How to get Pioneer receiver to recognize optical digital audio output from TV?

Username: Totallylost

Post Number: 1
Hi all,

I need help on setting up my new Pioneer Receiver VSX-816. I'm trying to connect audio from my Toshiba DLP using optical digital outputs to digital optical input of my receiver. And yes, I do use the digital optical audio link. However, it does not seem to work. I can also see the ProLogic. When I try to select the input signal, it can only detect analog, and not digital. Do you know if I am missing something as I'm a newbie to these things? I believe that my TV is setting up as Dolby Digital in the setting.

Please helppp...

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 28
What source do you use (video1, video2)? The optical output is probably linked to one of these sources (on my receiver, its video2). So, if you're using the receiver on video1, it probably wont play the signals from optical cable...

Post Number: 2
How do I check what source from my receiver is the optical output is linked to? I cannot find that option from my Pioneer receiver. However, there is input options and I verify that DIGITAL OPT 2 is for TV/SAT. Am I missing something here? And I thought receiver is for audio only so why video1, video2, etc.

Please help...

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 35
I'm not sure why you're connecting the audio out from your TV to your receiver, but I assume there is a setting on your TV to tell it to output the digital signal.

Also, on your receiver, you need to go through the setup menu to assign optical 2 to TV/SAT. I have the VSX-912, so it should be similar. You should be able to set the remote to Receiver mode, and then push the right or left arrow button to cycle through the menu options. When you get to OPT2, you should be able to push UP/DOWN until you get to TV/SAT.

Don't you have the manual? If not, it's almost definitely on Pioneer's support site.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your response. Yes, there is digital optical output on the back from my TV so I thought it must be the one for me to use. Based on the instruction from the TV, that would be an option if I want to hook up with external digital audio system. Am I doing right? On my receiver, I did verify that DIGITAL OPT 2 is for TV/SAT in input assigned option. I believe it is the default setting as well. What did I do wrong?

Help

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 36
Normally, you would connect the audio from your source (cable box, DVD player, etc.) to your receiver, rather than from to your TV and then to your receiver.

How is the digital audio getting to your TV in the first place? Your TV may only be passing digital signals through, in which case it would need a digital input signal.

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 37
In other words, you won't be getting digital audio from your TV, unless you have a digital input hooked up to your TV, and you are using that input.

What you really want to do is connect the audio of your DVD player, cable box (if it has digital out) etc. directly to your receiver. Your receiver makes a better audio switch than your TV, and it probably has more inputs.

Post Number: 4
Can you be more specific on the digital input hooked up on my TV? We have cable box connected to our TV using component video. And we only see digital optical out on the back of our TV. So what we did was connecting digital output from TV to digital input of receiver. Would that suppose to work?

Thanks.

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 38
Ok, for your TV to output audio, it needs to have a source input. This could be a VCR, cable box, DVD player, whatever. Your TV doesn't generate audio unless it has a source fed to it.

What source are you trying to use when you expect audio from your TV? If it's your cable box for instance, then what audio connection do you have from your cable box to your TV?

Does your TV have an HDMI input or something? That's another way to get digital audio to your TV, but unless you plan on using your TV speakers, I don't know why you are trying to connect audio cables to your TV in the first place.

In other words, why connect audio out from your cable box to your TV and from your TV to your receiver when you could just connect your cable box to your receiver?

I guess it might be more helpful if you explained what your goal is. It sounds like you simply want to connect the digital optical out from your TV to your receiver, but you haven't really explained why.

Post Number: 5
Okie, I tried to connect audio directly from my cable box to the receiver as your suggestion and it's working perfectly. I think the confusing part was since there is audio out from cable box to TV before, it would make sense that I can connect the digital optical out from TV to my receiver.

I probably need an audio book for dummies. This is my understanding, and maybe I do need the book desperately.

Q: By looking on the back of my cable box, I see the audio OUT connect to audio IN in my TV. So my assumption is that since there is a source input in my TV, then the digital optical out would make sense, right?

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 39
It would probably work, but it doesn't necessarily make sense. If you have a receiver, then I assume you have external speakers. If you have external speakers, then you don't need any kind of audio connection between your receiver and TV (in either direction).

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 40
Remember, you don't have to use every input/output on a piece of equipment, just because it's there.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2900
Unless you want just tv speakers because somebody is sleeping.

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 41
TV speakers can be loud enough to wake someone too, so I'm not sure why that matters.

If it's the bass, then the sub can be turned off.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us