My 2.1 system

Username: Fullpana

MiamiUSA

Post Number: 2
Im a music lover, I love clarity, appreciate quality, and cant stand cheap systems trying to sell based on ads. Im a college student, on a kind of tight budget, but i'll do my best to save and make the time It took to save the money worth the investment

So here's where i need help, a surround system would not be ideal for me since my dorm living room would most likely be filled with people and dont want satellites to go crashing on the floor, so the 2.1 setup is what i have in mind. I can get an HK 3480 with the HK DVD, CD, MP3, etc player for $300 shipped altogether. Now for the speakers.
I listen to everything, from DJ tiesto to Led Zeppelin, to Manowar, and whenever situations demand, a little rap/hip-hop music.

I understand that a 2.1 system most likely requires a sub additionally to the speakers since I want speakers that perform well on mid to highs, and a dedicated separate driver for the low frequencies.
I have the ascend 170's in mind, they seem to have good reputation and enough power for my application, however I'd like the opinion from as many people as possible that have heard these before or would like to recommend me other choices.
As for a sub I have NO idea what to even think about, the dorm layout is this: http://www.fiu.edu/~housing/wwwdocs/layouts/layout_images/upt_quad.jpg.
I need to sub to penetrate al these walls if placed in the living room (the room in the middle, since the speakers most likely be.

O and btw the living room is about 20 ft long and 15 ft wide.
Another thing, an underpower receiver like the one I mentioned surely would not damage or hurt the quality of the speakers performance right? I mean, 120wx2 should be very powerful for that kind of layout.

Sorry for the uberhuge post, and remember, tight college student budget.

Thanks a lot, and nice to meet you guys.

MiamiUSA

Post Number: 3
O yea, Yet anoter thing. It's summer, im not that busy and I love challenging projects, can I make my own awesome subwoofer for less than 220 total?(Im willing to spend more than budget if its for a project)
One that matches these speakers of course, and if yes, could you direct me to the diy link that may have plans for one liket this? Or noobs like me should just stick with the pro's and not waste those 220?

MiamiUSA

Post Number: 4
Acousticmass 5 Series III subwoofers go for less than 100 on ebay, but ive never heard those, how about em?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1592
Good luck finding anyone on this forum to recommend Bose, with good reason. Stay away.

MiamiUSA

Post Number: 6
Oops, did I just contradict myself by asking about a bose and systems based on ads? my bad.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1593
LOL

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4201
The Ascend 170s would be an excellent choice, and in fact if this is more of a music than HT system I would recommend using a PAIR of smaller subs positioned under each of your speakers for maximum impact.

Depending on your budget, I would get either the Athena AS-P4000 ($150) or AS-P6000 ($250), check prices on amazon.com and audioadvisor.com --- dunno anything about DIY but if you are mechanically adept and have the proper tools I'd imagine you would probably do very well for yourself.

Where do you go to school? That looks like a very nice quad...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2979
Im a music lover, I love clarity, appreciate quality, and cant stand cheap systems trying to sell based on ads.
Acousticmass 5 Series III subwoofers go for less than 100 on ebay, but ive never heard those, how about em?

Oy vay!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4204
PS. I forgot to mention, erase all thoughts of anything made by Bose IMMEDIATELY! heh

Gold Member

Post Number: 4205
PPS. Also worth considering are these little-known speakers which do not require a subwoofer unless you're doing really extreme HT:

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Emma.htm

(the b-stock goes for $500)

MiamiUSA

Post Number: 7
OK, so no matter how I look at it im looking at a $800 system (taking the two small subs or the unknown to me emmas). I like the idea of spending a 100 more on a much better system, but only if I could audition the emmas, they seem so cool and compact...

O yea, and then theres all the cables required...how much would I be spending on this?
Or do the speakers and subs come with all their necessary cabling, that hooks up to the hk no problem?

Another question, the HK receiver im using can have a 2.2 system hooked up to it no problem right? two sub connections?

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1025
Athena AS-F2 speakers for around $200. Don't need a sub and match well with HK.

Bookshelves on stands will image better, and you can combine a Dayton subwoofer from www.partsexpress.com while keeping costs down.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4206
cables are a non-issue, go to HomeDepot and buy some 12 or 14 gauge zip extension cord for about 10 cents a foot and you're good to go.

