Affordable DVD-A SACD player?

Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 3
I need a new dvd player, and because I just recently plopped $2500 on speakers by paradigm, I figure, satellite radio and a ipod arnt "high quality" enough to listen really the speakers. Also, my dvd player recently dediced to stop working :-(. I dont care about hdmi, I will be running component video anyways. I am currently running componet audio (i think thats waht its called) and am not really interested in upgrading to optical. Could you guys through some ideas my way?

Thanks in advanced, Jeff

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3382
What's your definition of affordable?

Post Number: 4
Under $200cad (with 15% tax)

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1486
Jeffrey: Please - oh, please - do yourself a favor and find a way to audition one of the brand-new Cambridge Audio DVD-87 players. You can get it from Audio Advisor online for $269.

I've had mine a few weeks now, and I was simply blown away by the sound quality. And the picture - even on my old TV with only composite hook-up - is crisp and clean.

The 87 does not have HDMI - which I don't want or need, anyway.

Art and some others may want you to hold out for a more expensive unit - but I would not trade this one in for anything less than a player that simply knocked me on my behind, sound-wise.

I have mine hooked to a NAD 763 and B&W 705 speakers - which had sounded only so-so with my top-of-line Yamaha player. When the Yammie started to stutter - well - my search for a replacement paid off. For me, anyway. . .

My wife and I keep the 87 spinning for at least four hours a day - and it has never even hiccuped!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3383
I'm sorry that Larry felt the need to speak for me (and some others) since I agree with him. The Cambridge that he recommends is one that I believe I recommended to him. It's still a bit over your budget but well worth the extra few nickels. Good luck.

Larry....just giving you a hard time....

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1487
Art: Good - Mer says I often need some in-face pies from others! (double grin)

And no, I hope I was not trying to speak for you - just hinting to Jeffrey that you know much more than I do about such things. . .really.

And I still thank you for pointing me toward the Cambridge unit, BTW!

Post Number: 5
Wow, you guys seem to have fun around these fourms, I hope I can join in soon. Anyways, back to the topic. I have herd amazing things about the Cambridge, however, I am not it the position where I can afford it. I have been looking at 2 models latly, the Samsung DVD-HD950, and the Pioneer DV-585A-K. What you guys think about these?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1488
One more thing - if you paid that much for speakers, don't short yourself with a bargain-basement CD player. You will be very, very sorry. I know from personal experience - I once bought a JVC. Ouch.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1489
Jeff - I defer to Art here - I've heard good-bad things about the Samsung - but have no personal opinion. Sorry. . .

And yes - we DO have a great time on the Forum. There are many very experienced people here: Art, John A, Jan, Rick, My Rantz, Sem, Don RX-1, 2 Cents, John S. - the list goes on and on. Please stop by and chat. I've learned a LOT from these folk!

Post Number: 6
Well, anything is a upgrade right now. Currently I am running a apex dvd player that throughs tantrums during movies worse than a 4 year old. Best 2 examples:
1) it likes to use spanish subtitles, and turns them on randomly
2) it decideds it doesnt like my choce in films, and alwayse stops in the best parts, than ignors me completly, only the power button on the unit works

also, keep in mind, my only source of music right now is satellite radio and a 20gb ipod. I wont be buying any dvda or sacd disc for the next bit or so, and as far as cds go, I put them on my ipod. Is the samsung or the pioneer really that bad?

Post Number: 7
I believe the pioneer model I am thinking of is the dv-588-a not the 585, from waht I gather, the 588 is american, 585 is euoropean. Am I correct? I can get this player for $119 instore on sale, and just so you know dont bother telling me online prices, I want this by the weekend so online isnt a good option.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3384
The Samsung has been plagued with QC issues and I have heard that the Pioneer is solid, but it is not in the same league with the Cambridge.

Larry is one of the people on this forum who make it worthwhile to continue my membership here as he is a true gentleman. I agree with him that you are welcome here and I hope you get the info you need. I wouldn't put anything less than the Cambridge into your system or you are not going to get your moneys worth out of your speakers. Just my opinion.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1494
Art: (blush) high praise from you,my friend. Though not worthy, I appreciate it. . .

