Denon Sucks, Ecost.com Sucks...im venting here

Username: Alex053

Peoria, AZ

Post Number: 1
I originally posted this on avs forums but i am now a smear campaing. are there any other sites i cal review products and give reviews of service??

Original Post:
[quote]Im about to send it back but i thought i would ask on here first.

I have an AVR-2106 running 3 Phase Tech CI-60's up front and 2 CI-6.0's in the rear. Now at random times, all the sound will cut out and i will just get a high pitch whine. the display doesnt change and the ring around the power button doesnt flash like its in protect. this has happend on every source. if i push any button (ie change the source from tv to cd then back to tv, its fine) it goes back to normal for a short time. its not hot to the touch, just normal warm. my front speakers all read between 4.9 and 5.1 ohms with the rears at 6.0.

is there anything on my end i can do before sending it back?

also i have been trying to call denon all day but after 15-25 minutes on hold i give up
[/quote]

ok..here is the update. Denon has THE worst customer service i have dealt with. I worked in the car and home audio tech support field for Rockford Corp and Mitek Corp troubleshooting, installs, new product development so i have had these peoples jobs and what has happend to me over the past two months is amazing.

i purchased a refurb 2106 from ecost.com on 3/6/06. i recieved about two weeks later. then the above problem happend. I call Denon where I tell them the problem is and they instantly tell me its the reciever and issue me an SRA#1085637. So i spend the $61 to 2nd day it to them.

4-6-06 they recieve it. Ok, sweet...get it fixed so i can enjoy it.

5-2-06 I finally call them on only to find its just been sitting there because they need a reciept. The person i spoke with didnt tell me this and said it could found in warranty by the SN. Either way I shouldnt have had to call on this, they had my number on file and when i worked the same job for two seperate companies it was our job to follow up with stuff like this. I fax my reciept to Elizabeth and call to ensure she had it and to make sure it would be covered under warranty. check on both accounts.

5-8-06 called to check status, no answer from customer service so i left a message and got no call back

5-11-06 spoke with edward smith who "put a rush on it" and will have a date of when it will be done next week

5-16-06 left a message and got no call back

5-17-06 spoke to edward smith again who told me the repair tech had just got it and it would be another week before it would be done. i asked for 2nd day shipping for my trouble and he agreed

5-30-06 called and spoke with Tricia who looked at and said it was being repaired but there were no notes on the ticket...she would check and call me back. I told her I had never recieved a call from the company and she (with an attitude) says "well you never spoke to me. i call all my customers back" I give her my cell and wait. I get no call

6-1-06 Tricia calls me at home, two days late and not on the number i gave her to tell me that I now have to pay for the 2nd day shipping that Edward told me i could have. She says "Edward shouldnt have told you that...he's new" I flip out and ask for a manager. Christine gets on the phone and says "dont worry about that shipping charge, we will take care of it". i ask for a tracking number and she gets my email address. no number is ever sent

6-5-06 I GOT IT BACK!! im so psyched. i moved into my house two days before xmas and my HT is finally done. so i take everything apart, reprogram my remote, redo all my inputs and outputs and my autoset up and sit down to watch yankees redsox in HD and the same problem comes up

so i call Ecost and speak with LaTina. who tells me to call denon. I say i want to return it to you and get a different unit, I paid you and would like to return my product. she gets my name, address and numbers and says she can file a claim to try and get me to be able to return it to them....** insert hold music** she gets back on and says "ya...call denon, its their product and they need to fix it. I ask to speak to a manager...theres not one there. I ask to speak with the person she spoke with when i was on hold....she sighs so long and loud and the LAUGHS!! that got me full hot...i told her i needed to speak to someone in charge and she told me she was going to hang up on me and to call back between 8 and 5.

here is a video of my problem.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v253/alex053/?action=view&current=MOV05637.flv

screw denon, screw ecost.

Cliff Notes: Denon took two months to not fix my reciver, not call me back, not inform of what was going then try to charge me for things i was told would be covered. Ecost was zero help and refers any problem to the manufacturer

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1368
That really sucks. Sorry to hear it. If anyone asks about Denon or Ecost, I'll post your link. One or two mistakes can be acceptable. A string of them is a serious problem. Have you thought about contacting the Better Business Bureau?

Customer service employees can make or break a company. It seems that most companies don't care about this any more.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1064
Alex sorry about your problem. Buying refurbished from these sites is always a crapshoot. I had a similar situation with a lower end Denon DVD player I bought from ecost and am about to just throw it away. It was only $70. I have bought other stuff such as memory sticks or cables from ecost, but buying actual electronics is risky.

You can still put a hold on the payment from the credit card company if you explain the situation to them.

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1017
I say forget Ecost, if you bark loud enough at Denon they may toss you a new receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1420
In the UK, your contract is with the vendor, not the manufacturer. You paid the vendor, so it is they who have the obligation to take care of you. The vendor should then take it up with the manufacturer to sort out the problem. Perhaps it's different in the US, but it seems unlikely.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Alex053

Peoria, AZ

Post Number: 2
im hoping denon will help me out. i didnt get a chance to contact them today...they are on the east coast vs me on the west coast. the customer service there is really lacking and i doubt they are going to do anything for me

i thought i was safe...i saw plenty of good things written about ecost, and i have used and reccomended denon in 4 of my friends homes. I also thought that if anything happended denon would take care of me with their warranty. that they did and im glad they covered me under warranty, but everything else about this brings me to tears of frustration.

as far as a hold on the payment...i paid for it in March. by the time they shipped it to me, i set it up, found the problem, called ecost, called denon, sent it in and got it back...its been 3 months and i have used it for maybe 5 days.

best $400 i have ever spent.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1584
Doesn't help you at all, but I've had a good dealing with ecost for my h/k receiver two years ago.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us