Archive through May 23, 2006

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2511
Uhh, Larry.
If Mer is afraid to use the Yammy, don't you think the time is nigh?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2512
And just think how nice the music could be this afternoon.
It's calling Lar.
Break out the crowbar and open that wallet! lol.

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1380
Nuck: Sigh. No, double sigh. Yes, sir, the "time is nigh" alright - but with Mer's mom in trouble, the stereo issue is on a back burner for now.

BTW - this morning the docs said that there was good news, and bad news.

Good news is that she did NOT have a stroke.

Bad news is that she DOES have a brain tumor, deep down where is is inoperable. That means that she may suddenly die, or may just continue to have these stroke-like "episodes," which are coming closer and closer together.

She's still in the hospital, and we just don't know what will happen. But Mer and I are OK - Mer and her mother have never been super-close for many reasons, and so this is a challenge, but not a catastrophe, for us.

Anyway - once things settle down a bit, I'll most likely be getting a new Cambridge DVD 89.

OH, yes - thanks to those who have expressed sympathy - both on-forum and in private e-mails.

Respectfully. . .LR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1381
To all: final update - Mer's mom is home from the hospital, and apparently doing well. From now on, we just wait for another "episode" and keep on keeping on. That's all on that. . .

Now adding up nickels and dimes to see if I can afford that Cambridge! (grin) Mer is still holding out for a Krell instead of a new car - she says kiddingly! Yeah. . .

Four new CDs from Amazon - including a neat-oh "Paul Desmond Quartet Live" from the now-famous Bourbon St. sessions in Toronto many, many years ago - a couple of years before Desmond died. the sound is predictably "60s" - but the music is stunning in its relative simplicity. Sure am a die-hard Desmond fan!

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 1275
Larry,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. To quote Tony Soprano - "Everyday is a gift." More often than not, in times like these people forget about their differences and realize what's most important.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3252
Glad to hear all is well for now Larry. Hope it stays that way. Much luck to you and yours.

So we know you received a Paul Desmond disc. What other treasures arrived at your door.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1382
Stu: Thank you. Good points made by you, sir!

Art: Well, here's the rub - got some new Schumann piano trio CDs. To bolster an earlier purchase of mine. I'd bought the 2-disc Philips set by the Beaux Arts Trio. Great interpretation, but the sound quality is a bit thin and tinny. As a couple of Amazon reviewers had noted.

I had initially wanted the Florestan Trio's set, but blanched at the cost - $21.95 per disc. (I paid I think $15 for the 2-disc Philips) Gulp. But after auditioning, I thought that I needed the Florestan set as well - so I got the discs today.

They're on the Hyperion label - and the difference in sound quality - while not astonishing - is certainly to be noted. Hyperion is rich and full, while the Philips disc is, uh, "strained."

The Florestaners give a great performance - so it is a toss-up as to interpretation. In the end, I'll pick the Florestan over Beaux Arts, but since I've got both, well, heck, I'm awash in riches! (grin0

What I quickly and easily determined in my multi-level auditioning is that - in both cases - the discs took on a much richer quality after using the Zaino treatments. I can't explain it - won't try - but I do know what my poor ole ears tell me.

Had quite a laugh the other night at a friend's home, where an "audiophile" was a fellow dinner-guest. This chap - a retired scientist (do they ever really retire??) - is a huge LP collector and self-styled "expert" on the format. Well, OK. . .

He could not believe that I spent an average 15 minutes fussing with and cleaning my CDs. (he said he thought you never had to clean them) But when I pinned him down on how much time he spends with his beloved vinyl collection - well, the tables turned rather quickly. (uh, "turn tables?" grin)

First, he de-statics, then brushes, then wet-cleans, then brushes again, then gives them a final de-static with his "gun" before the LP ever gets on the turntable. Every play - not once, as I do with the CDs. I think the other guests got quite an earful with his fanatical approach to record-playing.

Oh, yes - he also allowed as how his turntable cost more than $2,000 - and that didn't include tone arm or cartridge! After that I didn't have the heart to say that I play CDs on a "lowly" $400 Yamaha. And he didn't ask - fortunately! (grin)

And while I'm at it, Art - thanks again for your help in wading through the CD-player maze!

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4173
If I may return briefly to a discussion of many months ago....

CD Review 13 May 2006 has an interview with audio restoration engineer Mark Obert-Thorn about his work for Naxos.

Lots of interesting stuff there. Including a demonstration of early stereo from Detroit in 1952 (Stokowsky) and even earlier "accidental stereo" which can be reconstructed from a back-up master tape made from a microphone that happened to be in a different position from that used for the main recording.

As regards vinyl/shellac vs magnetic tape, it seems records last longer and are usually a better source than tape. Especially 45 rpm singles, which were the best. There was an amazing Nathan Millstein Beethoven recording from 1950.

Seems that, pre-LP, the US had superior shellac, and US records are usually better sources than those from UK.

Also some stuff on the recording industry and copyright issues.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2531
Hi John.
Having just returned from Memphis and toured the Sun Studio, I got to see some of the recording equipment which was current in the early 50's.

The studio used Ampex(as most Americans did) and your assessment is right on.

The 'recording lathe' was a masterful device, and could etch live recordings straight to acetate.
The Ampex TR 4-channel tape recorder was a handy storage device(a bit bigger than a breadbox) in cabinet form.

An absolute treat to see some of that old stuff!

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1353
"old stuff"

You rang? LOL!

