Noobie with kenwood vr-407

Username: Spawn_2_extreme

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Heres the isssue, I have my kenwood receiver hooked up to my 5.1 surround sound speakers, (no help from the French manaul). Main issue is I can only get the sound from my speakers if I am listening in to the radio, I want to get sound out of my dvd player too, I am getting sound from my T.V and not my speakers. The DVD player I use is a Regen DVD-1000 (cheap $20 one). the dvd player hooks up like a game console, with the red, yellow and white wires going at the back of the T.V and same 3 colors at the back of the dvd player. The DVD player also has coaxial and 3 other sets of connections called Cr,Cb and Y also has S video. I also have another DVD player which came with my whole system which is a Kenwood dv-402, only thing it has thats different is a Digital (PCM/Bit Optical. Another thing is, is its possible to get sound from my speakers when watching cable TV, its not a big deal, but I really want to get surround sound when watching my DVD's or burnt movies. TV speakers aren't that great. The reason I use the Regent rather then the kenwood is cuz, the regent allows vcds and svcds.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1601
You need to connect the coax from the DVD to the receiver, and likely assign that input to the DVD input on the receiver in a setup menu.

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
When connecting the coax, should I unplug the red and white wires, or leave them in. Also when at the back of my receiver, I am not sure where to plug the coax wire, The back of the receiver is color coordinated, red, white, yellow, orange, green.

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
I'll try to find a pic of the back of my receiver.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1606
You can have the white and red analog connectors in, but for now disconnect them to make sure that when you get sound, it's from the coax.

The coax input on the receiver might be by itself, possibly plain black, sometimes green.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1607
It might also be located right next to the optical input(s).

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
I went behind my receiver once more, and looked for the coax, I found that it said coax for video 2, I plugged the coax into the receiver and then into the dvd player, but no sound was coming out. The color was orange, I also found another orange connector that just said Dvd, I plugged the coax into that one and nothing happened. (no sound) I set the receiver to video 2 and cd/dvd 6 channel and still couldn't get sound from any of my speakers. The receiver says it supports Dolby Digital and DTS.

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 60
I read that kenwood receivers only go to

20-15 for the freq that kinda sucks for the highs

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1611
Mark,

There might be a menu in which you have to assign which sound source to use for each input (coax, optical or analog, where anolog would be the default.

If you have a PDF of your french manual, I can read it for you.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1612
Note that I'll be gone from the forum for a week or so starting this weekend, Mondat at the lastest. I am moving into another house, and that means a lot of work.

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
I was able to get sound from my centre speaker, but not from the other 4. subwoofer isn't working either when using a dvd. In the menu settings I get an option to enable Dolby Digital 6 channel, but the rest of the speakers aren't giving any sound. I found the english manual, and I still am confused on the setting up, I'll send a link to the english manual to see if you can make some sense of it. You'll have to copy and paste the link in a new window for the link to work, don't click on it.
ftp://inform.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/vr407.pdf
The manual for the remote is also available, just in case you need it.
ftp://inform.kenwoodusa.com/Manuals/rcr0609.pdf

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1623
I think your setting to Dolby Digital 6 channel means the "RCS plug" analog inputs, as you would connect an SACD or DVDA player. Don't connect as on the right side of page 9.

Connect the coax as in left side of page 10.
Press the "input mode" key until you get sound (page 10).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us