Harman Kardon 3480 / Now which Speakers for Music ?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3858
I just bought the HK 3480.

I am looking for a pair of speakers for music in my basement which is about 20 x 20.

I listen to mostly Rap, Rock, Dance, 80's.

Im on a budget of $300 and need it to sound good and hit the lows.

Bronze Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 26
300 is a bit tight, but I would say the Athena B1.2 bookshelf (120) and AS-P4000 sub (150) from audio advisor.

Congrats on the purchase btw. I just got the 3380 for myself.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3859
Thanks stephen, congrats to you aswell.

Edster recommended me the HK 3480 but i listen to alot of rap and dance/electronic music and want it to sound great in my 20x20 room. Not sure what speakers whould work well with this amp since its 120 rms x 2. I rather not add a subwoofer to this setup unless i have to.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
That receiver will handle just about anything you throw at it. In that price bracket though, there are precious few floorstanders (if any) that are built with any kind of quality. If you bumped it up another 100, you could get the Athena F2.2, which would do a respectable job, but I doubt it would give you more bass and quality than the option I posted above for $100 less. Another option might be one of Fluance's floorstanders (www.fluance.com). They're reputed to be of resonable quality, although I can't vouch for that personally. The SV-10 does run at 299, which would meet your budget needs quite well.

Is there a particular reason you don't want a sub though?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4133
MO,

If you are dead set against adding a subwoofer, look at the Athena F2.2s from audioadvisor.com for $400 shipped --- that extra $100 will be worth every penny.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3860
I bought them and they sound great but i returned them since they have a 30 return policy. Just was'nt patient enough to use them with the HK 3480. Returning them was a pain man. lol but i will be getting $400 back.

They sounded very clean and bright/crisp but i want somthing for everyday music listening that is'nt as big as those Athena's and whould fit my current setup as seen in the picture here with strong bass and punch and clean sounding. Here is my old system. Its a package setup that my dad bought back in 1989 and this system sounds amazing for music but the only problem is that the speakers have been damaged back when i had a little brother and the subwoofer is damaged but still plays and sounds good but not like it once was. I was planning to swap out the reciever for the HK-3480 and swap out those old speakers for some new ones that whould work well. The old reciever i have is also playing louder on the left side then the right side. Those speakers are 3 way setup and come with like a 10 or 12" sub on each one.

Here is my current old system.

Upload

I plan to eventually swap out the 5 disc carousol for the Marrantz cc4300 Ed mentioned.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4137
That was a very hasty return which I'm afraid you will regret since $300 for a pair of towers is not going to get you anything of the F2s' quality.

Guess you could do worse than these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Monitor-50-home-audio-speakers_W0QQitemZ9735911540QQihZ 008QQcategoryZ71571QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Post Number: 4138
These are quite good and deliver surprisingly decent bass for a bookshelf but you'll need to check out the seller, I have no experience with them:

http://800stereohometheater.stores.yahoo.net/di82mospwimo.html

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1565
Try putting some space between those speakers! There's no way to get a soundstage that way.

You'll be glad you tried.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3861
So Athena F2.2's are the best speakers for the HK 3480 amp for the price ? What about other options that are as good ? B&W's or Klipsh or somthing ?

Im looking for 2 towers or bookshelfs that will give me as good bass output and clean sound as the sony's i have in the picture. If i could even find these sony's in great condition i whould get them on ebay in a heart beat. Just very hard to find this model SS-U530 speakers. They are clean and loud and dont distort at high volume. Very good bass response with the rear port.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4140
I have not heard your Sony speakers in particular so I will not comment on them other than to report that generally Sony is not exactly famous for sound quality even by low-fi budget standards.

The only people who ever praise Sony is Consumer Reports, whose top rated floorstanders are:

1. Sony SS-MF750H
2. Cerwin Vega E-710
3. Polk Audio R30
4. Jensen Champion Series C-5
5. Polk Audio R50
6. Bose 601
7. Bose 701

(Let's just say that CR is good for shopping cars and toaster ovens.)

I also have doubts about what B&Ws can be had in your price range other than used ones. And $300 Klipsch speakers would be of the Best Buy Synergy series which are definitely inferior to the F2s.

