JBL E100, Athena AS-F2 or Klipsch F2?

Username: Traderkane

Post Number: 1
I'm looking for some advice as to which of these speakers would be a good choice for me. I have an older stereo system (approx. 9 years old), a JVC amplifier, a 10 band equalizer, and Fisher speakers with 15 inch woofers. After all the years, the speakers died. I purchased Infinity primus 250 speakers, and when I turned the volume up a bit, it sounded like the bass drivers were going to blow.
I listen to most types of music, favoring 80's and classic rock. I like to hear all the instruments, and I want to hear strong bass, but not a rolling, vibrating bass...and yes, these speakers will be devoted to music only.
I picked the speakers listed because of price and reviews.
Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 4060
> I purchased Infinity primus 250 speakers, and when I turned the volume up a bit, it sounded like the bass drivers were going to blow.

That actually sounds like the amp being underpowered and clipping more than the speakers' fault.

In any case, of those 3 I'd take the Athenas hands down.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Edster922. I've read lots of good reviews on the Athenas, so I'll choose them. If I still hear strange noise, do you recommend a stronger amp or receiver?

Bronze Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 14
I would second Eddies opinion, although the Klipsch F-2 is on the same page IMO. Both would be worth listening to if you have the ability to. And Eddie is correct about the JVC receiver as well. Of note though, the Klipsch model is a particularly efficient speaker, and will go as loud as the infinities/athenas with about half the power, if loud is important to you. I would nonetheless get a new receiver/amp at your earliest convienence. JR.com has a pretty solid 80wpc Harman Kardon stereo receiver for 199, which would be a good bet. I would get rid of the eq if i were you though.

Post Number: 3
Many thanks Stephen. I checked-out JR.com...lots of toys at good prices there, with free shipping on most items...thanks again. I'll look into the Harman Kardon, and am also considering Yamaha. Why no eq?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4114
Most people find that a good receiver and speakers usually sound best with tone controls on neutral, unless you are listening to a really bad recording or have truly horrible room acoustics. Emphasis on "good."

Yes if the Athenas also produce the same clipping-type sounds, you'll need to replace the receiver. The HK 3380 or 3480 are both excellent choices in their price range.

Gold Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 1172
I would not go with the yamaha if you decide on klipsch speakers. the combination would be ear bleedingly bright.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1532
Gavin, the Klipsch forum is full of people who no longer believe this. Perhaps receivers don't differ in sound as much as they used to?

Bronze Member
Username: Stefanom

Silver Spring, MD United States

Post Number: 17
Either way, for 199 you would be hard pressed to beat an 80 wpc HK stereo receiver. Sure Yamaha sounds fine, and they may not be as bright as they used to, but there isnt much out there that can deliver the current quite like HK at that price point. Keeping in mind that a lot of Klipsch models do have pretty low dips (2 ohms on some models) in the impedance curve, I'd say the HK is the best bet. Just my opinion though.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1537
I do like HK receivers. I use a avr-325 myself (a few years old now). My Klipsch speakers are very easy to drive, but I liked the fact that the HK receivers could handle more difficult loads.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4119
Apparently the newer Yammies are more neutral than bright, or so I've read with increasing frequency lately.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2797
Believe ir when I hear it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4123
actually even Art said so about his RXV-657 before he got his tubes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us