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1354
On a serious note, I am truly sorry to hear about Mer's mom. I don't get to the forum as often as I would like, and just heard the news. My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2533
Hey Rick.
I seem to have 50's sound and music in my head, can't shake it.
Do I need tubes?

Did I mention the million dollar quartet?
Sun studio recording.
Brand new 1956.

Cheers(with coffee).

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8433

For those contemplating Hi-Def DVD; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/224457.html

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8434

"Seems that, pre-LP, the US had superior shellac, and US records are usually better sources than those from UK."

Tell that to someone in the U.S. who paid big bucks for the European import copy of The White Album. Seems no mater where you are in the world, someone will tell you what you normaly can't get is better than what's easily available, but they can get the good stuff for you, if you are willing to pay the price. Imports were the bread and butter of the North American audiophile record business until and through the days of half speed masters from Mobile Fidelity and similar companies.

As to vinyl/shellac being superior to tape, that would be a poor argument in most cases. As usual both have good and bad points to be made. However, the argument has been made that had the 45/45° stereo cut record never been accepted as the "standard" for stereo reproduction in the consumer market, the sound quality of today's record industry products would be considerably better. And, 45's are good, but 78's are even better. Recorded direct to master lathes and pressed in small batches, the sound quality is difficult to better. Of course, any performance is limited to no more than three minutes playing time. This does, however, make "programming" which selections you like much simpler than LP's.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4174
Thanks, Jan. Three cheers for Mr Pogue.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2544
And a freebie for Sam Phillips.

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1355
Nuck,

EVERYONE needs tubes!

Sun Studios. I remember the first record I ever bought. An Elvis 78. 45's didn't exist at the time.

Like the man said.....How old I feel.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1383
Rick: thanks - all is well for the time being.

Now - a really serious question to all. Do I really need a DVD player that has all the HDMI upsampling and fancy digital cabling to a TV set? Or would I be better off with a nice, progressive scan DVD with s-video and outputs for red, green and blue that are advertised to give "superior" picture and color?

This next winter, Mer and I will be getting a flat-screen hi-def-ready TV - maybe a Sharp or Samsung - about 30 to 32 inches. From what I've seen so far, we'd be quite happy with a regular DVD player without the digital upsampling.

What say you all?

Respectfully. . .LR

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8441

Read the linked article above.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4175
Jan,

Should be "US shellac was better". Nothing said about vinyl. The White Album was definitely vinyl.

Mr Obert-Thorn is American, by the way, from Pennsylvania. It's a nice interview, but cr_p sound in RealAudio. He's a knowledgable and critical guy. He starts with getting the original disc centered to avoid wow. This means putting it on layers of other discs so the spindle does not go through the hole, which is often off-center.

Naxos link on Mark Obert-Thorn.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1384
Jan: Read it - and what it said to me was to save my money, buy only progressive scan DVD and not worry about those extra cables and upscaling. The Cambridge Audio DVD player comes in two "flavors" - with and without the HDMI link. The 87 - cheaper of the two - doesn't have it, and I think that's the way for me to go - at nearly a hundred bucks less. Probably the same audio "guts," anyway. Good TV is fine, but certainly not top priority for Mer and me.

Once the blu-ray or whatever settles down, it may be worth our while to trade up to that - but I think that will be several years in the future.

Thanx, Jan

Gold Member

Post Number: 2552
Good link, thanks John.

Silver Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 569
Larry

Thanks to you and Mer for you know what - that's just the ticket at present :-) Will send you a progress report soon.

About your DVD player. I agree that the HDMI connection shouldn't be a priority especially on screens less than 40+ inches. The component cables will offer a better picture quality than the S-video which in turn is better than composite connections. Component cables will match the progressive scan to give very good picture quality. I hope the Cambridge player works out for you guys.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4177
Thanks, Nuck.

If any one is interested, the direct "Audio-on-Demand" link is: CD Review (4 hr) Broadcast on Radio 3 - Sat 13 May - 09:00. The interview with Obert-Thorn is about 30 minutes, and starts about half-way through.

My Rantz,

Welcome back, friend. It's been a while. Hope all is well.

On HDMI, the gist of the New York Times item is the same. Perhaps the renewed interest in such things as tube amps and vinyl reflects of mood of weary cynicism, as Pogue puts it, with the consumer electronics industry. We thought we might get a projector, a while ago, where there might be some benefit in HDMI. We use component connection at present, and an LCD TV. It's fine by me.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1385
MR - thanx, and welcome back to the Forum, sir! Mer and I send good thoughts your way, as always.

Jan: thanks again for the article-link. I did read it, before and after your little "nudge!" (grin)

John A - Ah, yes - from about everything I've read - except manufacturer-hype - I'd be foolish to spend money on stuff that won't make any difference (or very little) on my present screen, or even the new 32-ish-inch LCD flat-panel that Mer and I hope to be able to afford next winter.

I can get the Cambridge DVD 87 - not the 89 - Online for $269 USD - which, even at my budget level, is a LOW price! The 89 is about a hundred higher.

There is nowhere around here that I can listen to or buy the CA gear - so I pretty much have to rely on the Online vendors. At least some of them offer free shipping!

Big car repairs coming up this week - so I'll probably make the "buy" the first part of June -hoping that the Yammie lasts that long. Without my music, the house takes on a most somber tone!