Your F2s probably sounded bad with the Sony system you have because (aside from Peter's excellent point about speaker placement) it was underpowered by the Sony receiver, which probably claims at least 80wpc and actually puts out maybe 25 on a good day and is already pretty bright. My guess is that the Sony floorstanders probably sounded good with the Sony setup because they were designed to be powered by a real-world 25wpc and probably had a sizable mid-bass hump to mask the low current input.

Right now if I were you I'd look at a bookshelf like the Wharfedale 8.2 that I linked to, or some Internet-direct speakers like the Onix XL-S, BIC Acoustech, SDAT, HTD, etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Now if you aren't afraid of used speakers, something like a pair of large Advents or KLH Model 6's might be right up your alley. They can usually be had for ~100-~200 on ebay depending on condition, etc and will do a pretty solid job sonically.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3862
Edster, how does those Cerwin Vega party speakers compare to the rest ?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3863
Thanks guys, stephen i noticed you live in silver spring. Im in gburg.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Cool, I work over in that area, off Shady Grove Rd.

Now, I've got some questions for you, given your responses, etc. What will you be listening to on these speakers? How much 'critical' listening will you be doing with these? What do you listen for in judging whether a speaker is good or not?

Answering these q's will help me get a better feel for what your needs are, and let me adjust my suggestions accordingly. I still think my sub/bookshelf combo from the beginning would be best though, as far as output/quality/bang for the buck go.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3864
I will be listening to RAP mostly, Electronic music like the prodigy, and chemical brothers. I dont like bright speakers but like them to be clean as possible with good tight bass response with the ability to handle rap and make you hear and feel it. Like be able to drop really low and hit the mids nice. Just want the best set i can get for $300-400 off that HK 3480

Username: Raogorantla

Post Number: 1
Hi all! I know you guys are doing a terrific job of helping others. Is there anyone who can help me in getting me new keys for my Viewsat 2000 Extreme? Newbie

Gold Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 1013
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/35.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
In this case, I would suggest looking at Klipsch. Some would describe them as bright, and others as "detailed". However, when paired with a warmer receiver like the HK, they tend to sound just right. I tend to think of them as hi-fi's version of Cerwin Vega. They have the ability to go extremely loud thanks to the horn loaded design, they are very dynamic, and while not necessarily as detailed in this price bracket as Athena, they do a respectable job, better than many others.

However, there is a problem in the price area. Yes you could pick up a pair of their bookshelves new, and be within your price limit. But I doubt these would give you the bass response you seek. However, there is ebay, where you could probably find something pretty neat.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4141
> Edster, how does those Cerwin Vega party speakers compare to the rest ?

They're party speakers. Plenty of volume and bass (albeit sloppy thudding bass) and fine if you don't listen closely but just want to get up and shake your boody.

Another speaker, far more refined, to look at is the Energy C-3. It's being cleared out right now so should go for $200-300/pair.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3865
Seems like it always gets narrowed down back to the Athena f2.2's and the Klipsh f3 towers for the best bang for your buck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
My personal option was to go with a pair of speakers called Alegria Audio Emma's by a guy who posts on here named Tim Forman. They are a mid to large sized bookshelf speaker that are reputed to have a whole lot of bass capability, while retaining good quality sound in a small package. I havn't received them as of yet, but I got mine b-stock in a walnut finish for 499. If you're interested in something like that, I could definately give you my impressions, and if you want, give you an audition.

Their one drawback is that theyre relatively inefficient, but your receiver should be more than sufficient to drive them to a "resonable" volume.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3866
OK so with my budget of $300-400. Ive decided to stick with bookshelves to get the most out of this. I have heard people recommend the onyx XLS and athena B2.2 etc.. What whould be the best bookshelf for my price range to go with the HK-3480.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
I would say the Onix of those two. Looks to be better built by far, although it gives up a marginal amount of bass response and sensitivity to the Athena. It also doesn't look to be too bad of a load to drive for your receiver.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3867
Have any links where i can find these for a good price or even authorized dealers.

I know audio advisor had the best price on the Athena f2.2's and they were authorized.

Im trying to decide on one of the bookshelf speakers and maybe add a sub next.

So a 2.1 seteup eventually since bookshelves seem to not have enough bass down low.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3868
What do you guys think about the CBM-170 SE BOOKSHELF MONITOR ?

