Toe-in vs. Matching Mains w/ Center...What would you do?

Username: Tomcl

Post Number: 1
Hi All,

What do you think is more important for a 7.1 home theater setup?:

1. For your front main (L/R) speakers mid-driver size to match your center's mid driver

2. Be able to toe-in your main speakers

Of course another option might be to bring the mains closer together, but that would compress the sound stage.

Notes:
-Choosing between Infinity Primus 150 (5 1/4' driver) and Infinity Primus 140 (4' driver) bookshelf speakers to match with an Infinity Primus C25 center (5 1/4' driver)
-I cannot toe-in the 150 because it cannot mount on swivel mounts...only flush against the wall. It does however match the center channel's drivers
-The smaller 140 can be mounted on swivel mounts and toed-in, but it only has a 4' driver instead of 5 1/4' like the center.
-All three speakers have the same tweeter and the 150/140 have the same wattage
-My room is 12' x 24'
-Main speakers are 10 feet apart forming a perfect triangle to couch

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 992
Either way will most likely be fine, in my opinion the tweeters is the most important thing to match with speakers. As long as the driver material is the same, the size of the drivers is not paramount, especially considering the role of the centre channel.

The 150s with the bigger driver is most likely the better option for mains, but will they sound good flush against the wall. I'd audition them in home to find out. Place them away from the wall on makeshift stands or whatever you must do and then move them flush against the wall. Most speakers benefit from having some space behind them, at least 6 inches. I'd do some more investigating.

Post Number: 2
I can't but them on stands because of my three little kids. They must be wall-mounted. If I go with the smaller 140's then they would be a few inches away from the wall. Both are front-ported, if that matters.

Regarding the mid-drivers matching I found this on the CC website:

"...In practice, this means that it is helpful for all three speakers to be of the same brand and use the same midrange driver, but close matches can be found between brands with some careful listening."

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2729
Tom, congrats on your fine uh, little family.
Just hide the speakers from harm and hope the little darlin's don't run nothin' over.

You might be best to wait a while and save up for college. And weddings.
No offense intended, just very difficult to call.

Post Number: 3
No worries.

I just ordered these:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=17529

Thanks for the feedback!

Tom

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2740
Very good Tom, I hope the whole family enjoys!

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 487
My only addition to this is that speakers have different dispersion angles so some do better toed in, usually no more than 20 degrees, while others , such as Merlins, are designed for off axis listening ( 10 degrees in this case) meaning you point them straight ahead and sit 10 degrees off the straight line from the speaker.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us