Speaker problem with low freq. or receiver issue?

Bronze Member
Username: Manhattan01

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 15
Hi all,

still pretty much a newbie but recently, I've noticed a problem with my sound. I didn't notice it before until a few days ago...problem is, I'm having trouble describing it or if there's technical jargon to describe my symptons, I don't it.

Only happens on music with relatively low bass frequencies. The sound isn't solid/smooth/stable...as it seems to sound like vibration or rumbling. If I lightly touch my finger to the edge of the dust cap, the vibration sound is gone and the music sounds better.

I don't listen to my music loud (live in a townhome) and the speakers are less than a year old. I'm using a pair of Totem Forests with a NAD L53 receiver. Admittedly the receiver is a little unde-powered but I did speak with Totem about the pairing and they said it should be no problem.

Has anyone heard of a problem like this or know what it's called? How do I know if I've damaged my drivers?

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 943
Try using a different amp and playing the same music.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1581
They must still be under warranty. Sounds like a trip to the shop is in order.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8647

I assume this is a problem in both speakers not just one channel. The questions I would first ask are, have you owned these speakers since they were new? Have you played the system loudly? Have you played the system with music having heavy bass content or extreme dynamics in the lowest octaves? Did you ever hear a "cracking" noise while playing the speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1585
Perhaps just be a loose screw on a woofer? Or a loose connection on the inside connection?

Bronze Member
Username: Manhattan01

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post Number: 16
Thanks guys.
I bought these used from a seller on Audiogon. He had good feedback and the speakers worked fine up until a couple weeks ago. I have NOT played the speakers loudly not have I heard cracking at any frequency. Yes, it's both channels, not just one speaker though the right channel does seem to exhibit this more. I DID tighten all drivers screws and the vibration noise seemed to be less noticable but still there.

Jan, you mentioned heavy bass content vs. extreme dynamics of the lowest octaves. I'm not sure what you mean BUT heavy bass...like drums...bass from R&B, soul, etc., doesn't have this problem. It's more from DEEP bass from a piano or string instrument that exhibits this - something with a lot of reverberation. Short, quick bass sounds are ok.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us