Graduating from receiver to amp - Advice?

Username: Pointe

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 1
After many years of enjoyment, I've decided to invest in a serious upgrade.

My system is:
NAD 705 Receiver (about 10+ yrs old, 40 Wpc)
PSB Century 300 bookshelfs
I mostly listen to SACD on my Sony DVP-NS900v
http://www.laaudiofile.com/dvpns900v.html (in case you're not familiar, I think it's a great mid-fi player that even adds a little to regular CDs)

I'm thinking of using my NAD as a preamp only and jumping into a Bryston power amp. I would upgrade my speakers to some towers, likely staying with PSB. If I can find a deal on some Silvers, I might be able to afford it all. Otherwise, the Image series is more in my range.

I have a preference for Canadian stuff (I want to see the industry survive here) and it can be really difficult for me to test stuff. Dealers are limited here. I trust PSB, I like the rich sound I have and I think the NAD will last as a pre-amp for a while, until I upgrade again.

Advice?

I really respect the advice you've lent others...

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2817
Geoff, hold tight and my silvers will be available in a couple of months.
Send me a PM from Ottawa(no not Harper, hehe), I'll give you the details.

The Bryston should be clear and uncluttered and a very good choice. Which model of Bryston and what do you listen to and at what volumes?

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 167
The nad as a pre would be the weak link in your new system. How about staying in the bryston family and looking at their integrated amps , the b-60 or b-100.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2824
If Geoff likes the Nad sound, a Bryston amp won't discolor the sound at all, just amplify it.
Another combo, Bryston included, will change the sound that Geoff hears now.
So will the new speakers, but, as usual, hearing is believing before shelling out the bucks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2825
Geoff, I also run a century 200ci center channel speaker, and it is one of my favorite speakers ever.
It just never quits on music, the ports huff and puff, but do not make any noise.Lovely.

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 2
I'm looking for more 'truth' in the music. I think that this is what I will get with more power. I could never fault the sound of my NAD, just that some of the details didn't punch through.

I know that my Centuries don't have much more to offer. They're tryin pretty hard as it is to deliver on the depth in certain recordings.

But I like the flavour of the PSBs and I'm afraid that my ear is so used to them that I won't like anything else.

If there is still any truth in the old "separates are better than combos" belief, I'd hate to throw away a working pre-amp that I have on hand.

But do you think that I'm really going to hear limitations in the NAD with more power and towers that can take it?

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 3
another thought:

A couple of years ago I tested out a new NAD integrated model with more power . It was at that point that I decided to save up for a serious jump.

The integrated was rated around 100Wpc versus my 40Wpc but I could notice no difference in a side by side test.

Is this what I'm in for if I go to a Bryston with 100Wpc?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2837
The Nad integrated @100w and you noticed no big difference? Odd.
Was the test with your century's? They may have run out of gas. Also bear in mind that your 40w Nad is better than just that number.
As well, if you heard on the Psb's, they are notorious for mood and impedence swings, and the integrated may have disagreed, or your little guy had no arguements with the proposition.
Remember that a doubling of power will typically deliver a modest 3db of volume.

I think the Bryston will deliver as advertised, the ones I have heard are very throaty and sound nice with Boston's and Wilson Maxx, as well as Puppies.

Username: Nina

anybody has newkeys for dishnetwork

Username: Sunny1342

Any help about Fortecstar liftime Ultra bin and key would be appriciated!!

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 11
Update: I ordered a Bryston 2B SST

It's on back order, which means that they're basically hand building one just for me...

I'll get it in two to three weeks. At that point, I'll compare my dealer's limited stock and try to pick between PSB T45s and Revel F12s.

I listened to some Energy RC-30s. They didn't thrill me, but if the PSBs disappoint, I may give them another listen.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3385
Congrats on your new Bryston, they make a great product.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2984
Well done, Geoff.
If you connect the Bryston to the Revel speakers and a nice pure source, I think Psb is gonna lose a sale!

Keep us informed, please.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1451
Geoff

I wish I'd come into this conflab earlier (I missed it). I see no mention of your sources. Garbage in=garbage out and this applies more strongly as you upgrade systems. If your source isn't up to scratch there's little point in amplifying a broken signal really well...

In my experience, most amps suffer most from ropey preamps. Take some of the lower level NAD amplifiers for example, such as the 352. Excellent power which can drive quite difficult loads, but the preamp doesn't let through the detail and the pace. Preamps are more often than not the source of most ills. Power amps only cause problems when there is a mismatch because the speakers are too difficult to drive, or they're so sensitive they expose the power amp's noise floor.

Don't get me wrong, improving the power amp will give you benefits, but preamps are where it's at most of the time. Now you've ordered your power amp and by your own admission you really love the speakers you've got, so why not consider doing the job properly and go for a better preamp? As to the separates issue, first of all your NAD is not a preamp - it's only acting as one. The reasons for having separate preamp and power amp are mainly down to noise. Power amps have high value (electrically) components which are inherently noisier than you would wish in the same box as the preamp. However, the landscape has changed in the last ten years. It's become quite popular to have quite highly priced integrated amplifiers in the range. It's now quite uncommon to find pre/power combinations below the $1500 mark (all the rage back in the 80s), and there are quite a few $5000 integrated amps around. They have managed to clean up the amplifier environment and provide better value in the single box nowadays.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 12
Valuable input.

The crux of building hi-fi systems is always the method. Everybody has a different path to their pleasure. Luckily, this is also why the hobby is so enjoyable and forums like this one exist.

In my case the question is, what's the best path from what I have today towards a greatly improved system tomorrow? In other words, what are the steps, and in what order do I take them.

It can be really pricey to notch each piece of your system up everytime you want better sound. The alternative is to play leapfrog. Many people suggested getting a nice integrated amp. Others would suggest constantly buying new gear and ditching the old stuff on ebay, etc (at a huge loss everytime - because I like buying new stuff). I think the latter is a waste of money and, besides, I tend to build slowly and patiently.

I heard arguments from all angles; no matter which leap I suggested first, someone would tell me what my weakness would then be. So a chain will always have a weak link until the entire chain is replaced, and then you just have a new weak link.

My last upgrade was my SACD player. I couldn't afford more than $1000, and it wasn't worth it because it would have been out of its class in my system.

In my current situation, there is no way to improve just my pre-amp, which is where you're suggesting the most glaring weakness will be. Once I have separate power, then I can look for a really nice pre. And that will be a really fun search....

Thanks again.

Feel free to offer suggestions on my next step. I have about $1000+ to spend. If I buy a pre amp, my little bookshelf speakers will be really stretched. If I buy speakers I'll be hearing the limitations of the NAD 'quasi-pre-amp'.

One final consideration: when I first got into hi-fi, the fact that my NAD 705 offered 'pre-amp' capability was a huge selling point. I would really like to think that the 705 deserves better than going to the curb, and that my original plan wasn't flawed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us