Amp to drive Paradigm s60

Username: Nsomnia

Post Number: 7
I bought the second hand Paradigm S60 instead of B&W603.
i dont know how to describe sound yet (newbie), but i really found the S60 sound so much better for me.

i'm now need advice from you all, the expert.
thinking to use them for music as well as movie,
my budget max US$1000

any thought would be very much appreciated.

cheers

Username: Byam

Post Number: 5
When you write S60 I assume you are referring to the Studio 60's. Are they the v.2 or v.3? I had a pair of Studio 40 v.3. They are a stand mount that has the same drivers as the floor standing Studio 60. I first used a NAD receiver, 75W. I then went to Musical Fidelity A3.2 integrated. The sound was very pleasing. With a 91db into 8 ohm sensitivity the Studio 60's would be easily driven by the a3.2 at 115W/8 ohm. For a little more than your $1,000 you might find the newer a3.5 used.

Post Number: 8
Hi Bill, thanks for your reply.
yes its Studio 60 v.3.
im getting cambridge audio 640, but some people said it would not be enough power to drive them.
the amp would be arrived next week and we'll see how it goes.
I actually wanted the musical fidelity, but find it just beyond my budget. hopeless trying to get second hand's one in NZ.
what is your recommendation if i would like to use them to watch movie ? how do i get surround? i supposed i need a multichannel amp?
just wondering how would i best utilise them.
cheers..

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 91
Yes, for surround sound you need a multichannel amp and 4 more speakers, two rear, one centre and a sub.

Silver Member
Username: Jamesp

Post Number: 174
nsomnia,

What about Plinius and Perreaux ? I bet you can get some good deals on them in the used market in NZ. Those are two companies that make some really good sounding gear right in your back yard.

Post Number: 9
so, if i have 2 channel amp for music, then i want surround for movie, means i have to buy another multichannel amp? (yep with 4 more speakers). doesnt seem efficient, is it ?
ok, then if i just wanna have 1 multichannel amp, then what would be a good choice that could produce good sound for music?

james, yup i aware a couple nz made good gear, but really, finding second hand's one for such gear is really hopeless, there are alot of denons, pioneers, sonys.
even second hand NAD or Cambridge is hardly around.

thanks all
very much appreciated

Post Number: 10
got the new Cambridge Audio 640A to drive the paradigm s60, the result aint great.
its smooth, abit bright, and very lack of bass.
dissapointing. :-(

Still need to find the right amp to drive this speaker.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Oakland Park, Florida USA

Post Number: 417
Hope you took the Cambridge back for a refund. A NAD amp will have a warmer sound with better bass.

Username: Byam

Post Number: 8
A strong second to nsomnia on getting a NAD. Its warmer sound matches well with the Paradigms. With the 60's 91db into 8 ohms the c352 should very easily drive them. You will notice a delightful difference between the NAD and the Cambridge.

Silver Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 147
nsomnia - since you are in NZ, see if you can get your hands on the Qinpu A-1.0X. This is a very nice integrated amplifier that does many things right and sounds very smooth but very powerful.

Its not quite as nice as the Musical Fidelity A3.5 but it is a giant step up from the Cambridge 640A which I find to sound hard, etched and thin. I prefer it to Arcam, NAD, Marantz and a few higher end pieces as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
cant get a refund, i bought this from overseas together with speaker cable.
yup, much cheaper overseas than NZ.

There might be something wrong ? cable / source? im using carnival silver.
http://www.chord.co.uk/chordweb/carnival.htm
and just tried playin them through standard dvd player.
but it sounds much better when i drive the speaker using old panasonic tape deck.
i was very impressed with these speakers when i tested them with unison research amp 80watt.

really hopeless getting a second hand amps like rotel, nad, cambridge, musical fidelity, perreaux, plinius, even NZ made gear are so expensive in here.

i might try to get NAD352, they cost similar to CA640A. but i prefer the looks of cambridge.
well, i know, its the sound that i should be looking, ..
im just a bit picky on looks as well. :-)
thanks all. really appreciate the reply.

Username: Jackthecat

Post Number: 1
hi nsomnia - I have the 640 A and I have Image 414 speakers (NZ made) and its a perfect combination. I have bass and warmth and definitely not thin at all. My room might be different to yours though.
Have to say I like the look of that qinpu though. Would like to listen to it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us