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

compared to the others in its price range for music.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3869
Im deciding between the CBM-170 SE, Paradigm Espirit v.3, Mirage Omni 50

I hear the paradigm espirit v.3 has stronger bass response and the cbm-170 se is better off matched with a quality subsoofer.

The price for a pair CBM-170 SE is $348 and im not sure if that inludes shipping.

If i did go with this set then i whould def add one of these subwoofers

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/subs/subintro.html

What do you guys think whould be my best bet ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Eddie I know loves the Ascends, as do a number of people. I doubt you would go wrong with any of the choices you listed though. For your listening habits though, I would tend to stick with something like the Athena from audioadvisor.com or a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers and save up cash for a good subwoofer.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3870
also the paradigm espirit v.3 is compared to the athena f2.2's and ascends. If i do get the ascends then ill get a subwoofer with them. Which klipsh bookshelfs ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6780708&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03043&id=1091101345720

There are a few reasons why I feel these might be better for you than Ascends/Paradigm/etc.

1. From the musicical selection and previous components you owned, you don't seem like the type that will be critically evaluating his music, eg you won't be sitting in a darkened room, straining to hear every last note, thinking that the cello is a little off in timbre. As a result, significantly more accurate speakers, like the Ascends, would largely not be needed.

2. Klipsch speakers tend to provide a good mix of accuracy as well as the ability to party. As I said before, Klipsch is more or less hi-fi's version of Cerwin Vega.

3. Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient/sensitive, meaning they need less power to drive them to a certain volume than most other speakers in their class. Compared to the speakers I purchased, the speakers I am suggesting to you will need nearly a 10th less power to drive them than what I am obtaining. In other words, your amp might be loafing along at 8 watts to supply the needed power to the Klipsch speakers, while mine will be maxing out at 80 for that same volume.

4. Klipsch speakers are known for dynamics. They are pretty punchy little SOB's, and I generally think they will fit your musical tastes well.

The main weakness Klipsch speakers are known for is being bright. However, with your receiver tending to be on the warm side, I doubt it will be a big issue.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3871
That makes sense stephen.

Before making my final selection.

How do you think the Athena B2.2 compares to the Klipsh Bookshelf ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Somewhat more accurate at the expense of a little efficiency and some dynamics. Its definately a good speaker, and I don't think you would go wrong with it either. I just don't see a point in something like the Ascend/Paradigm/etc when for your musical tastes a sub would be a much better spot to put the cash.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3872
Remember i have the HK 3480 that does 120 x 2 rms. Will this power be to much for these speakers ?

Which subwoofer should i pair up that whould be best for music ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
You won't have any problems with the receiver/speaker combo so long as you don't let it distort from either clipping (the receiver running out of power) or the speakers themselves reaching their physical limits. With your receiver and these speakers, we're talking about some pretty damned high volume levels before you would run into trouble.

As far as the subwoofer, it depends on how much you want to spend, but some ideas are the Klipsch Sub 10/12, the SVS-ISD 10, or the HSU STF-2 or 3.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3873
Im just not set on the Klipsh Bookshelves for the price bestbuy sells it for. I believe the Athenas,paradigms and ascends will beat them at that price point. I may end up going with the paradigms or ascends at this rate and add a subwoofer later.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Well, like I said, Ascend and Paradigm are a waste in my opinion. With Athena and $400, you could get the B1.2 bookshelf (120) and the AS-P6000 sub (250). In terms of accuracy, bass, and all that good stuff, you'll be hard pressed to beat it for the money, or anywhere close really.

However, I still feel that with your musical tastes, Klipsch might be a better fit; but I'm not going to force it down your throat either.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3874
I really appreciate your advise. I whould like to get Edster's final opinion before i make up my mind.

This is for my bedroom which is 20 x 20 give or take a few. Its going to be powered off a HK 3480 at 120 x 2. I plan to run either a 2 speaker setup or a 2.1 with a sub.

Let me know ed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4145
If $400 is your absolute max then I have to agree with Stephen's last rec for the B1.2 + ASP6000.

I'd definitely take the Ascends over the Paradigms and Klipsch but Stephen makes a good point about your musical tastes and listening habits, plus the Ascends will definitely require a sub which would push you well over your budget. However you could call Ascend directly and ask if they have any b-stock 170s and how much they'd cost.