Jeff: it seems to me that you are in quite a tough spot. From what I read you want music and video - but don't really have music sources that come anywhere near the level of your speakers. Hmm. . .And you're not going to get anything "good" by the weekend unless you have better stores than I have here in Swampville! (grin)

I'm quite bothered by your satellite radio music source, as I think you're trying to build a system that goes way, way beyond that.

My other concern regarding your rather expensive speaker setup is - what kind of music do you listen to? And how serious are you about HIGH fidelity?

Get the Pioneer for now - but let us know when you are ready to make a step upward. I learned the very hard way that the source of your music is too important to skimp on!

Good luck, sir - and we all wish you Great Music!

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2985
Jeff, I havnt shopped in Halifax for a while, but there was one store down on Barrett(I think) that carried quite a few used pieces.
Have you thought about that route as well?

Username: Mikemv1977

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 5
Ok, seriously, if u spent 2500$ on Paradigm speakers, what in gods name are you thinking not wanting to buy a decent dvd player. I have a Panasonic S49 that i bought for 150$. It plays DVD-audio, MP3, DivX, and some of the best dvd picture quality I have seen. Mainly bcuz this is the second Panasonic dvd player i have owned.
Now what kind of receiver you got running. Cuz I work in electronics and unless your running digital audio thru your system, your truly not getting your money's worth out of your speakers. A true high def audio signal runs at 192khz depending of course whether you run your audio using coaxial digital or just RCA. If your using coax, your signal is processed to its true signal format the way music and movies on dvd and cd r meant to be heard. If your running RCA, your not getting much for signal strength and yoour speakers are not giving you the sound reproduction you paid for.
I would be interested in knowing what you got for equipment, cuz then you can get a better idea of what it is you can do and how to take advantage of buying a decent player and so on. Let me know. Ttyl.

Post Number: 8
Thats alot to think about. In all honesty, I really like the panasonic players, and I can get a good deal on them cause the store I work at sells them. The reason I was straying away from them was the lack of sacd (most jazz and classical comes on sacd from what I can figure). As far as my musical tastes, lots of jazz, lots of light rock, some country, some blues, some hard rock, and a few others. As far as my reciever, its a sony, and yes I am currently running digital coax for my current dvd player. My current reciever will be replaced within the next year, since it no longer matchs the speakers (quality wise). As much as I hate to admit it, Im not going to be happy with a $100 dvd player, you guys are right. Like I mentioned, panasonic is great (I sell lots of there stuff), however there decision to not support sacd is the deal killer. I am going to make a few calls at all the stores here in hali and get some prices on cambridge. Im trying to sell my old speaker set, so with that extra money, I should be able to afford a nicer dvd player. Im going to stick with running digital coax on dvd, and not go to opticle, cause I have a koss digital coax cable thats super heavy guage. The other dvd player im looking at is a yamaha, I forget the model but I think its there top-o-line model ($299 in store), what you guys think?

Post Number: 9
So, from what I figure, those speakers brought me into a whole new catagory of equipment. If I buy a cheap dvd player, and keep a cheap reciever, than I am wasting money on the entire system. Like I mentioned, I have a middle end 3 year old sony reciever, and this will be upgraded within a year. Its not that I dont believe what you guys are telling me, its just that I dont want to believe it cause it costs me more money. I look at it from this point of view, I spent alot of money in speakers, now I cant afford to buy a nice dvd player. That is wrong, I need to look at it like I spend alot of money on speakers, I cant afford to scrimp on a dvd player (espically for dvd-audio and sacd). Now, I dont want to get into a debate weather dvda or sacd is better, however I understand most rock is on dvda and most jazz and classical is on sacd. Because I like both relms of music, I need both. Now, as far as video quality goes, its not that big of a deal, beucause I have a 27" tube tv. I will probably invest in a dvdplayer with hdmi the same time I get a new tv (a few years away). So, now that im in a new price range, what are some good models to look at.