Respectfully. . .LR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1386
POLISHERS VINDICATED! Yo - for Mr. Kyle, and Mr. Rantz, and Mr. Vigne and all Dawgs who've tried various CD-polishing methods - and have found scratches where they were "not" before - aha!!

Many times, my friends, they WERE there before you started polishing - but they were just hidden under some sort of coating.

I had this brought to my attention when I opened the CDs that come with my monthly "Gramophone" magazine. Every month there is a sampler of some sort - and this time I paid close attention, as I intended to clean the disc. ((I usually do not clean the demo discs)

I noted some "shadows" on the disc, and then began my Zaino-cleaning. To my surprise and shock, after I gently wiped off the Zaino - there were a dozen rather prominent scratches! Going in directions that I had NOT rubbed!

As I had not cleaned one of my new Schumann trio discs, I thought I'd do a repeat. Carefully looking over the disc showed one small area that "might" be a scratch, but did not show up as such.

I very gently cleaned the disc, and lo and behold, a scratch showed up! And - again - it was running in a direction NOT rubbed by me during the polish.

OK - so what's going on here? There must be some sort of top layer sprayed on the discs. Couldn't be mold release compound, unless there are scratches built into the stamper! Which I doubt.

I called friend Verne in LA - he's got a friend who works at the Sony plant in Indiana - and I hope to get an answer to this. Anybody have any ideas?

I'm stumped. . .

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1388
Answering (some of) my own questions:

Thanks to Verne I got more than an earfull of the eccentricities of CD production. After long-distance conferences, I was told that the scratches on the discs in question could not have been put on the stamper - that they must have come later.

And now comes the "rub." It would seem that taking a new CD out of the box and scratching it just a bit might - or might not - result in a sharply-defined scratch. It depends on how much and what kind of mold release compound remains on the disc.

It was 'splained to me thusly: consider the mold compound to be peanut butter, spread thin on the surface. Cut a scratch in it, and it goes through to the disc surface, but it also "blunts" the scratch a bit.

Polish off the peanut butter and you're left with the scratch - but now it is sharply defined.

The differences between scratched discs depend, in large measure, on what kind of compound is used, and whether the machines apply it thick or thin.

My friend's friend claims that his stamping plant uses very thin compound, computer-controlled to keep it from loading onto the disc. Welllll. . .OK

Anyway - the discs that I was cleaning are obviously not premium discs - but throw-away freebie samplers, so the depth of mold release compound is not a huge factor, apparently.

So - which discs have the "good cholesterol" and which ones have the "bad cholesterol?" Nobody seems to know - or say. But the word is that this mold release compound DOES degrade the surface insofar as optical clarity is concerned. Here's part of one engineer-writer's comments on that. Jan - this goes back to what you've been saying all along - and reinforces your comments.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Even a slight degradation of the eye pattern quality could produce a few picoseconds' worth of temporal indeterminacy as to exactly when each and every zero crossing occurs. For instance, a slight reduction in CD surface reflectivity could slightly reduce the eye amplitude in the eye pattern, or could make the ramp slope at the zero crossing less vertically steep, which would make the precise time at which the zero crossing occurred less precisely determinate. Also, a slight reduction in reflectivity could worsen the signal to noise ratio, thereby making noise a larger contributory factor in degrading the determination of precisely when each zero crossing occurred. Slowly acting AGC circuits in the laser-reading photodetector amplifier might be able to approximately compensate for gross variations in eye pattern amplitude, but not slight variations, and they could not improve a degraded signal to noise ratio.
Thus, it at least makes sense that even slight degradation of eye pattern quality might adversely affect not the exactitude of the amplitude dimension of the final music waveform, but rather the exactitude of the time dimension of the final music waveform that your CD player is wholly responsible for creating. If the time dimension is not exact for each and every sample, then distortion of the music waveform results, and that distortion could well be the sonic degradation that we in fact hear, when the eye pattern is not at its best quality.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In conclusion: not only does the mold release compound "smudge" the scratches so they are not as visible as those on a cleaned disc, it also smudges the "eye pattern" - like mud on your eyeglasses. Guess that sorta wraps it up. . .

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1389
In other words - that's why our cleaned discs sound better - no matter what the "bits is bits" nay-sayers claim!

Polish on!!!

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 570
Thanks Larry - good info. Makes sense to me.

No wonder my polished CD's taste - er - sound so good.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8444

I suspected as much as I've been feeling a bit of "temporal indeterminacy" here myself as of late (so to speak).

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8445

John A. - The new issue of Stereophile gives the Rega Apollo very high marks.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4182
Thanks, Jan. I'll wait for it to appear over here, and see what Stereophile has to say. There is an over-the top review of Martin Logan Vantage speakers in June HiFiNews, by Kessler, of course. "Also consider" says only used Quad ESL 57 or ESL 63, both with a sub. Not that I am getting complacent or anything....

Temporal indeterminacy? Lost your watch?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8447

Don't wear one.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2694
SUP?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4183
The indeterminacy won't be just a few picoseconds' worth, then.

I, too, occasionally make compromises in the exactitude of the time dimension.

On "Do you listen" I made the suggestion that if things make sense, they have to continue to make sense if we substitute antonyms. In that spirit I am trying to imagine what happens when you make the ramp slope at the zero crossing less horizontally steep.

Larry, where'd you get that pile of words....?

Sorry, I have just been entertained by Kessler in HFN reviewing a pre-amp for people who do not worry about pecuniary indeterminacy, and who like a source selector to be labelled "pleasure source". The Swiss makers' reference speakers are atrocious, he says, which means the amp must be really something if it makes them sound OK.