The Alegria Emmas would be an excellent choice and require no sub at all for music, though you would have to place them at least 2 feet (preferably 3) from the front wall, plus they are $500 b-stock to begin with.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3875
What is b-stock ? refurbished ? / I really like the reviews that Ascends are getting and they just seem to be amazing bookshelfs for the price so im thinking about getting those if they are that obviously better then the Athena B1.2.

I can add the sub later and go from there. Besides the Ascends can handle the power i have with the 3480 much better since its rated upto 200 continous.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4149
b-stock can be either refurb, blemished or customer returned for whatever reason, just means it's been opened and used before not brand new. My Ascends were b-stock and I had to really look hard to find some very subtle imperfections on the side of one cabinet.

The thing about the Ascends and especially the 170SEs is that they will definitely push you to get the sub ASAP, especially with your musical tastes and being used to those Sony speakers.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3876
Ed, i recieved the HK 3480 today and it is in mint condition refurbished unit. I paid $200 for it shipped. There is not a single scratch on it. Only thing i noticed was it came with a 3380 manual instead of 3480.

My speakers really came to life vocally and liver but the subs are damaged so i really need to get some new speakers to replace them.

What do you think whould be a great replacement for the speakers you see in the picture that will be good for what i need off HK 3480?

Upload

These sony towers are 37" tall so somthing close to these that match up nice with the HK 3480 for music.

I am also considering the ascend bookshelfs but i whould need stands for them to look nice with the rest of the system other wise i may just get floor standing speakers that whould blend in well with the current setup.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4161
I'm tellin' ya, returning those F2s is something you are going to regret for a long time. Colorwise they would've matched the HK too, lol.

btw if you were planning on putting any new speakers just 3-4 feet apart like in the photo then you're really shooting yourself in the foot.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3877
I was plannning to seperate the speakers 8'ft apart.

Yeah i do regret sending the F2.2's back. Ok do you think i should go with the ascends and get a subwoofer to match and if so which sub for this 20x20 room. Otherwise can you suggest another setup that whould be great for my use of the hk 3480.

The HK really has brought out every detail in the music and is much liver. Female voices sound so real now but to bad the sony speakers are way to old and beat up.

I cant wait to get some speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4163
If you don't want to re-order the F2s (which I understand would be a little embarassing for me too) then you'd have to be prepared to seriously increase your budget in order to get the Ascend 170s *and* a decent sub.

Possibilities:

Mirage S12, $400 shipped from vanns.com (comparable to the $600 Hsu STF-3)

Athena AS-P6000, $250 from audioadvisor.com (You could try the smaller AS-P4000 for $150 from the same place, they might be OK for music if placed in a corner.)

Hsu STF-2 b-stock, about $350 shipped from hsuresearch.com ($425 shipped new)

btw if you like how the HK sounds now, wait until you hook them up to the Ascends! Here's a review someone wrote comparing the 2, though different models:

http://swbg1.tripod.com/ascend_speakers.htm

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3878
Out of those, which one is best for music ?

Which one is best for music and movies ?

Which one is best for movies ?

I whould hate to spend over $300 for a home subwoofer.

Bad enough that i recently bought 2 JL 10w6v2's for my car and you know those arent cheap..

Gold Member

Post Number: 4168
with a 20x20 room, the S12 would be your best all-around choice --- you wouldn't have any urge to upgrade for many many years.

STF-2 second, then P6000 = good for both music/HT

P4000 = smaller size, should be ok for music but not real good for movies for lack of loudness

The JLs are nice speakers, esp. with an external amp rather than running off the head unit.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3881
I dont like the looks of the S12 but im sure it performs nice. Ill have to think about it but its going to be between the STF-2 and S12 and then P6000.

No kidding, i have a external Arc Audio 1500-XXK amp thats doing 900 rms x 1 @ 4 ohm bridged which works out perfect for 2 10w6v2's dual 4 ohm voice coils so it finally wired for a 4 ohm final impedence to match the amp. I cant wait to start on the box. Im planning to go sealed or ported and its going in a 98 camry. Not sure yet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4172
Yeah those photos aren't very good. Here's some better ones:

http://www.miragespeakers.com/omnis12.shtml

Looks great, IMHO ... of course I always have the grille on. Nice thing about a sidefiring sub (the others discussed are downfiring) is that you can turn it in different directions if you want to experiment, I find that for HT having the driver face into the front wall instead of at the listening position creates more room reinforcement. First time I did this, while watching "Batman Begins" the walls started shaking so much that my wall clock fell off the wall!