Post Number: 10
one more quick question, what are some good canadian online retaillers for this stuff? Since im spending the $$, I might put the rush aside and get quality for a good price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Its offical, I hate you all (:P). So, now that I came out of my daze, and realized that if I want my moneys worth for teh speakers, I need my high quality source (lets pretend i have a good quality reciever/amp). Would you guys say that $500 on a dvd player is over kill for my system, im looking at cambridge, denon, nad and the likes. I can manage the cost, but I need to know is it right for my system?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1498
Jeff: This time around I will NOT try to speak for Art! (double grin)

After reading all of the above - I stand on my original position: get the Cambridge Audio DVD-87. You won't like Redbook playback on the lower-line Denons, and if you buy a Yamaha you will most likely be disappointed (as I was).

OK, Art - your turn, sir. (triple grin)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
what do you mean bo redbook playback? Is $500 low end for denon? Is yamaha actually low end? The world is spinning so fast!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Heres a little more info on my deffinition of hi-fi audio. I find the audio that comes out of my ipod dock (line out) to be amazing quality considering. I find the quality of my satellite radio however, somewhat lacking. When I auditioned these speakers, they were with cds on a regular cd player (i believe opticle however). I found this to be a absolutyly amazing sound, better than I have ever herd. Even though I want a dvda sacd player, I wont be buying any discs till fall probably. I find the audio that comes out of my apex digital coax out (for movies) not excellent, but very good. From what you have all told me, Im assuming that if I buy even a $100 dollar dvd player, with a 24bit audio dac (I dont know what that means), I will be blown away. Weather that dvd player be pioneer, yamaha, or sony. I am also believing that no matter what dvd player I get, I will be shocked by the quality of dvda and sacds.
Am I correct here?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1502
Jeff: one chicken-step at a time.

"Redbook" is a standard set up for "regular" CDs - thus, any CD you buy other than DVDA or SACD will be "Redbook." So - don't sweat the labels, it just means "ordinary" CDs.

$500 is very low-end for Denon. If you buy one of their units you want to get at least the 3910 - look for the price Online and you'll see what I mean.

Yamaha - sigh - well, many people are quite happy with their products. Not bad, not great - what can I say? It's in the ear of the beholder. . .

I think, sir, what you need to do is to find a store where there are some folk who really know what they're talking about - very hard to do, for sure. Then take their recommendations with three grains of salt and, as our friend Jan V might say (OK, I might as well put words in his mouth, too! GRIN) "stop and think. Think. Think. Listen. Think. Listen. Think." Yah gets duh pitchur, Jeff? Don't make ANY hasty decisions. I did - too many times!!!!!

And forget about the optical hookups - ain't better, ain't worth the money. Period.

No, you won't be "blown away" by ANY $100 DVD player. Trust me on this. . .

I'm just afraid, sir, that you may be going at this upgrade project without either a goal or a solid idea of just what it is that you want to hear. This is not meant as criticism, but as concern for your musical happiiness - or lack thereof.

Personally, if I had more than $2,000 sunk into speakers (which I assume you have properly auditioned and found to be great?) I'd be sure to dump some pretty good sound INTO them! That means a solid amp or receiver and a CD/DVD player that is way above "average." Just my very humble opinion.

