T-Amp / Super T -Amp for Anthony Gallo set up?

Username: Kc1

Post Number: 1
Hello everybody, I hope somebody can help a newbie

In short, my questions are:

1. Will Sonic Impact T-Amp/amps work with Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro speakers?
2. Have they got enough power?
3. Will I need T-Amp or Super T-Amp?
4. Will I need one or two amps for a surround-sound set up incorporating Anthony Gallo's MPS 150 powered sub?
5. Can anybody help me understand how to do the wiring/connections?
6. If I can't use Sonic Impact products, what else would anybody recommend that is small, and inexpensive?

What I'm really looking for is a small, inexpensive amp/amps that will work OK with my speakers. Ideally, I'd like for it to be 'set-up & forget', hidden from view, behind a plinth, so it needs to:

- be small enough to fit in a space 8' x 8' x 3ft
- not generate too much heat
- not require a remote control after set-up

The speakers are Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micros, working with a MPS 150 powered subwoofer. They replaced a Bose system, partly because I'm hoping they'll sound better (especially mid-range) and partly because I'm replacing my TV, DVD, Radio, CD with a micro-pc, like this one, with multi channel sound.

Anthony Gallo's user manuals are almost incomprehensible to me -- probably because I hardly know anything about high-end audio -- but as far as I can tell, it appears to be possible to use the sub's amp to power the front L, R and centre channels. The trouble is, I can't work out from the manuals how to make the connections work (and Anthony Gallo has not responded to my emails to the US address or UK -- where I live). The manual says:

Option 2 . Connect the center and rear surround channels directly to the receiver and set to small
enclosure. Connect the front channels (left & right) to the subwoofer via the high-level speaker outputs.
The subwoofer will need to have an adjustable or fixed crossover that can be set to only allow frequencies
of 80 hz and higher at a minimum to go to the Micros. (preferably 100 to 120hz and higher) Once this has
been done, then connect the subwoofers high level inputs to the receivers speakers connections. It is very
important to always be consistent with the (+ & -) of the speaker wires to avoid phase problems. Wiring in
this manner will allow you to run the front left and right speakers at full range. (Large enclosure) A second
subwoofer could also be run off the LFE outputs of the receiver.

I don't really understand it, but I think it means that I would only need another separate amp to power the rear L&R -- is that right? The manual for the sub/amp is here, but didn't really make much sense to me either.

Having trawled the web, it seems my options are very limited by the small size I need. I looked at was the Sonic Impact T-Amp (specs here) -- helpfully cheap at $40, and people seem to rave about it.

However some reviews like this and this, suggest it wouldn't perform as well with speakers that have a sensitivity below 90dB. The Gallo speakers are rated at 89dB. It turns out this amp has a bigger brother, the Super T-amp, which some reviewers (example, and here) indicated would work with 89dB speakers. Can anybody tell help me understand whether it could work, what the implications are? Also, can anybody tell me if 6 watts/per channel at 8 Ohms is enough for my speakers?

One more thing, the cabling that the previous owner of our house installed for speakers (under the floor, I the walls) is double insulated twin core electrical cable, in case that makes a difference.

Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro
Frequency Response 80Hz to 18 Khz
Sensitivity 89db / 2.8v into 1M
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
Power Handling 100 Watts
Driver 3 Full Range

Anthony Gallo MPS 150 powered subwoofer:
Frequency Response 24Hz to 160Hz
Nominal Impedance 4 Ohms
Power Handling 240 watt RMS, 500 watts peak
Driver 10 long throw
Crossover 40Hz to 160Hz variable

Post Number: 2
In case it helps, this is what the back of the Gallo Subwoofer Amp looks like:
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8557

Depending on the size of the room and just how how much volume you require, the T amps and an 89dB sensitivity speaker are marginal to OK. You will not play loudly with this combination and the demands of home theater will probably not be met.

You need (at least) two stereo amplifiers for the four channels of the front and rear speakers. The connection instructions you have provided are only telling you how to make the connection. The subwoofer amplifier drives only the subwoofer. You still need an amplifier for the front channels. And one for the rear channels. And something to power the center speaker. So, you will require at least three T amps. I suggest you buy the better amplifier as it does sound noticeably better. However, the character of the T amp is well suited to a music system and not so well suited to home theater. I think you might do better spending the same amount of money on a HT receiver, if HT is your primary source.