Did we not dispose of that argument with a Yamaha studio monitor, some while back?

I am clearly off some other planet to these guys.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4184
KEGGER!

Welcome!

Man, give us some straight talking......!

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2695
Figured I'd come by to say hello to all of my old buddies! HELLO!

Sorry for just walking away and not really trying to keep in touch.
If anyone had tried to reach me, email issues then bad cable modem among others.

I've been over at audiokarma as I met one of the co ownwers who happens to live but
10 minutes from me, and a fairly large number of members are from Michigan! where
we get together quite regularly and have even formed an audio club that meets every
month at one of the members homes. Plus I've been getting a lot of gear to work on.

Still into tubes, and yes even the vinyl is growing on me! Just recently we had one of
those Karma fest gigs that had a pretty good turnout, even mac had a room there.

Hope everyone is happy and well!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1390
Kegger! Man, we thot U'd done gone to dat tube-heaven in Greenland or sum-ting!

Nice to hear your "voice," and please come back on the Dawgs Forum - we do, indeed, need some "straight talk" here!

John A. - well, sir, that "pile of words" came from a "white paper" on jitter that some friend of Verne's researched, wrote and put out on the Internet. I got "sent" there - and frankly could only decipher about 75% of what was said. But it sure sounded right! (grin)

Jan: Very good. You don't. Wear a watch, that is. Neither does Mer. Neither do I. But I have one in a drawer somewhere just in case I go a-travelin' and need to know when the train leaves. I think. . .

My next step is going to be Exact Audio Copy software, free download on the I-net. Everything I read about it would indicate that this is a crucial step towards "accurate" reproduction from CDs.

Got back from the brake repair shop today - too poor to contemplate anything Big stereo-wise for awhile. Gulp. But the nice chap said I was skating on thin ice, so to speak - that the brakes were "95% gone." Scary. Had a look for myself. Yep. He was right. $400 USD later I was safely driving again. Sigh. (double sigh)

Mer says she's going to "give" me the Cambridge Audio DVD87 for my birthday, which is coming up in a week. That means, of course, that she intends for me to order it Online, pay for it, then thank her for the present! Hmm. . .something's amiss here.

But heck, a person only celebrates 70 years once, and I guess the credit card can stand another workout. Uh, right. . .

Kegger: come back, OK?

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1391
Kegger: KARMA-FEST?!?

Uh. . . . . . . .

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3263
Congrats on the 70 yrs Larry, oh and the Cambridge.

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1356
Good to have you back Kegger!

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2696
Larry! And anyone else interested, here's a link to a sight that did a write-up on the Fest.
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue25/akf.htm

It's kinda like a mini CES show with more of a Diy/Vintage theme.
But there is/was plenty of new also, including some great vendors.

I believe my room is on the 3rd page. The pic's are from the first of 3 days.
I had a different system for all 3 days, yah it was local to pack my van full!
(same sources for all 3 day's, but different amps/speakers)

On the second day I ran my bang for the buck speaker system, as they cost..... $1.00
It was 8" Utah full range whizzer cone driver in an EPI 200 cabinet with a 12" passive.
I got the cabs for free, spent $1 on the Utah's and borrowed tweeters to plug the holes. LOL!
With no xover and a fairly efficient, benign load, a SET amp(300B) sounds wonderful.
The reason I brought those is I was shocked at how well they reproduce uncomplicated
music, like jazz and such with an awe inspiring vocal presentation. Truly captivating!

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2697
Good to know your still around Rick, how the gators doin down there?

I'm pretty tied up and don't post to much on other boards as AK and gear
rebuilding keep me grounded so to speak. There's a huge vintage following
on AK with a lot of people needing work with many being local.

I need a bigger house from the gear I keep stock piling and the work stuff.
(Take a look at my main amp at the moment in the fest link from above) :-)

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2698
Congrats on the 70'yrs Larry here too!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4186
Larry's link is http://www.iar-80.com/page59.html

Larry, if you can decipher 75 %, that's impressive. We discussed an IAR review a while back, and the question became what was the guy smoking. Try the end of this page, also named Page Title - on "The Thrill of Catching Live Miracles". But thanks, anyway.

Kegger,

Hey, it's really great to read that, and see those pictures. Did someone airbrush out the beer cans...?

There are a lot of new contributors over on Tube Talk. Look what you started.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1392
All: Thanks for the congrats - though it's merely longevity, and not sainthood! (grin) Actually, it's a steady supply of good Scotch. . .

Ah, John, you found the link from which I "borrowed" some copy. Verne has all sorts of friends in that organization, it seems. . .and I think I nudged the truth a bit. . .I only really understood 48% of the article! (grin)

Kegger - thanks for the link to the 'fest - I did enjoy the pics and the write-up. Wowzer - took me back to happy-years - reel-to-reel tape (miss it!) and a lucite-enclosed turntable flanked by the ever-ready red anti-static gun! Had several of those!

Sounds like you guyz have a lot of fun - for which I'm a tad jealous! And great to hear from you again, at any rate. Please come back often, my friend.

Well - I'm tweaking the checkbook and robbing one credit card to pay another - but tomorrow I'll be ordering up the Cambridge Audio DVD 87 - per Mer's "Happy Birthday" instructions. Sigh. Might as well go a tad deeper in debt - it IS the Great American Way, doncha know! Will let all the Dawgs know how it plays and such - it should be here by my birthday - the 23rd. Sigh. (I feel so OLD!!!)

