STF-1 vs Athena ASP4000

Username: Ward2400

Post Number: 8
I am looking at building a 3.1 system used 75% movies 25% music with the following equipment:

panny sa-xr57
cbm-170se (front left, right and center)

I am wondering what people think about the STF-1 sub vs the Athena ASP4000 with the above set-up.

Thanks for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1561
In Canada, the Canadian Athena sub sells for the same price as the STF-1 (C$400). I should tell you to buy Canadian to help my economy, but the truth is I bought a Hsu STF-3 myself. On paper, the Athena looks better than the STF-1. But I'd wager that bass tighness would be better on the Hsu, but unfortunately I haven't heard either of these subs. Eric Ramsey has that Athena sub. Ask him about it.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 469
DMW: The Athena is an inexpensive sub, but decent for the money,I think they are about $300 US and even cheaper online. One thing is for sure, the Athena is a hell of alot better than the KLH piece of crap that it replaced in my system. If you can afford the HSU, however go for it as it is a better sub than the Athena.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4146
audioadvisor.com has the P4000 for $150 plus shipping.

However you can get an STF-1 b-stock from hsuresearch.com for maybe $225 plus shipping (call them direct). I tend to think that extra $100 would probably be worth it.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1583
Quite interesting that you get Canadian speakers for less than half the price in the US compared to Canada.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000F S10062281&catid=

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 25
Can't you buy it from Amazon and get it shipped to Canada? In USA it costs $149.97 including shipping!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009WRUZ2

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2873
SA, to bring in from the US, first the exchange(11% at the moment).
Then the import fees at the border(6%).
Shipping might get to the border, but shipping is extra inside Canada.
Then add 15%tax on the whole lot.

'Free' health care indeed!

Bronze Member
Username: Serniter

Piscataway, New Jersey USA

Post Number: 30
Prices on HSU subwoofers seem lower than usual today .. $30 off STF-1 and $40 off STF-2 :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us