ASSIGNING DIGITAL OPTICAL to COMPONENT OUT

Username: Cerebus

Post Number: 7
CAn most receivers do this? I can't figure out how to assign the optical digital in to the component out, which leads to my projector. I have a sony k9900p, any help appreaciated.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 989
If you want the component cables to carry both audio and video, it won't work. Component cables only carry video, and optical cables only carry audio. In most cases the easiest set-up is to have the component cables going directly from the source to the projector. If you need to use the receiver for video switching, it is usually when you run out of video inputs on your display and have the receiver switch more through a single input.

So once you have the video all wired up, the sound is seperate. You need a receiver or display that has an optical input to use the digital connection. In both cases you just assign the digital signal to one of the inputs. Every receiver is different, I can do it either through the on screen display or with the "digital" button on the remote.

If you don't have optical input(s) you need to run a seperate set of 2 RCAs to get audio, so 5 rcas in total with a component connection.

Post Number: 8
The problem is at present I have my ps2 and dvd player connected to the receiver via 'component in' and then receiver 'component out' to my projector. I could put a direct feed from my dvd player to projector but that does not solve the problem becuase that is connected via digital coaxial which works fine.
I do understand that component is just video but I was trying to use my receiver as a switch, kind of. The projector is 14 feet away and on the ceiling so I only have 1 25ft component cable running to it. The component cable for the ps2 is about3 feet or something and that can not reach any other way then if I go through the receiver.
The problem starts as it seems my receiver will not allow me to assign the opptical digital in from my ps2 to the component out at the same time. I can get either to work individually but not at the same time. It does work when I give up on the optical digital in and just use analog audio.
Its like the receiver cuts off the component out video to my projector whenever I try and switch to digital audio.
thx for the reply
:/

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 993
I have my receiver set like that as well. In order to assign inputs video from either the Component 1 or Component 2 input I have to be in the on screen display. Every single input is assigned either Analog, Component 1, or Component 2. My receiver is a Harman Kardon AVR430, I'm sure every receiver's set-up varies, what receiver do you have?

Post Number: 9
I have a sony k9900p, I should probably get something better, it seems like this has a lot of little problems. Although chances are its me and just can't figure it out. It isn't a huge problem cause I can still use the analog but it would be nice to use the optical digital.

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 12
"The problem starts as it seems my receiver will not allow me to assign the opptical digital in from my ps2 to the component out at the same time."

This doesn't make any sense. Assignment of component inputs is completely separate from the choice of optical, coax, analog in.

Is this the manual for your receiver?:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-find.pl?region_id=1&mdl=STR-k9900p

I couldn't find a k9900p on the Sony support site. If this is your receiver, page 35 of the manual explains how to assign DVD to the DVD component input (which is the default) and Video 1, 2 or 3 (whichever input you're using for your PS2) to the Video2 component input.

On the same page, it explains how to set the audio signal, which has nothing to do with component video switching.

Post Number: 10
It is strange because I tried all that stuff 1st and couldn't get it to work, but after you wrote that I checked again and it worked. Thx for the help.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=37700&i=158HT9900M
This is a pic of the back of the receiver, if you look on the left the digital audio connections are 2 optical digital 1 for video 2 the other says sacd.
I got the vid 2 working, any idea if I could do it with the sacd??
thx for any help

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 16
From reading the manual, it doesn't sound like the digital inputs are assignable (like the component inputs are), so if you want to use the optical jack for CD/SACD, you'll need to be on the CD/SACD input to use it. So, if you're asking whether you can use the CD/SACD input (instead of Video2) for your PS2, then I think the answer is no. Since there is no video associated with the CD/SACD input, you would get audio only from your PS2.

Keep in mind that a SACD will not play through the optical input.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us