Needless to say the wife was less than thrilled, lol.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3884
I whould want the grill on to cover the sub.

lol, dont know to many women that whould be thrilled... lol

Decisions Decisions...

So Far:

- HK 3480

- Ascend CBM-170 SE

- STF-2 or Mirage S-12

I didnt see a refurb or bstock ascends on there site and the price is $348 and im not sure if that includes shipping.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4177
with both Ascend and Hsu, you have to call them to get B-stock availability/pricing.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3886
Edster, which floorstanding speaker whould you recommend that whould fit my music needs best. I listen to mostly rap and electronic type music. It whould be nice if i dont have to buy extra subwoofer for it.

I was looking at the Cerwin Vega stuff but maybe you can help me find somthing like this that will be a great match.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4180
sorry, you already had the ideal floorstander in your price range. You'll either have to reorder it or settle for a CV.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3887
Thanks Ed,

Which CV though off the HK ?

Have you heard the CV's ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4188
Only heard the E715, the CLSC series is supposedly much better.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3888
How does it sound with club type music, rap, etc...

I have never heard these and not sure where to buy the CL series since they is'nt any dealers around.

You know a good site to get these from ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
That would be CV's forte. JR.com carries them, and I highly recommend them. When I ordered my receiver + dvd player from them, I received it the next day via UPS ground.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3889
Im looking for the CLS-12 12" 3-Way Tower but having trouble finding it. That is what is peaking my interest the most.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3890
www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3963421

Im looking for that same model in the 12". It drops to 28hz instead of the 38hz of the 10" model.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
It looks like the CLSC line is actually discontinued/replaced by the CLS line (although I could be mistaken, but the CLSC line is listed in the discontinued section on cv's website).

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=gHQv*OMGxMM&subid=&offerid=101744.1&type=10&tmpid=25&RD_PARM1=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.jr.com%252FJRProductPage.process?Product=4082102

This is the 12" model of the CLS line, although its on pre-order status currently. You might check out other sites and see what they have to offer since they'll be clearing out their stock.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3891
Thanks stephen, you are right. I just checked the CV site.

I wonder what the actual RMS rating is on these models so that i can match it up with my 120 watt HK 3480 amp.

Whould you know ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Don't worry about it, there is no bonus for matching the numbers. They'll take a boatload of power, and they're extremely efficient. As one poster here once said, CV's could be powered by a potato. Your receiver will drive them to volumes so high, you would likely go deaf if you listened to it for any extended period of time.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3892
I emailed CV about the older CLSC-12 12" 3-Way Tower since i like the look of them better along with there ability to drop down to 28hz vs. 32hz with the new one.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3894
It must be a mistake on www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4082102

because at www.cerwin-vega.com the specs say 28hz-20khz instead of 32hz-20khz like on the jr.com site.

I guess ill get the new versian. Either get it from www.buy.com or www.jr.com

not sure where else.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
In reality 4Hz isnt going to make a great deal of difference either way. The only reason I would consider the older series is you might find a good price on them.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3895
Having a hard time finding the older series especially in the 12" versian. Im pretty sure it will make a differance going from the 10's to the 12's. What do you think ?

The 12's can play lower freq.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
You could probably get away with the 10", but yeah you would probably be happier with the 12.

Something you might consider is looking on ebay for what you seek. I also noticed some vintage CV's on there, which tend to be a little better built than the stuff they put out today. There were a couple pairs of DB-9s and some AT-15s on there when I checked. They also have the CLSC 15 for 225 apiece.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3898
Thanks Stephen, here is the email i got back from ascendacoustics about the CBM-170 SE b-stocks.

Hi Suleman,

Hope you had a nice weekend!

1pr B-stock CBM-170 SE = $306.24 + $20 ground shipping...

Take care and please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Good Sound To You!
ASCEND ACOUSTICS, INC.

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us