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2700
Well here's a pic of the full range xoverless speakers, a beer and some large guy.

Upload

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1393
Kegger: Thank God for the Large Guys!

DVD-87 just got ordered from Audio Adviser.com - would have bought it "local" except that there's no place within a hundred miles - or more - of here that carries the CA gear. Sigh. Should be here in a week - from Michigan, Kegger!

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2701
Yah I don't know who that big guy is next to my stuff though!

That figures Lar, I gotta order stuff from florida and you gotta get it from michigan.

Hopefully it lives upto all the anticapation for you. Congrats!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8456

Kegger - When'd you learn to type?

That's lots of new pictures of old stuff. Too bad the photog didn't bring the right film speed. And, what's this ... "modded Dynakit Stereo 70 amp (employing new production 350B tubes)"?

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2704
As to the typing Jan, Practice I guess :-)

I ran down the St-70 stuff on the tube thread.
Yah that AK place is pretty cool, great gigs they put on.

The Fest is a blast and meeting people like we mentioned here before that you
get to know online and become friends with is truly special, wish we could here.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2705
Here's one for yu JAN!

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
A Greek and an Italian were drinking coffee one day discussing who had the superior culture.

> Over triple lattes the Greek guy says, "Well, we have the Parthenon".
>
> Arching his eyebrows the Italian replies, "We have the Coliseum."
>
> The Greek retorts, "We Greeks gave birth to advanced mathematics."
> The Italian, nodding in agreement, says, "But we built the Roman Empire."
>
> And so on and so on until the Greek comes up with what he thinks will end the discussion.
>
> With a flourish of finality he says, "We invented sex!"
>
>
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'

The Italian replies, "That is true, but it was the Italians who introduced it to women!"

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1357
(cymbal crash)

Kegger will be here all week, folks.
Thank you and good night.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1394
Jan: You must realize that, for years, Kegger has been "hiding" behind a mask of good-ole-boy persona, when, in fact, a much higher level of intelligence has been at work in the background.

I figger that Kegger "slipped up" - showed his true self - and now doesn't know how to hide it again. Of course, those of us wit 4sight nu al ulong tht Keggr had much more to offer than "Yep."

TRIPLE GRIN

And good morning to y'all!

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8457

If tales (check spelling) of the Roman Legions are true, your story is historically inaccurate but funny none the less.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2707
Nah Larry no skill here, sometimes I just get lucky and by accident do something decent.

Thought you'd enjoy that Jan, someone sent me that.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 584
And to think, I ran out to B&N and picked up an unabridged Michigan dictionary. I wonder if I can still return it...hmmm.

Welcome back Kegman.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2581
Well, gosh, I clicked the Ambassabor-bridged version and it kept coming up with Pistons, Mitch Rider lyrics and some hair-brained inventor from Port Huron.

Stick around Kegger.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1397
Jan: hmmmm - the Roman legions had no women, and they marched very, very close together. . .frictio ad cuminus, I'm thinking. . .

Cambridge is on its way from Grand Rapids, MI.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2709
Good to see yur still around SEM and WAZZUP Nuck, thanks both of yu!

I didn't know Michigan had a dictionary and the pistons are pretty good
but my mighty hot wings got burned and flamed out in the playoffs. :-(

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1359
Larry,

Best of luck with the CA cdp. I have a CA Azur 540D DVD player, and not had a bit of trouble with it. Plays flawlessly, and amazing build quality for the price. Hope you and Mer enjoy many hours of listening bliss.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1398
Rick: Thanks - always good to get a personal endorsement on such a product!

Wondered about the jitter issue with the CA - so I e-mailed their support chaps. I referenced the published 50 pS rate touted by the Pioneer Elite CD players - and asked if the DVD87 might come close to that. They replied:
Whilst we don't have the exact measurements, the figure is not that low
however. There are two reasons for this. The first is that DVD
mechanisms are intrisically higher producers of jitter than CD ones and
because the D/A stage of newer designs employ better error correction
than older units resulting in less requirement to keep the jitter at the
minimum.

Well, OK, but I'd still much rather have less jitter, and less error-correction! As Jan and others have posted - error correction may have a degrading effect on the final audio product. Sigh.

This also brings to the fore the postings of several Old Dawgs - that I should-uh got a stand-alone CD player instead of a universal one, based on the CA tech's comments that DVD electronics produce more jitter. Double sigh.

Oh, well - I'll let you know if I get the "jitters" when playing the DVD 87. . .

Going back to points raised by several of you: if I really want to reduce jitter, I've gotta be sure that a steady power source feeds the DAC in the player. Verne, in LA, has often chided me for not having a dedicated power circuit for the stereo gear. Sigh. Wish I could run such, but it would be both difficult and very expensive.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4188
Jan;- the latest Stereophile on the stands here is the April issue, and I can't find anything on the Apollo on the Sterophile web site. Is it the June issue?

Larry, Good luck! You will be one of the first with a DVD-87.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2584
Larry, your post makes perfect sense.
However, you got the features you required at a palatable price.
I wanted a Corvette, and got exactly what I expected from my Oldsmobile.

I doubt that the jitters will leave you a quiver.

Your choice of purchase makes perfect sense to me, and I am sure that you will be more than satisfied with the as advertised Olds.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1402
John A. - yeah, being "first" is not always my choice when it comes to new models of audio gear. Will see how this one works out!