To do 2 subs you'd have to either use a Y-splitter on the sub pre-out on the HK. Optimally, you can run speaker wire from the receiver to each sub and from each sub to each speaker...some people consider this the ideal way of blending the sub and speakers.

The less expensive system would be the Athena B1s ($120) plus a pair of Athena P4000 subs ($300) so you'd be looking at $420 plus the receiver and player.

MiamiUSA

Post Number: 8
Both the athena AS-f2 and B1 options are a little more appealing, of course i'd rather have the 170's, but even $100 less is a appealing. Im not totally convinced however on either of the two, some reviews complain about their annoying highs, while im looking for something that I can listen to almost all day with how the songs are meant to be. Im going to a circuit city or a best buy to see if I can audition these before I decide, but the last time I went to a best buy not even the guy who worked over at the speaker section knew how to operate the system or had some excuse for not playing music etc....

The 170s will be in stands or at ear level no doubt, and the pair of athena subs looks very appealing along with them, the worry on the athena speakers is that I dont want to hook them up to a receiver thats capable of driving them all the way to their maximum wattage and not their rms only, dont want some guy touching the controls and blowing them up by mistake.
Ill post again when i have auditioned them, if possible.
Thank you all.
(bose rules) :p

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 950
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-633&dotd=060906

MiamiUSA

Post Number: 9
And this dayton you guys have been talking about is that good? For that price i'll do the 2.2 setup for sure, but are those subs able to reproduce those ugly, computer generated sub signals recorded in rap music?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2982
Leo, if Tim is posting the link, then, yes it is very good for the use you have described.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2983
Not that Ed's help isn't good, just a very solid second opinion.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 951
"are those subs able to reproduce those ugly, computer generated sub signals recorded in rap music?"

I posted the Dayton as a alternative to the Athena. Good bass is expensive which is contrary to your requirements. If you want to save up for a good DIY sub you'll need to start looking at about $350 and go up from there.
You can also check with the DIYAudio.Com guys to see if anyone is selling off a good used driver. A very popular one used in the past is the Adire Tempest. A 15" driver that can run well off a 250 watt plate amp. It needs a big box but you'll not want for LF reproduction. Adire has re-licensed production of the classic Tempest 15" and Shiva 12" to Creative Sound Solutions and both are available on pre-order.
http://creativesound.ca/details.php?model=Tempest%20Classic

Bronze Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 71
I would suggest taking a good long look at Klipsch Reference line products. Their efficiency will ensure that you get up to "party" volumes without killing your receiver. They also are very clear (to the point of being bright, which would be balanced by your receiver's warmth),and extremely dynamic (good for dance/rap). The bookshelf I would consider is the RB-61 (~450/pr). If you wanted floorstanders, the RF-82 rolls in at 1000, but will hammer every other speaker listed here for your musical tastes IMO.

Bronze Member

MiamiUSA

Post Number: 11
nono I appreciate everyones help, Im just new at all this stuff and at this forum too (which is great btw), and dont know who's who. Tim, thos ugly computer generated sounds are only for those few occasional moments, im heading to best buy right now, im just confused with all the options i have. Also, another question guys, for this system my roommate has an xbox, so I dont really need that hk dvd player, do I? Or is the diffference that much that w/o the hk dvd system the music wouldn't sound as good as the speakers allowed?

Silver Member
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 106
Don't cheap out of the extra $100. I just upgraded my 170s to the SEs and to me it is a fairly big improvement in clarity, openness, and smoothness from the original. The old "classic" 170 used to frequently be favorably compared with the Paradigm Studio 20. The 170SE is clearly above the Studio 20 IMO.

Bronze Member

MiamiUSA

Post Number: 12
I don't even see the 170 classics anymore, i think they just have the SE's now, and yes I was clearly going for those.