Again, though, Jeff - it is your music, your ears, your bank account and your final decision. I think I can speak for all the Olde Dawgs on this Forum in wishing you the very best - sound, that is!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thanks guys, I know what I need to do, and unfortunitly, I wont be able to do it by the weekend. I need to invest some money into a good dvd player. Since you say (and I agree) denon is good, but at $500, low end, that leaves me with a cambridge audio dvd89 for $450. hopefully I can get a good deal with this product. If im really lucky, the store will have teh older dvd87 in and I can get that at a clearance price, since hdmi is of no use to me. I have however herd that the video on the dvd89 is somewhat to be disired, but it will beat the hell out of myne. And yes, I auditioned these speakers next to energy, and klipsch, i was immensily impressed. Now I just need to hope that someone buys my peak audio 5.1 speakers for $250, than I can get the dvd89 and have some more pocket money. Thanks guys, your all a great help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Just so I dont keep you all in suspense. Ive made my decision. I am going to this week purchase the yamaha dvds657. However, around christmas, when I have some more cash, I will purchase the cambridge audio dv89. I would love to purchase the dv89 right now, however just last week I spent $2500 on speakers and didnt plan on buying a new dvd player. For now, the yamaha will be perfect, later, I will upgrade. My only question is, how the heck do I hook it up? Can I use the digital coax for all the audio? Or is it a good idea for me to use (as well as the digital coax) the 5.1 outputs. I was told by a salesmen that dvda and sacd are not digital outs because they are processed in the actuall dvd player. Unlike cd audio, or teh audio from a video dvd. From what I figure, I would be best to run 5.1 analog outs to my reciever for dvd-audio and sacd, and run digital coax for cds and movies. Does this make sense to you guys?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1503
Jeff: A lotta words from you - so let me take things a step at a time.

First, the DVD87 Cambridge is not an "old" model - just a brand new model without HDMI - same as the DVD89 otherwise.

The Yamaha looks like a good machine - though I'm a bit turned off by its lack of real bass management for SACD playback. The owners' manual only says something about 120Hz rolloff - and no way to change it up or down. That means that if you set all your speakers to "small" you'll be sending the low notes under 120Hz to the subwoofer. Unless you have a great subwoofer, that's fairly high on the frequency scale for a sub to operate. Most of the folk I know set the crossover freq. at 80 or 40.
If your new speakers are floorstanders, I'd prefer that you set the fronts to Large, and the surrounds to small.

If you buy the Yammie now, it would be a waste of money to get a Cambridge by the end of the year. Why?

Hookups. You will need individual cables for fronts, rears and sub if you have one. That sends Analog signals to your amp. And remember, SACDs can ONLY be played through your 5.1 analog output! Set up your CD player for speaker size and distance when using the analog output.

Use your coax digital cable between the player and the Digital input on your amp/receiver. Use this to play Redbood (regular) CDs and DVD playback. You switch from one to the other on your receiver or amp.

Hope that helps - but be sure to use interconnect cables that are better than the ones coming with your CD player. (you may not get 5.1 analog cables, anyway?)You don't have to spend thousands of bucks - but you do need to upgrade the el-cheapo stuff that's in the box. IMHO.

Post Number: 6
Well, in my honest opinion, if your goin to upgrade, I would say your best bet is to buy both a receiver and dvd player by the same company. Main reason behind this is adaptability. Denon has its Denon link system set up for both SACD and DVDA. From what I know about and have read about it all, it uses a firewire connection cable to make the digital signal transfer. But depending of course on just how much money you plan to spend on a new receiver is something else to consider. I own a Denon 3803 which I bought 3 yrs ago, and to this day , its one of the best investments I made. Only downside is, I dont have the current money available to run high end speakers.
I had previously owned a Pioneer Universal DVD player which did evry audio format, but I was disappointed with the picture quality. So I took it back to Futureshop. I loved the fact I could play SACD, but was upset when the pic quality sucked so bad. The Denon and dvd player worked great together, but I had to connect a set of 6 RCA connectors into the Aux inputs for the audio to work in 5.1 stereo.
Now the great disadvantage to this is that you only get audio in analog mix. Having a receiver that can do this sort of 5.1 mixing in digital is truly worth the extra bang for the buck. I've heard the difference analog to digital makes, you can hear it anytime u play a record to a cd. If your considering the Yamaha dvd player, maybe look into one of their receivers as well. I have only ever read great reviews on both what they can deliver. Check this out: http://www.yamaha.ca/av/DVD_PLayers/DVDS657B.jsp#specs
Now I do know that Yamaha is best also for DVDA and SACD. Mainly bcuz of the great expansion of DSP sound processing from their receivers. A decent low end model will set you back about 1000$ when your ready. But my advice is, "DO YOUR HOMEWORK B4 YOU BUY!!!". I wont buy anything unless I have read numerous reviews and seen what it can do in person. If u want some other reviews on DVD players, check out: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=708&page_nu mber=1
I read both home theater enthusiast and sound and vision religiously. Great for knowing what your getting b4 u get it. Let me know what you think.