Nuck: Hmmm - I once wanted an Olds 88. Never got one. Or a Corvette. Did get a Corvair, though! Which I loved. Which did not crash. Which Ralph Nader hated. Hmm. . .yep. (sorry, Kegger)

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8469

John - The article is in the June edition. There is also an article on rebuilding the original Quad which you might find semi-interesting. And Sam Tellig is off on black CD-R's and copying your CD's to get better sound. Bits is bits is a bit too much for Sam. Also, he mentions some CD copiers which sound intresting at some ridiculous and not so ridiculous prices. Worth taking a look.

Barnes and Noble's down here have Starbucks in the stores so you can "borrow" a magazine and read the articles of interest while having an overpriced caffeine fix. Somehow not buying the magazine while paying too much for the coffee seems to balance the astral planes just a tad to the right of Jerry Rubin's "Steal this Book".

I know this next bit should go somewhere else, but most of us can let a suggestion for music slip by when placed elsewhere on the forum. Therefore, let me suggest anyone interested in Blues pick up a copy of "Memphis Heat". If you can find it. I got my copy at a half price CD resale shop and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Another listen at 3 A.M. last night was a poor choice when you're trying to find some music to help you get to sleep, but an excellent choice for listening pleasure. The disc combines Memphis Slim, Canned Heat and the Memphis Horns. It was originally released as a LP wih the title "House of the Blues, vol. 7" on the Blue Star label. My copy is a CD from Verve with a catalog number 519 725-2. I make the suggestion based only on the quality of the music and not the recording. The soundstage is surprisingly large, extending well beyond the walls of my room, with appropriate depth and very good focus to the performers' placement. However, the overall recording is hampered by compressed dynamics, mono mixed bass and rolled off high frequencies. It's too bad because otherwise this is a blues disc that deserves to be played just slightly past clipping the amplifier. I have no idea whether the disc is still available but should you come across a copy, give it a try. If you like the blues, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 571
Seems you did well to get a copy seeing as it's been back ordered on cd universe since Nov '04.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6811105&style=music&cart=342647888 &BAB=E

Sounds like my cup of tea. I have stacks of blues cd's with artists backed by the Memphis Horns, one Memphis Slim and none by Canned Heat. Just got a Talking Heads DVD-A (+cd) and it is a great example of how the format beats RBCD hands down. It is also one of those discs that make choosing between DVD-A and SACD very difficult. Though some of their music, which I once loved, now seems a bit too "alternative" for me. How old I feel.

Kegger - good to see you back, you old dog you!

Larry - I saw your Cambridge DVD player in my local store and it seems like a decent, well built unit. The store owner piled on heaps of praise, but again, going by your prices it is way over priced here at $799. Given the exchange rate, the distributors here must be walking around with big fat wallets.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2591
Got a belly full o' blues at the Memphis show, Jan.Urp.
The ribs, fabulous music and big beer were a big seller.
I am ordering the disc right now.

Off topic again, the 'million dollar quartet' release I picked up is a jewel.
Jerry Lee, Johnny, Carl and 'the kid', is a trip back in time.
Awesome.
Sun Original Recordings, SNAD551CD

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1407
Jan: Think I wanna read that Stereophile, too - about the black disc-copies. . .

MR: Good to hear from you - and I know what you mean about price differentials - I found the player Online for $269 USD - when most places are charging $379 USD. Don't know the xchange rate, but $799 sounds like highway robbery!

Glad you liked the looks ("decent" can often be akin to "Oh, how, uh, interesting!" GRIN) Too bad you couldn't give it a listen. . .

Hope all is well. . .

Kegger - stay around.

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 573
And they keep saying SACD is dead . . .

From enjoythemusic.com

Chesky Records has announced a new jazz series called The New York Sessions. All titles in this series will be recorded in the acoustically superb St. Peter's Church, located in the heart of Chelsea, New York City. Celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2006, Chesky is one of the leading audiophile labels using state-of-the-art technology recording gear. Chesky Records goal is to have The New York Sessions preserve the sound of the greatest practitioners of American jazz while spotlighting new artists and opening new opportunities for this music. All New York Sessions titles will be released as aggressively priced hybrid SACDs. Each SACD title will have a compatible CD layer, as well as high definition stereo and multi channel versions for SACD players. The artwork for the series will feature New York's remarkable architecture and a new logo "Hi Def Jazz" will appear on the cover serving to identify these as Super Audio Compact Discs. Seven New York Sessions titles will be released this year with a significantly larger release schedule anticipated for 2007. The upcoming releases include:

July
David Hazeltine, George Mraz, with Billy Drummond Manhattan (SACD310)
John Abercrombie & Eddie Gomez with Gene Jackson Structures (SACD317)

August
Christian McBride Javon Jackson, Jimmy Cobb and Cedar Walton: Urban Archeology (SACD 314)
Larry Coryell, Lenny White and Victor Bailey (SACD322)

September
Hank Jones, Jimmy Cobb, Christian McBride West of Fifth (SACD313)
Nicholas Payton, Bob Belden, Sam Yahel, John Hart, Billy Drummond Mysterious Shorter (SACD321)

October
John Hicks, Buster Williams and Louis Hayes Tribecca Blues (SACD318)

Who is they?

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 574
Larry - just saw your pm. Will show sleeping beauty when she awakes. Thanks to you both.

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2718
I will try and stick around as much as I can, not as often as I use to though.