So I just got back from Best Buy, the worst place to buy speakers from, because: I asked the guys if they had athena speakers or subs, they LOOKED and didnt find any, so I just went for a walk to see what else I could find (apart from big sony products) and I found all three athena F's. They dont meet my bass requirements unfortunately, and wasnt able to crank them up either. In fact, I wasted my time in that store, all the speakers and subs are on top of cheap plastic hanging stands that shake whenever the volume goes beyond..60 db or so... And I found the athena P4000 subs, opened item only with missing manual for $90, tried it and was better than any sony/yamaha sub (volume went as high as..) but couldnt get the quality because of the cheapness of the store. For 90 bucks per sub I think i'll do that 2.2 feature, start off with the 2.1 and then if its not enough do another .1 addition. I think my decision is final, anyone that has any other suggestions speak now or forever hold your peace.(Those klipsch rb-61's possibly better than 170's??)

Thnks everyone for the help

Bronze Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 76
In terms of pure accuracy, no, but they aren't too far off either. In terms of dynamic punch and volume capability, ohh yes. It just depends on where your priorities are. I feel for rock/hip hop/rap/techno/etc dynamics are extremely important, and this is something Klipsch has in spades.

Of course my opinion differs on the dual subs thing too. I would say put your money into a single, higher quality subwoofer. If you could flip for something like an SVS, I think you'd be in heaven.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4212
Leo, I think you're on the right course by keeping the 2nd sub option open and opting for the 170SEs.

The cheapest SVS, the PB10, is usually around $400 before shipping and is sometimes criticized for being a bit sloppy with music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4213
Quinn,

On the way to Marc's house, let's plan on taking your 170s into All-Star Audio on I-10 for an AB against their Studio 20s, what say you? I'd be very, very curious.

Bronze Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 12
Something you might want to look into is a set of paradigm monitor 90s. They are full tower speakers with the same high and mid as the monitor 9s (my speakers, super nice, amazing sound, I listen to same music as you, only more jazz). but you get 2 small subs built into the speakers. The subs are powered and have really good sound. Since you were recommended earlier to get 2 small subs, one under each speaker, I think you should check these out, at the least, there worth auditioning.

Bronze Member

MiamiUSA

Post Number: 13
thanks jeffrey, however those paradigm monitors go for way more than the 170SE's and some reviews say they lack some bass, so the 170s along with those subs would be about the same price but having the whole package, that is my point of view w/o having heard any of these speakers so far. Next week i'll probably have the hk 3480 in my house already (my parents will freak out when they see that massive thing in the mail). I hope that spending this money on quality speakers that I wont have need to buy anything like this again for at least 5 more years.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3949
Leo, im in the same boat as you man. I just recently bought a HK-3480 refurbished for $200 off HKDIRECT on ebay but am still deciding on speakers.

I listen to mostly hiphop, dance type of music and i have narrowed it down to the following.

CLS-12 12" 3-Way Towers / http://www.cerwin-vega.com/products/homeaudiovideo/index.html

CBM-170 SE's / http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

w/ subs under each speaker or just one single sub

Decisions Decisions..

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 994
Thanks to Edster, and I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him here.

"PPS. Also worth considering are these little-known speakers which do not require a subwoofer unless you're doing really extreme HT:
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Emma.htm
(the b-stock goes for $500)"

For someone living in a dorm, on a tight budget and likes hip-hop, this is a good choice. In fact, I've sold several of these to college students and they've been very pleased with the results.

(In the interest of full-disclosure, Alegria Audio is my company.)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4286
MO,

I love my Ascends but for your needs I think Tim's Emmas might well be just what the doctor ordered.

Just bear in mind you'll need at least 2 feet between the Emmas and the front wall, 3 feet is even better.

The Cerwin Vegas are not anywhere close of course.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3950
Thanks Tim and Ed. I have never heard Alegria Audio or Ascend Acoustics so im learning more about them.

Emmas sound like a winner and you guys say i wont need a subwoofer with them. I listen to mostly rap and electronic/dance music. I have a HK-3480 at 120 x 2 rms

Tim where can i contact you ? Do you have b-stocks available etc.. ? Im a student and on a budget.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3240
Tim, I was gonna jump on that pair with the new XO's, but if the kid wants 'em they are his.
MO, if you don't buy them today, I will.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 995
Thanks everyone.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3951
Im going to buy them Nuck. Thanks for the headsup.

Thanks for the quick reply Tim. I sent out another email to you.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3954
Pmed you stephen
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us