Whole house audio question

Username: Pdorsey

Post Number: 1
Hey folks --

First, thanks for a great forum -- I've learned a lot just by lurking.

On to business: I have two very different recommendations for a home audio system, and would love some feedback. We're rehabbing a house, wired for speakers in 5 rooms, and all I really need is to be able to have a DVD going in the main room while a CD/MP3 is playing elsewhere. I don't really need/want several sources sources going in multiple rooms, and I'd rather spend on good music reproduction over gadgetry. Usage will be 70% music (jazz, electronica) 30% movies.
--Option #1 was recommended by a local audio store from whom I've purchased stuff in the past, and who I like a lot. I would trade in my two older NAD receivers (T761 and BEE320) for an NAD 753 or 763 that has a 2nd zone. This would power the HT, and I'd buy a small (?) slave amp to power other rooms. I would need a speaker switcher and IR repeater as well. Speakers would be Monitor Audio bronze series ceiling speakers as rears in main room to match my Silver 6s, and either NHT or PHB ceiling speakers in the other rooms. Would probably just install volume controls in other rooms.
--Option #2 was recommended by the guy who wired the house for data/audio. A Speakercraft MZC 66 would power the system, and we'd use Speakercraft AIM7 or CRS6 ceiling speakers. Prob use Monitor bronzes for rears in main room (same as #1). The receiver comes with keypads, so those would be installed in other rooms.

#2 sounds simpler, and it seems like Speakercraft has been around for a while, but I'm wary of it for some reason. Maybe because it's all from one firm, maybe because I'd never heard of Speakercraft before -- dunno. #1 seems like more of a kludge, but I've been very happy with the NAD/Monitor combo over the years.

Thoughts? My head is spinning at this point. Maybe the Speakercraft solution is better?

Thanks, Pat

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8663

If you like the NAD sound, I would stay with it. If you move to a product you don't know, the first time something doesn't sound right, you'll be blaming the new gear, the installer for talking you into a purchase and yourself for ditching what you liked.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1076
Pat just be aware that quite a few people on this forum have had quality control issues with those particular models of NAD that you are considering. You can search the forum where those threads were discussed and may be protect yourself by buying extended warranty.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 568
Pat,

I am interested to find out which option you picked? I am in a similar situation. I am building a house, and am wanting to use the second zone functions of my NAD T762. I would welcome any advice you could give.

Does anyone else have any experience with using the second zone functions of a NAD receiver? Specifically, what types of in-ceiling speakers may you have used? I don't want to spend a bundle, but want decent sound at fairly low volume levels. Also, what IR-repeaters can anyone recommend? My house isn't huge, so once again, a fairly inexpensive repeater would do fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us