Rantz buddy good to hear from you as well, hope all is well.

Not the dreaded sacd is dead again crap! Well with all the titles out there plus
the over 100 I have, DOES it matter? Not to me, it could die tomorrow and I'm good!

To each there own I guess.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1408
MR: Good - give her a kiss for us'ns. BTW - I know exactly two of those musicians - no more than that. May need some "reviews" from the Dogs before I dip into that CD lineup!

Kegger: OK, hate to do it, but "yep" - the SACD list grows daily, despite the nay-sayers that seem to frequent most every magazine and newspaper. I don't know how much longer SACD will be around, but I have 47 of them, and plan on getting more as I go along.

I've determined the sound quality to be better than any Redbook CD I have, generally speaking. I'd say that I've only been disappointed on three or four SACDs - no more than that.

Hope to hear from SM again soon - we all miss her on the thread. Sanity in the mix is what we need.

An E-mail from audio-engineer Verne tonight - blasting me for not getting the HDMI version of the Cambridge Audio player. Sigh. I tried to explain to him that I'll only be using it on a 36-inch max LCD TV, and that I just don't think it's worth it. Can't sway him, though - think he's got his head where sun does not shine on this issue. . .I think maybe he's upset that I didn't get the Harman Kardon and opted for the Cambridge DVD 87. Hmm. . . ego, ego

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4190
Going back a few posts - thanks, Jan I'll certainly look out for June "Stereophile". Over here there is also a bookstore with on-board Starbucks; it is called "Borders".

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8475

Borders is owned by the Barnes and Noble parent company.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4191
Thought so. Thanks. There are still some independent book stores, as record stores, but the big chains usually win on price, and seem to be taking over.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3279
Here the Borders have Seattle's Best...yummy!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1412
Jan V. - Uh, sorry, old chap, but Barnes & Noble does not own Borders. B&N does own B. Dalton, however.

Borders and B&N are deadly rivals, and in no way connected under a corporate umbrella. Unless I've missed some very, very fine print. . .which is always possible at my age.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2613
You don't miss much, Larry.

BTW, Happy Birthday on Tuesday, if I can't stop by. 'It's just a lovely ride.'

'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1414
Nuck: Thank you, sir. Good thought, also. . .

Am measuring windows for hurricane shutters. Early estimates for cost - $2,500 USD. And this is if I drill and saw and, uh "use the screwdriver" and only buy the raw materials! Does this give you a picture of angst? Hmm. . .the Big Blow season comes June 1 - and Mer and I want to be a bit more ready this time around. Sigh.

One thing you don't have to worry about, Nuck!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2616
Indeed my friend.
If I had one more to worry about, I might go off.

Y'all don't have to worry about the snowstorms for 5 months either...trade-off.

Batten down them hatches!'but sir, we already battoned 'em down'.

Well batten 'em down again, we'll teach those hatches!

B.Bunny, 1946.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8480

I can't and won't testify to who owns who any longer, Larry. As Mr. Rumsfeld says, "Who knows?!"

In Dallas we have only Borders and Barnes and Nobles and one shop has replaced the other and vice versa. I thought I was told my B&N member's card would get me a discount at Borders also, but that may have been in one of my own private senior moments. Neither carries the magazines I'm interested in buying.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1415
To all: Just when you thought you'd read about every CD-improving "tweak" - well, here's another one for you! Read this'un and say "huh?" You be dah judge.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/nanotech/nespa.html

Think of it as cleaning a CD from the inside out and you will then go out and get a big glass-ah. I did. . .

Read on. . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 2620
Larry, there is some satisfaction in being able to shite out the X's name and all.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4192
I have mentioned my original Armstrong 600 series FM tuner and amp a few times on this thread. Yesterday I took the tuner in for service. It was bought about 27-28 years ago and is still in active service.

What pleasure to talk to the man who will do it, who designed the tuner, and now runs an audio and TV repair shop in Walthamstow, North London. "All old British equipment repaired". We talked for some time about the state of audio today, and how thing have changed since the days when Armstrong sold tens of thousands in UK, and had serious export markets, too.

He promises he can fix my amp, too, when I have it shipped over from where I used to live. I described the failure, in 1992, and he said he had a good idea what went wrong and how to put it right.

If anyone needs their services, there is a contact address on the Links and Contacts page of web site all about Armstrong:-

Armstrong Audio - The High Fidelity Sound.

There is a nice photo of my model of tuner and amp on that page.

The shop in Sweden, which made the amp worse for a huge fee, said they used to sell Armstrong. Pity they didn't learn how to service them. Wish I'd known, then, where to go.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8494

John - No one has ever told you where to go?

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4193
"....to get it fixed."

Yes, it has happened, on occasion, Jan.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2644
hehehe, Jan you opportunist...

Silver Member

Australia

Post Number: 576
I was told once. I almost became quite excited until I realised that getting there was a physical impossibility.

[grin]

Gold Member

Post Number: 2647
And can cause an old dog pains in following the advise.
Ow.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8495

"Jan you opportunist..."

Nuck, I just beat you to it.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8505

It never ends ...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/226885.html

Gold Member

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2726
OH JAN not again, the best subwoofer cable!

Johnny hope your tuner works out, got any decent stations where you are?

Larry when is that player suppose to be in?

Rantz you know where you can go, I mean where your suppose to be. :-)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1416
THE LIDDLE TOY THAT COULD;

This is the story of a small, light-weight piece of audio/video gear that adopted a Flawed-duh! family, and intends to stay and play.

