens, I can hear distortion in the low end when things get loud. So, I change them to small and set the crossover to 100. When I do this it doesn't sound as big, but the sound is better.
So, anyone know what might be a good configuration to try?
My mains and center are about 8 feet from my couch. The sub is about 10 feet. The Rears are only 4 and 6 feet from the listening position.
Seems like the crossover on the receiver can only be adjusted in increments of 20. So I can set it at 60,80,100,120.
I haven't even looked at the "Bass Management" section yet.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1032
Go with 80 all around for starters.

I noticed with the House of Flying Daggers DVD the Japanese DTS track sounded noticably better than the English version. The scene with all the drums and the rocks or whatever sounds amazing if you have the channel levels perfect. The EZSET was way off in my set-up, find an SPL meter and set them that way, you won't regret it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Ok, I will change to 80 and see what I get.
Yeah, I hear you on the Japanese sound track. Plus, the dubbed english was just... bad. I tried watching it with the dubbed english and the subtitles at the same time and the words used in the subtitle were better chosen than the ones in the dubbed audio track.... plus you're right about that scene with the beans hitting the drums.
And the high pitched sword clashing.

Wow, now I'm going to be a serious Home Theater nerd. Was wondering if I really needed one. Ok, one more thing to buy that I'll use once or twice and then gather dust. What do you recommend for an SPL meter? Brand, model, price, where to buy? How to use?

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1033
An Analog SPL meter is more exact, but digital is fine as well. Radio Shack for between $50-$60.

I have a friend who owns one, so I just borrow his whenever moving the system around or fitting in a new piece such as a sub, but that's the easy to set by ear IMO.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1613
I used the AVIA calibration DVD to setup my sub, and the level is way low, below the first line (1/6th). At this low level, it blends in.

The stone bouncing off the drums scene is amazing. Very convincing drum sound to me.

And yes, start with 80 cutoff.

Bronze Member
Username: Patnshan

Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 30
AN analog SPL meter is not more exact! Where did you get that mis-info?

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1096
Not to be nit picky, but I'm pretty sure the House of Flying Daggers is Chinese.

Hammers if the house is shaking you may have the volume on that sub set too high. If you like it and it works great. Otherwise you may want to turn it down a bit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
I will look into that digital meter from Radio Shack. Seems to get a lot of press when you google for "SPL Meter". I also have the AVIA DVD coming, as well as the DTS Surround #9 demo disk.
Yeah I will try the 80 crossover.
hehe, Yeah, I will certainly turn down the volume on the subwoofer... as soon as I stop cheesing.
You're right, it is Chinese.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us