Speaking of sources, you'll need something to send all the signals to the amplifiers and, if you use the T amps, someway to control the volume of all the channels at the same time. That will require a HT receiver with pre amp outputs or a HT processor and the appropriate cables. All of which are getting the price up there. Once again I would look for a HT receiver before I spent the money on the T amps if HT is your main source.

Username: Kool2

Post Number: 2
plz send my new keys for pantac 2700

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8166
How about you get keys somewhere else? Learn to read, this area is for Home Audio Amps NOT an area to ask for keys!

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 48
hhahaha berny

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2741
kc, THANK YOU for forwarding your well thought out and informed question to the forum!

The little T-amp is very rewarding in little doses.
I use it to power Ling speakers from Alegriia Audio.
The little amp is fun, but a bigger tripath chip can be even more fun.
I have no issues with the T.
I use it to listen at 1 meter.
Quite nice and very quiet.

It will not power anything below 89-90 with hapiness on the listeners part.
Unless it is used, as I do to listen at the desk(the comm).
In which case, the little amp will power a pair of Lings quite nicely.

Especially with the new release of 'the million dollar quartet' from sun records.
Elvis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis as a live impromptu recording circa 1956.

Man the Lings just lived for live 50's!

Post Number: 3
I must admit, I havent really understood the sensitivity thing, but I trust your judgement.
Have you any idea whether this other "class-T" amp would do it?

The sensitivity is specified, but the other details are:

• "Class T" architecture
• Tripath TAA4100A chips
• Output power: up to 4 x 100 W on 4 Ohms
• Frequency response: <10hz> 70 Khz
• High dynamic range
• 0.01% THD+N @ 40W on 4Ohms
• Pop-free start and stop control
• Overcurrent and overvoltage protection
• Power supply: 12 to 27 V DC or 9 to 18 V AC
• Board dimentions: only 12 x 7.5 cm

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8573

Look at the picture. That is what you get for your money. A board and the components to stuff it with. You have to do the construction of the amplifier, supply all the input/output connections, add a power supply transformer and a case. None of this is difficult to do, if you have experience in doing very good soldering jobs on very small components. If you don't know how to solder, and I mean very well, don't attempt this project. If you don't understand the proper connection of a power supply transformer, don't attempt this project.

The instructions for the Audio Digit amplifiers are very well written considering they are translated from Italian to English. None the less, if you are having trouble understanding sensitivity, you will have problem understanding the instructions which come with this amplifier. Having constructed the Audiocoustriere amplifier which is this amp's two channel cousin, I speak from experience with these products. If you screw up a solder trace, you will blow up the amplifier when you try to power it up.

Assuming you go ahead and try this amplifier kit:

After you have the amplifiers constructed, you would still have to deal with the issues of making everything work together as I outlined in my intial post. Without some type of control unit, you cannot simply connect three amplifiers to your DVD player and expect things to work properly.

You need to seriously re-think this problem.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the reply.

For controlling the volume of the respective channels, I should be able to do that using the pc shouldn't I - its seems the audio driver lets me specify different volumes for each speaker? That would mean I wouldn't need another box?

I don't suppose the assembly would be that difficult - I know someone who is good at soldering, and in fact, the manufacturer/kit supplier emailed back saying they're expecting to provide a pre-assembled/cased version at some point...but they didnt say anything about "sensivity".

The thing I don't understand, though, is whether to 4 x 100 W on 4 Ohms (which I presume is like 4 x50W on 8 Ohms), is all I need to know about the amp or whether I need to know something else to work out how whether it will work with my speakers rated "Sensitivity 89db / 2.8v into 1M"?

How can I work out what the rating is?

Is it the Tripath chip that controls the amp's "sensitivity" or something else?

Will 4x50W compensate for any sensitivity issues?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 8580

I'm not sure how to answer your question. "Sensitivity" is a measure of how much voltage a component, speaker or amplifier, requires to reach a certain output level. The T chip amp will be sensitive enough for your needs and 89dB speakers are considered reasonably efficient. You shouldn't have problems with this pairing. If you run out of volume, it won't be the fault of the amplifiers or the speakers.

And, yes, there is little you can find out about an amplifier by looking at a piece of paper. I saw where AudioDigit was planning pre assembled units, but I know they are backed up supplying the product they already have. I've seen no solid release date on the factory assembled units.

If you can run the various output levels both independently to set intial levels, and simultaneously to adjust all speakers together for everyday listening, the computer will probably work for your control device. I would make certain you had this amount of control before I proceeded with the amplifiers.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us