Need help hooking up speakers

Username: Chilledfresh

Post Number: 1
Aloha everyone,

I recently purchased a pair of Axiom M3's to use with my computer and iPod, but have no idea how to hook them up. The speaker uses a "banana" plug, but I have no idea what that is. How do I hook these speakers up to my computer/iPod? I figure I'll need to buy an amp, but don't want to spend more than the speakers themselves. A quality amp would be nice, but right now I just want to be able to use the speakers. Under $100 would be great.

I have no idea what I'm doing, all I know is I bought some speakers that I can't hook up. Any help would be greatly appreciated in getting me going here. Mahalo!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8163
You don't have to use banana plugs and those speakers are not limited to that type of connection.

You don't hook it up directly to the computer, you are going to need a receiver

Username: Chilledfresh

Post Number: 2
I've been eyeing the Harmon Kardon 3480 2-channel receiver. Is that a good system? Also, what type of connections/cable would you recommend to hook everything together?

Bronze Member
Username: Anubis

Birmingham, West Midlands England

Post Number: 30
The speaker terminals on most good equipment is a pierced and threaded shank, down onto which an insulated shrouded collar screws home to cramp the bare cable ends, after inserting them through the piercing.

Alternatively, there is often provision, down the centre of said assembly, to stick bananas into. Banana plugs are so called, since their cylindrical contact surface is split open down the length and teased out , making them grip by spring-action into the hollow shafts of the speaker terminals. At first glance, they resemble a split, unpeeled banana (albeit straight instead of curved). The end where you put the wire is a coloured (black or red) shaft, through which a grub screw tightens across to grip the raw wire-end. The process is similar and as simple as wiring a mains plug.

I'd recommend 24 carat gold plated ones. Make sure you twist the wires well, before inserting them. Even better, carefully drop on a blob of sliver solder to seal the entire length of bare wire ensuring you don't make them too thick in the process. Don't melt the insulation, either. This makes a sound connection and also keeps the ends from splaying.

The bananas will then just snap home into the hollow shafts of the binding posts, found rear of amp and speaker cabs.

Hope this helps. Many others will be better at recommending cable brands than I. Personally, I check it is OFC (oxygen free) and with at least some measure of gold on the tips. Some will tell you not to bother spending more than a few bob, others will counsel you to regard the interconnects as important as any component. I stick somewhere in the middle to keep costs down and quality as high as possible for the budget. Your dealer should be able to show you a variety of suitable cabling, relative to the cost and quality of your chosen units. Prepare to spend around £15-30 if you are going hi-end and £6-10 if you are on a tight budget. Some cables cost in the £60s and £70s, but you can always upgrade in the coming years. This keeps the whole system evolving and always full of new surprises.

A/V

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Prices I've mentioned are per inter-unit cable connect, btw - not for the whole lot! Speaker cable is usually sold by the metre, off a drum. Again, there are many different levels of quality to choose from.

A/V

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4224
Anubis,

What a pleasure to read your post.

Gavin,

You still need an amplifier.

Consider a "T-amp". See the post Buy this amplifier.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4142
that HK would do a better job of taming the Axioms' brightness than the T-Amp. An even warmer receiver would be Marantz, look up accessories4less.com for some great deals.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
While we're on the subject of the T-Amp, John - do you really think it's going to be better than an old NAD? VFM doesn't always mean the better sound. It often just means VFM. Relatively. I'm not sceptical, however... genuinely interested to know if anyone's ever tested them against each other. Not because the NAD is paritcularly brilliant, but because it has character.

Wrong thread for this really. Forgive.

A/V

Username: Arich1

Post Number: 1
I have two speakers that i want to hook up to my conputer for use with recording music. I'm not sure what i need to hook them up to my computer. So if anybody has information, please email me at guitrplyr423@aol.com, thankz

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
You'll need a stereo amplifier, unless those speakers are active ones. If it's really just a case of being able to monitor your recordings, I would recomend getting a used bargain of a good domestic amp, unless you're fussy about the playback quality. What kind of speakers are they? Quality Hi-Fi speakers, or are they out of a dis-used system? Are there wires attached to them already or empty screw/spring terminals?

When you have an amp, you will then need an interconnect which goes from a small (1.5) stereo jack from the soundcard, to two phono plugs.

Your choice of amplifier will depend on the speakers and then - it's intended purpose, versus how much you're willing to spend.

A/V
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us