Ghetto rig (8 speakers, 4 outputs) Help

Username: Pengh

Post Number: 3
My reciver has 4 speaker outs set A/B. Is there something I could buy that would allow me to hook up 4 more speakers to my existing reciver? (8 speakers all together) Hopefully something that's not to expensive. Or could I just Rig all 8 speakers to the 4 outs?

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 46
You could probably connect two speakers in series for each pair of speaker terminals (+ and -), Keep in mind though that the power delivered to each speaker will be cut in half. Also, be sure that your receiver can handle the load. If your speakers are 8 ohms, then the resistance will be 16 ohms when you have two speakers in series.

The other option is to wire two speakers in parallel for each pair of speaker terminals. The net effect will be that the resistance will be cut in half, so again, be sure that your receiver has the ability to handle a load with that low of impedance (i.e. check the specs).

Here's some info on series/parallel wiring. I'm sure there are plenty of others if you search:

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1594
The first question is why do you want to do this?

If you are looking for louder, it won't work.

If you are looking to spread the sound out evenly in a large space (forgetting about a soundstage and anything like that), then connect 2 speakers in series (from receiver black (-) to first speaker black (-), from first speaker red (+) to second speaker black (-), from second speaker red (+) to receiver red (+). The impedence is doubled. Now wire up 4 sets like that for a total of 8 speakers. Then wire two sets in parallel to each channel (this halves the impedence, resulting in the same impedence as a single speaker); this is probably the same as connecting one to A and the other to B. Works best with all identical speakers. This is the same as "Series/Parallel Wiring" in Nathan's link; I should have checked that before I wrote anything.

Username: Pengh

Post Number: 4
"If you are looking to spread the sound out evenly in a large space (forgetting about a soundstage and anything like that), then connect 2 speakers in series (from receiver black (-) to first speaker black (-), from first speaker red (+) to second speaker black (-), from second speaker red (+) to receiver red (+). The impedence is doubled. Now wire up 4 sets like that for a total of 8 speakers"

After doing this It seems that I would run out of speaker outputs, is the next part necessary?

"Then wire two sets in parallel to each channel (this halves the impedence, resulting in the same impedence as a single speaker); this is probably the same as connecting one to A and the other to B. Works best with all identical speakers. This is the same as "Series/Parallel Wiring" in Nathan's link; I should have checked that before I wrote anything."

Would I have to do this part? I only have 4 speakers outs.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1595
Wiring 8 speakers in series by pairs gives you 4 pairs. I was advising to wires two pairs (4 speakers) to the same receiver output for a single channel, thus connecting 4 speakers to the R channel. Do the same for the left channel for a total of 8 speakers.

It's likely that you A and B posts simply connect together inside the receiver. Then using both A and B posts accomplishes the same thing by connecting an in-series pair of speakers to each of the 4 posts, for a total of 8 speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 57
Speak selecter i'm running 6 adn 8 ohms speaker prolly isnt good but meh dosnt seem to voer heat or get too hot

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 58
http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/category.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&ca tegory=SpeakerSelector&pagenum=1&sort=1
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us