Post Number: 7
Heres another review for ya, its from last year, but you can get the basic geist of it all. Yamaha knows there stuff. http://hometheatermag.com/discplayers/505yamaha/

Post Number: 8
A nice old review on a Denon system, but worth the read if your not too sure. http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/305denon/

Hope it helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Mike, from what I read, the s657 is based on the c705, and the reviews on the c705 are excellent. Ive decided on the yammi s657b because of mutiple reasons.
1) the price, its on for $169 and worth $299
2) the name, yamaha, is a solid name, there not th best, but there very good
3) I dont think I really need a $500 dvd player (at least right now). Yes, I have $2500 speakers, however, I have a $300 reciever. If I buy a $500 dvd player, I will need to spend close to $2000 on a reciever to equally match it. I am actually very interested in the yammi and denon recievers, however theres one thing that sticks out in my mind, and im very curious about it, running a seperate digital processor and amplifier. What is the cost like, how does one do it? From what I gather, Mike, you are telling me that the yammi is a pretty killer dvd player, and from the reviews I read, they tend to agree. Does that sound about right?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Since I still have your attention, for those canucks here, where (online) do you shop for a/v home theator and hi-fi equipment?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
My personal experience has had me shopping at Futureshop, A&B Sound, Audiotronics, but mainly because here in Saskatoon, SK. options r limited. I purchased my Denon on a whim, it was on sale and I just had to have it. My revious receiver was a Kenwood CR4810. It had some cool features, but I like my 7.1 sound now.
As for high end stuff, we have one store in town that sells anything from Yamaha to Rotel. The one reason I think Yamaha would be good is bcuz of the amount of experience they have in the music listening world. They are the only company to date with more then 30 different DSP settings on their receivers. My Denon only has 7 or 8 DSP sound fields. But I also know that it competes well along side THX Select receivers of the same caliber. I recently read a review where Denon, Yamaha and Integra had a show down. The latter two were THX select, but power and performance were matched between the Denon and Yamaha.
Ideally, if your just into dvd for audio performance, the Yam is your best bet. If you want raw power though, your better bet is Denon. I actually plan on purchasing a Denon dvd player, the Denon 1920. It has DVDA, SACD, MP3, DivX and so on. I just dont have 400$ to run out and buy it rite now. When I bought my Panasonic dvd player, I was also considering the Yamaha series. Mainly bcuz it had the features I wanted. But financially, I went with what i could afford and i am not disappointed. But I think your making a great decision by goin with the Yam. They are known for quality and sound. Let me know what you think.

Username: Burdman

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 1
I've been looking at a Toshiba SD 6980 that plays both SACD & DVD Audio for under $200. Any opinions?

Bronze Member
Username: Europa760

Post Number: 34
i just got a denon 2910, pretty slick

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
Ive herd good and bad about the toshiba David. My dealer showed it to me, and he said they had no problems with it at all, its rock solid. However, after readign some reviews, its apearantly prone to some glitchs. Nothing major, jsut little things that dont really affect quality. I took the yamie because from what I read, it was not prone to any issues. I hear tahts because of the quality control at the end of the assembly line, toshiba doesnt have that good of one. Now, I bought that yammie a few weeks ago and guys, its amazing. I still dont have any dvd-a or sacd disc, however, I am replacign everything on my ipod with store bought cd's (instead of ituens bought), its costly, but, is so worth it. I listen to all my analog music in 2 channel, and its insane quality (imo). When I get soem mroe cables to hook up my dvd player using 6 channel out, then I will start buying some discs. I pretty much dont use my ipod anymore. And, I only use my sat rad when im driving and when I want some backgroyund music (people over, etc). Anyways, Im not plannign on upgrading the dvd player. However, I am planning on a new cd player in the next few months. However, I am "planning" on a lot of things that wont happen, so, well se what I do buy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us