Another First Set-up Requiring Advice_Probelm is I live in the Philippines and I can't get local help

Username: Yogibear

Post Number: 1
As mentioned, I am a Newb looking to buy my first ever home set-up.

RECEIVER & SPEAKER ADVICE
Grateful for your advice. I am looking, based on local availability, for a mid-range 6.1 / 7.1 receiver together with mid-range speakers within USD1000.

The first point I need to make is I live in the Philippines. However, electronics are fairly widely available at a slightly higher price on average, however with little expert advice.

I have looked and looked and identified several options in the local stores. Some are packages, some I can mix-and-match.

This is what I have found so far...
RECEIVERS

DENON AVR-1905 + SYS-905HT + DSW-65S PACKAGE (49,500 P or approx. USD1000)
DENON AVR-2105 (27, 500 P or app. USD USD550 -- no speakers)
PIONEER VSX 515S (19,990 P or approx. USD400)
PIONEER VSX 815S (23,990 P or approx. USD480)
YAMAHA RX-V457 (15,500P or approx. USD 310)
YAMAHA RX-V657 (30,000 P or approx. USD 600)
HARMAN KARDON AVR-135 + JBL SCS-188 PACKAGE (49,990 P or approx. USD1000)

SPEAKERS
Other speaker brands that appear to be available include:
Klipsch
DynAudio
Infinity
JBL
Wharfedale
Denon

I have listened to the JBL and the Denon package speakers -- they sound great (to an non-audiophile)
I looked further into prices for the Wharfedale range

e.g. Diamond 9 Series DFS (5,000 P pair or approx. USD 100)
Diamond 9.6 (18,500 P pair or approx. USD370)
Diamond 9CM (6,500 P pair or approx. USD 130)
Diamond SW-150 (9,500 P or approx. USD190)

Or

Following recommended for use with YAMAHA RX-V457
Diamond 9.4 (10,000 P pair or approx. USD200)
Diamond 9 CS (5000 P pair or approx. USD 100)
Diamond 9SR (4,500 P pair or approx. USD 90)
Diamond SW-150 (9,500 P or approx. USD190)

Essentially I am getting lost in all of the options available. I have looked at reviews as many of the receivers and speakers as possible, and now I feel more confused than ever.

What do I want from the system:
I would like to connect a computer to the Receiver for up-conversion from 2 channel input to 5-7 channel output for music and videos. Music will primarily come from the computer or an iPod, and DVD's played from the computer.

Other information:
My living room is not big (although don't have the dimensions on me) therefore I don't require too much power output. I like the mid-night options that some of the receivers offer with regard to listening to movies quietly; I also want to listen to music and feel truly immersed in the studio. As I am not an expert, I also like the functionality of auto-set-up.
I guess I don't need HDMI output -- since most of these mid-ranges don't have that as an option anyway; however I want the option to diversify my set-up later. Perhaps plug in a PS3 or Xbox as well as a HDMI DVD player. I will also be connecting to the latest Samsung 32" LCD TV so I want the capacity to up-sample.

Very grateful if someone can point me in the right direction, be it someone I can speak to locally, or a recommended way of comparing my options, or a simple recommendation.

Thankyou for your help!

Cheers
yogibear

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8193
Since you are in the Philippines, you may want to check this out

http://www.pi.alegriaaudio.com/

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4078
wow, those receiver prices suck but the Wharfedale prices are amazing...$200 for a pair of Diamond 9.4s, are you sure that's not a typo?

Generally speaking, I would avoid packaged speakers.

With your usage I'd buy a pair of Diamond 9.1s (or 9.2s) for your mains, the Diamond 9 CS, a pair of of the 9SRs, and the sub. Whatever's left over, I would put into the receiver...the Diamonds being on the warmish side I'd probably choose the Denon 2105.

Those Alegria speakers that Berny linked to are wonderful but IMHO would require better amplification than what you're looking at.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Berny for the link. I'll find out where they are - they may have some other info and products available.

I hear you about the price of the receivers. And the cost of the Wharfedales - from what I have seen on the web - I also learnt that Wharfedale products should have a serial numbers on the side. Thought I would go back to the store, get a serial number, then write to Wharfedale and see if they are genuine. You get lots of counterfeits this side of the world.

I note with the Denon 2105 (as with the 1906/5) you get 8 pre-outs but no Digital Co-ax out. But they both give you Pro-Logix IIx and DTS 96/24.
On comparison, the HKAVR135 has 0 pre-outs but does have a Digital Coax out. However does not do Pro-logic IIx nor DTS 96/24.

What should this mean to me?

Thanks guys!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4080
The pre-outs are useful only if you plan to add external amps, which is something I would only do if I wanted to add a 2-channel amp for music listening.

Digital coax out IMO is also of limited usefulness for most situations.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 995
I'd choose the pre-outs over the coax out. Depending on your speakers now and in the future adding external amps could be of great value. Also with this route as long as you get decent processing in the receiver the power level will not be of much importance. IMO the Denon unit will give less power than the HK, but will serve you better in the long run if you add an amp for the front speakers.

(I added a 200W/2 power amp and noticed a difference on everything from music to football)

Post Number: 3
OK - discovered the shop selling the Wharfedales is probably doing something dodgy - so I'll give the guy the flick.

I have also found another shop - much more professional looking.

I described my needs and room dimensions, etc and he has suggested the following. It is much more expensive than I was considering - but is it worth it?

HK AVR-135 (I do prefer the look of the HK over the Denon) 18,400 P or USD 368

He also recommended sticking to 5 channels only for the dimension of the room
Front: The DALI Concept 6 22,800 P or USD456
Sub: The DALI Concept SUB 21,000 P or USD420
Centre: The DALI Concept Centre 8kP or USD160
Rear: The DALI Concept 1 8,600 P or USD172

I actually love the look of these speakers as well. I would buy it just on looks alone. Makes it much easier to convince the wife as well.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4084
Not familiar with the speakers, but I agree with 5.1 over 7.1 --- of the speaker brands you listed, the one I have heard the most good things about are the DynAudios...how do they compare with the Dali speakers pricewise?

Post Number: 4
ok - I'll check some prices for DynAudio speakers. Any model numbers in particular you recommend?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4089
I haven't heard them myself, but several knowledgeable folk around here seem to like the Dynaudio 42s I think.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us