Speaker Help

Username: Rainbow1616

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm new here and looking for some input. I just got a Denon 3805 Receiver for my home theater system and am now looking for 5.1 speakers for it. I was told to check out the xls speakers from av123.com. Does anyone know anything about these or have any other speaker suggestions under 1000? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4183
If $1K is your limit and HT is your predominant usage, I'd get the SVS SB-01 5.1 package that comes with the PB-10 subwoofer for $1K.

svssubwoofers.com

If you could go a little over budget, this system would be equally good for music and compare well to retail speakers costing much more:

2 pairs CBM-170SE bookshelf speakers, 1 CMT-340center, 1 Hsu STF-2 sub = $1373 shipped from ascendacoustics.com

Bronze Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 58
Can't say I've heard them, but at the 200/pr price point there are going to be compromises made. They definately would appear to have solid cabinets from the literature, although I could live without wood veneer and put the money towards more expensive drivers, but thats my opinion.

Out of curiousity, how big is your room? What kind of useage between music + movies will this system be seeing?

Post Number: 2
Room is approximately 12x15. I'd like it for movies but My wife likes it for music so i'd say 50/50? And yes I could possibly go a little over budget.
Thanks for the Input.

Bronze Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 63
Ascend is definately one way to look; a lot of people tout their bang for the buck as being particularly high. The only changes I would make to Eddies suggestion is that in your room you could get away with using smaller rears like the HTM-200, as well as using the CBM-170 as a center (which would give slightly better performance in some aspects). This would lower the price to 1189 shipped.

Another potential candidate is Paradigm, with 2 pairs of Atoms, a CC-170, and the HSU STF-2 subwoofer running in the same ballpark price, about 1100.

My final suggestion, which easily fits into your budget, is two pairs of Athena B1.2s, the C1.2 center channel, paired with a HSU VTF-2, 879 before shipping.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4190
I've heard the Atoms, and there's no comparison with the Ascends. The Atoms do have more of a mid-bass hump so they sound more pleasing in a sub-less system, but their mids and highs are not in the same league.

The Athenas B1.2s from audioadvisor.com would be a good choice in a HT-only setup esp. since you could use the savings to get a stronger sub like an SVS PB12 or Hsu STF-3. For music they will be on the "bright" side though esp. with Denon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4191
PS. I'd second Stephen's suggestion about the HTM-200s for surrounds.

Post Number: 3
Thanks, Ill look into the Ascends they are definitely in my price range. The room is not all that big but when My wife is in her mood she likes it LOUD. *lol*

Post Number: 4
Seems the 3805 I was getting from a friend is actually a 2805. Would these same speaker setups you gave me still apply to this receiver? I like the looks of the ascends and thats what I will go with if all is still ok. Thanks!

Username: Dyankamatsu

Mississauga , Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
were moving next year in our new condo the size of the living room is 10x15 ft., im thinking of of using bose speaker but i dont think they have 6.1 or 7.1, i browsed some of of the AVR for denon and yamaha ,raging 700-800 Cad dollars . by the way me and my wife wants to have a sleek and hi tech, minimalist (not bulky) concept in our condo ,any brand beside bose for the speakers , i will greatly appreciate if somebody can give some input about this.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3021
Orb is a product you should seek out.
They are actually AUDIO as opposed to Bose, which is a paperweight. http://www.orbaudio.com/

Username: Dyankamatsu

Mississauga , Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
thanks nuck on your prompt response and and referal of this product , by the way what do you mean when you say "AUDIO as opposed to Bose" , you mean its more on music , than movies , i prefer both. thanks again

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3402
"Bose, which is a paperweight"

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 3035
JC, nothing raises the temperature in here like a Bose story.
They are overrated, let's say that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us