The CA DVD-87 came in a plain brown wrapper, and when unpacked showed amazing lack of zip and sizzle. In fact, it was so lightweight that it's new master thought it might be a joke sent by Jan or My Rantz!

But once it was unpacked and humming along merrily on a countertop (where the master determined to "burn it in" for a few hours) the liddle silver player showed what it was made of, well, sorta. . .

Once the master took the bit in his teeth and ripped out the old Yamaha, things took on an upbeat attitude. Cable after cable was attached with great care, and use of a small mirror to determine accuracy of plug-placement.

Then - the moment of truth. In went a SACD, and in went the drawer. Nothing. Huh? Counting, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 - MUSIC! Seems that the 87 takes its time reading the disc - but nowhere near as long as the Yammie, which took more than 17 seconds before music began.

The master sat down in his squishy sofa, closed his eyes, and just let the music wash over him. "My," he said, "the instruments sound like, well, the real thing. And they are separated by nice, dark space!" There was, indeed, a realistic sound stage, and the piano and the cello and the rest of the instruments sounded just like the real thing, with woody overtones and all. . .hmm. . .

As cutsy and lightweight as it is, the DVD 87 is a fine piece of audio/video gear! Sound from the B&Ws has never been this good. Heck, I don't even need the sub for most things, the bass is that round and tight. Rather amazing.

Now there are a few quirks with this player. First, the display, blue as it is, uses a series of bars to form the letters and numbers - and when the display should read "stop," it reads S (6) o p. Drives me nutz, but I'll overlook it. They can't make a "T."

Also - the manual must have been written by a chimp on coffee break. Seldom have I read a more minimalist piece of junk. I went through it five times, and finally gave up - deciding to just push button after button and see what came up.

Well, after setting it back to "default" a couple of times, I got it (mostly) straight.

OK - I give the CD DVD 87 a 9 for overall fit and finish. A 6 for the display. A 10 for the overall sound quality so far. An 8-9 for video (but then I'm only running in composite). And a 2 or less for the dumb manual!

I'll keep it burning in for a day, and see what comes out of the unit after it limbers up.

Thanks for listening. . .LR

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8509

Sounds like it fits you to a "T", Larry. Well, actually to a "6".

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4195
Kegger - Yep, lots of stations. The cross-talk between 'em was the problem, and the guy says he can improve that. Radio is going digital here. I thought I'd get my FM tuner done before they turn off the analogue stations. After that I'll just look at my nice old tuner, and wonder where the years went. Or get an iPod FM broadcast device (iTrip?) just so it has something to do.

Jan - you are winding that poor guy up. Have a heart. It think it was Rick who hoped Old Dogs would be a subwoofer-cable-free-zone.

Larry - sounds good. 6his separa6ion with nice dark space - are you running i6 in s6ereo?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1418
John A. - very clever, sir! I've been experimenting, and, with Mer's golden-ears help, have determined a couple of things.
First - the "regular" CDs sound better when I play them with the 7.1 SACD channels, instead of the digital out from the player. I guess the DAC is better in the CA than in the NAD?

Second - I'm somewhat stumped as to why the music from the new player is so "natural" compared with the Yammie. Instruments are delineated, and sound like "live" instruments. There are layers of sound that I never heard before. Take, for example, the excellent Jim Hall album "Concierto." There are rhythm instruments in the background that were just never there before! Rather unsettling to hear what I thought was background silence!

The B&Ws simply shine with this player! Never, never have I gotten such sound out of them! Mer came in this afternoon to pronounce that, while she could not label the sound "better," she could label the sound "realistic and natural." Good enough!

John, when I play the Redbook CDs they are in stereo 2-channel - the SACDs, of course, are in 5-channel - BUT - I keep the surrounds down low for everything except movies and DVD shows.

Mer and I watched/listened to Dianoa Krall: Live in Paris this afternoon - and in DTS surround it was simply stunning. We sat there and soaked up the sounds - some of which simply did not come through on the Yammie! Amazing to us!

Now the player has some faults. First, it does not have settings for crossover to subwoofer. It just says "set the speakers on small and the sound will rollover to the sub at some point." Hmm. . .I need to know this! So - I've set the crossover point on the receiver to 80 Hz - and hope that it will be OK.

I wish I could say that this player looks like a million bucks, but it does not. Oh, the finish is nice, but there is an overall "mid-price" look about it. CA obviously put all its money on the innards! Which, as Jan has told me many times, is good!

Late this afternoon the sound sorta loosened up, and the Concierto CD sounded even more full and warm. Hmm. . .I'm letting the disc repeat through the evening, and will post more later tonight if I hear anything that's important.

I'm beginning to see what many reviewers are saying: the CD is not dead, but merely needs some improvements in production and reproduction. If the CA unit is any indication, some companies are on the right track!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3296
Congrats Larry. I'm very pleased that you are enjoying your new player. Viva la CD!!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1419
Art: thanks - I just spent a bit of time with the player again, and I'm still very pleased with its performance. I do have issues, though - and I'm e-mailing the company with my concerns about such things as bass management and crossover points. Plus - they desperately need a new writer for their manual!

The player seems a fine companion to both the NAD amp and the B&W speakers - as I posted before, I've never heard the 705s sound this good!!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4197
It's good to read this, Larry.

Well done.

So, a "universal" gives good CD performance, too.

It is always a pleasure, and a surprise, to hear new things in familar material.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us